Thread: Prayers needed, please

Prayers needed, please

I know there's a lot going on right now but I hope there's room for another prayer request. My friend, Debbie is a dear special person and a MAJOR animal lover. Her dog, Millie, a 13 yr old poodle adopted from a puppy mill, has pancreatitis. Millie has had many health problems through the years, right from the start. That's why Debbie adopted her -- she was afriad noone else would take in this needy little pup. Deb is single, doesn't have much in the way of family and is disabled. Millie is her world and although Deb and I have talked about what life will be like without Miss mill, how to cope, etc ---- you all just know how hard it is to face the possibility. Please pray that Millie will pull through and that Debbie will be able to handle whatever comes her way. Thank you all so much for your compassion and consideration.

Poor Millie What a wonderful person your friend Debbie is to have given this very needy pup such a wonderful home; so much love these many years. It's the hardest thing, trying to cope with the idea of losing a best friend like Millie. And Debbie is so very lucky to have a caring friend like yourself. Me and Star and Cody will put our hands and paws together and pray hard for Millie's recovery and for strength and comfort for Debbie. What did the vet say?? Is Millie's condition treatable? Please let us know how they're doing. And please tell Debbie that she can come here anytime to talk. We all know what she's going through right now Love, Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

My prayers will be with your friend Debbie and her beloved Millie--I hope everything will be alright.
    Please keep us updated on the situation.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I understand the pain and fear associated with Pancreatitis. My Chester has it as well. Is Millie hospitalized right now and getting IV fluids? I know that the day will come when I have to hospitalize Chester, but for right now it’s manageable with diet and exercise. Some very special prayers going out for Millie and Debbie.

Thank you so much for your wonderful offerings of prayer and for your concern for a fellow animal lover. Millie's problem surfaced about 3AM so Debbie took Mill in to the vet as soon as they opened at 7. The vet had Deb leave Millie for treatment as Mill was dehydrated from vomiting, extremely lethargic and just very sick. Debbie called me an hour or so ago and had this to say: The vet had called her to come get her dog!!!! What They'd done bloodwork and sure enough, Millie's liver and pancreas enzymes were elevated showing damage and inflammation in those organs. They'd given her IV fluids which pooled on Millie's side where they'd administered them. Oh, they also gave her a shot for the vomiting but evidently no antibiotics and did not send any home with Debbie for later, either. Our Rat had pancreatitits twice and she was treated quite differently (not the same vet). She was hospitalized both times and it was touch and go for several days. It's my conclusion that this doctor has basically sent Millie home for her last visit. I hope, hope, hope that I am mistaken. I guess only time will tell.

Sandra - Your invitation for Deb to visit on-line at PT was so very sweet. Unfortunately, Debbie is computer-less. I have shown her POTD on my computer when she has come to my house for a visit. She was thrilled to see so many people from all over the world who cared about animals so very much. My husband and I promised Deb quite awhile ago that we would bury Millie here in our yard as Deb lives in an apartment. That way she could come visit Millie as she needed to and if that happens, I will sit her down with the computer and show her how to access you guys.

Oh, here come the tears You know, several PT members have had their doggies treated for pancreatitis, including Rachel, Jackie and micki. I myself have never had a doggie with this condition, though I know that usually re-hydration, antibiotics, diet changes, etc. are part of the treatment. It sounds like they gave Millie sub q fluids. They fluids will "pool" just under skin but be absored over several hours. Did the vet offer any reassurance??? Having dealt with this with your beloved Rat, I'm sure your advice will be greatly appreciated re: appropriate treatment. Maybe you could talk with your vet; get some suggestions/advice?? I just hope it's not home for a final visit How very kind of you to offer your home for Millie's final resting place, when the time comes. Hopefully, that won't be for a long while yet. Please keep us updated. And PLEASE, do tell Debbie that there are many people rooting for her beautiful Millie. Thinking of you Debbie and Millie with love and sending positive thoughts your way. I'll bet Millie is happy to be home with her Mommy Sandra

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Update

Just a quickie---- Had another call from Deb and Millie is doing a little better ( as is her mom ). Sandra - you were right on the spot about the Subcu fluids. Deb read me the bill from the vet and it did indeed state that was how they gave Mill the saline, etc. Thank you for cluing me in on that. I felt better myself knowing that she was having a normal response and that it
    wasn't another problem. Whew!!

Thank you all, too for letting me vent and for being so generous with your time and support. I read Deb your responses and good wishes and she was floored (in a good way).

I love seeing the photos of all of your babies. Chester's ears are a hoot in that one picture! I WILL eventually learn to post pics and look forward to sharing more with you incredible folks. (Insert tiny heart logo here ) Love, Bobbi

Oh Bobbi, I couldn't have hoped for a happier note to close the day on! We'll be saying an extra special prayer tonight for Millie!! I'll bet those fluids did lots to perk her up!! Hopefully, taking a day at a time, Millie can muster the strength to pull through this! What a little fighter! I'll bet it's her mommy's love that's the best medicine of all. I can just picture Debbie holding her close this very moment!! Please update us tomorrow as soon as you get an update, ok?? Love and hugs and slurpy licks to our new friends, Debbie and Millie. (And to you too, Bobbi!)
    Sandra, Cody and Star

Thanks for keeping us updated, Bobbi. I'm glad you brought the post over here too, where the dog lovers could see it and be in support as well.

I hope Millie will continue to improve.

Paws, claws and fingers crossed here!

Logan

Our vet doesn't treat with antibiotics either. Most of the info I've found says they are discovering that they really don't aid in the recovery of pancreatitis. With Chester it's an ongoing problem with bouts of it every now and then. Our best course of action has been a change in diet to a very low fat food and we're increasing his exercise (and mine ). We've had pretty good results so far. I hope all goes well for little Millie and her Mommy.

Chester syas thank you for the compliment on his ears. I love them too and I kiss them every morning!

I am most relieved to hear that the current thinking on pancreatitis does not include antibiotics. I was so afraid that Millie wasn't getting adequate care when the vet didn't use them. This gives me more hope still that Miss Mill will pull through

Micki76 --- I'm still thinking of you and your dad and wishing him the best. That's great that he did not have to get the feeding tube. Will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Adios to all --- Bobbi

Bobbi.. please accept my apologies for being behind in PT...but I'm so relieved that the last post was promising and that Millie and her mom are doing better!! You sound like a wonderful, caring person and a loyal, dear friend, so not only is she lucky to have you in her life, but we are too!!! Fingers and paws crossed here for a speedy recovery for Millie!! {hugs}

I've been Boooo'd!

Bobbi, when I read your first post, I knew immediately how important Millie was to Debbie. Once you have a dog that means everything to you, it is hard to even let the thought enter your mind that one day they will not be with you. And to see them in a situation where they are ill and there is so little one can do to make them better is the worst.

Prayers are on the way for Millie and for Debbie. I have a special affinity for poodles as my Hannah is part poodle as were my two RB girls Bailey and Tizzie.

My Hannah did have an episode where she was very ill and hospitalized. Her liver enzymes were very elevated and she was treated with anitibiotics and intraveneous fluids for several days. She made a complete recovery. I don't know that we ever really knew cause of her problem, but it has been two years since the episode and she has not had any more problems. I shall pray that Millie is able to overcome her current struggle as well.
    Please keep us up on how Millie and Debbie are doing. And tell them how much we care.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Originally posted by iloverat
    I am most relieved to hear that the current thinking on pancreatitis does not include antibiotics. I was so afraid that Millie wasn't getting adequate care when the vet didn't use them. This gives me more hope still that Miss Mill will pull through

Micki76 --- I'm still thinking of you and your dad and wishing him the best. That's great that he did not have to get the feeding tube. Will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Adios to all --- Bobbi
    Thank you Bobbi, that's so very sweet of you! Dad's a MAJOR dog person and he was so happy to know that all my Pet Talker friends were there for him!

I hope Millie has many more years left with her Mommy! Give her a big ole smooch for me!

Hi Bobbi, I was just checking to see if there was any news about Millie. I think she has a good chance, it was so long ago that our first Schnauzer had pancreatitis, but with a very light diet, she did well. If Millie does not want to drink water, Debbie could get a sort of large eye dropper from the Vet, they usually have them and I fed our little schnauzer girl Daisy the water that way quite often and it did the trick when she wouldn't drink.
    I know how much Millie means to Debbie and of course we are keeping the prayers going and thinking positive thoughts and keeping paws crossed too. Please tell her to give Millie lots of hugs from us, and thank you for the update.
    Jackie, Perry and Daisy