Thread: Archie bit me last night

Archie bit me last night

The fact that he was going for Tobey and got my arm instead doesn't make it any better. Now what do I do?
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

How badly did he bite you and how did he react when it happened? How's he reacting to you now?

Sorry to hear this Denise. I'm no expert but it sounds like he may have just accidentally bit you. You think so? Was he biting at Tobey ferociously or just playing. Gosh, I hope you're all ok

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I agree - if you accidentally get on the business end of a dogfight it can happen. When I had a Pyr I read that the suggested way of separating two fighting Pyrs was to grab their tails to pull them apart (Pyrs don't mind you grabbing their tail for some reason) but never get in front. What I've also read is that if they accidentally get you they immediately shrink back and act chagrined - biting the alpha is a no no and in any case most dogs have been bred for bite inhibition towards humans. But I KNOW how scary it is to see any sort of dogfight or serious prey drive.

And I hope you're all OK now too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    The fact that he was going for Tobey and got my arm instead doesn't make it any better. Now what do I do?

Brody's Mum,

I don't know if you know Carrie or not, but she is a very respected trainer
    and also a poster to PT.Seeing your other thread, also about Archie, I would
    suggest you PM Carrie about these problems you are running into with Archie.

It's really important to nip this behavior in the bud, before it escalates.
    Carrie could really help you with this. Here is her profile(with PM address)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/member.php?u=663
    I would be anxious to her her opinions. Best of luck with Archie.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Was he playing with Tobey? If so, I wouldn't worry.

If it wasn't play, was Tobey bothering him? I let my two duke it out at times (it is stopped if it gets too serious) if it is justified. (For example, Molly always chews on Mickey's ear. He'll snarl at her as a warning, but that usually gets her more riled up so he clings on to her cheek and growls). I see nothing wrong with letting them do this.

It's sounds like he bit you by pure accident. How did he react? I would guess he knew that he made a mistake.

I hope the problem isn't too serious with Archie!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Thanks for all your replies. Had the day off work today (not connected with the biting incident) so only just got to log on.

The more I think of it the more convinced I am that it was Tobey who bit me - but whichever one it was it was an accident, I was in the way.....

Had a tetanus shot and am on a course of antibiotics just in case - arm was quite swollen and sore today

Anyway, both dogs have been much better today - I think they were as upset as I was......no show of aggression towards me and only play fighting between them. Have been reinforcing my "alpha" status with them at every opportunity........

lizbud - thank you for the link, I will be getting in touch for some tips

oh no, I missed this before, glad things are getting better with Archie & Tobey though. Good luck!

Exclamation Bite Down

i work for vets all day and iv been biten by tons of dog and by my dogs it all depends how thay reacted to what thay done

Quote Originally Posted by ROXY1507
    i work for vets all day and iv been biten by tons of dog and by my dogs it all depends how thay reacted to what thay done
    they were both very subdued and well behaved......it won't last

I am glad to her that your pups are being good doggies. I guess dogs have bad days too and they make mistakes too! Lou Lou had a bad day a few weeks back and you could tell she knew it was wrong!

OUCHIE
    I hope it is just a one-time-thing. And, I hope your arm doesn't hurt to much..... poor Denise
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge