Thread: dog training breaking leash pulling

dog training breaking leash pulling

I have taken up to walking my uncles 4 dogs Blue(male basset 9 yrs)Sarah(female sheltie 5 yos) Liza(female beagle 1 yo)and Rocky(pit bull mix 10 months)
    Liza and Rocky both have never been trained to walk on a leash and pull like crazy.I was wondering how do you break them of it and teach them to behave on there walks.Sarah is an angel and only pulls off and on when she gets excited but behaves great.Blue is very slow and clam so I walk him by himself and only for a short walk.
    Sarah and Rocky I walk together.They both have the same pass.
    Sarah goes again with Liza or Liza goes by herself.
    any ideas????
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

This is what I would do. Put the leash on the dog and walk forward, as soon as they pull/go to the end of the leash turn around and walk quickly in the opposite direction. Hopefully they'll understand after a couple times and stop pulling. Good luck, I think it's great that you're walking your uncle's dogs!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    This is what I would do. Put the leash on the dog and walk forward, as soon as they pull/go to the end of the leash turn around and walk quickly in the opposite direction. Hopefully they'll understand after a couple times and stop pulling. Good luck, I think it's great that you're walking your uncle's dogs!
    That is EXACTLY the method I use as well.. Not only that but the dog is so please they got it right they wag their tails in pleasure...

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    I'm gonna have to try that with Jasper. With Star and Wilbur, I used to just stop in my tracks whenever there was any pressure on the leash, and it worked great. Jasper doesn't care if I stop though!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Thanks everone!
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

How is it going?

I'll have to give this one a try too. My dog is 2 years old and still pulls like mad plus he chases cars which makes it even worse.

It works... !

Have the dogs in question actually been taught the command heel yet?

They don't know that they have to stay within the range of a loose leash by your side if you don't teach them. I mean, my dogs and any other dogs I walk certainly aren't expected to stay at a perfect heel by my side, but once I taught them the command and started using it, I never had a problem with heeling since. What I do after teaching the command is when the dog starts to pull, I'll stop and let the dog hit the end of the leash then tell it to heel. Pretty soon the dog learns that if it wants to walk, then it needs to stay within the range of the loose leash.
    I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!