Thread: Cat Neighborhoods

Cat Neighborhoods

I am fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood with quite a few cats. It does bother me that so many people have indoor/outdoor cats but I rarely see a cat that doesn't look like they are being taken care of by someone (or several someones ). People who live in the neighborhood go slowly and watch for kitties and there isn't much outside traffic. There are parts of Eugene that have a lot of cats floating around but this area in particular seems like the most cat friendly area. Even the dogs I see being walked around are for the most part respectful to the cats. I must admit I do like being greeted by a few friendly legrubs and a meow or two. I know every one of my neighbors cats and they know mine. My crew seems to like to talk to the cats outside through the window.

Does anyone else live in an area as friendly to cats?

I have a regular Noah's Ark of Animals at the Found Cat Hotel.
    I have the Porch Cats , Birds , Squirrels, Racoons and the Odd Oppossum too and some Field Mice too.
    I put out drty Cat Food , and Walnuts too and pieces of fruit
    I would hate for anyone to go hungry here.
    There is some Big Males up the street plus Pouncer Roccalno up the street and I will have to winter proof their Shelter , its getting cold.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My area is dangerous for all outdoor animals. My neighbors are coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, racoons, large owls, hawks, etc etc etc....

However, I am really glad to see at least one area in Eugene is pet friendly. I hope to be moving to the River Road area within the next 3 years. My kitties won't be going outside but it's nice to know about a neighborhood that is conscious of animal safety....
    Last edited by dehlers43; 10-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

My neighborhood is not cat friendly. We have 3 feral cat colonies. A few years back, I spoke with the folks feeding them suggesting we get them neutered. They wanted to, and decided to ask THEIR neighbors for funding help. Not a lot, just a few dollars here and there, we all know it adds up.

Several people suggested we just catch and drown them! Two told us they regularly put out poison!

We also have coyotes, hawks, and raccoons, to name a few "natural" predators.

Our neighbors that used to live across from us had two cats that were indoor/outdoor. And the younger one would always greet me when I came home. He'd even jump in my car and explore around. Unfortunately, we live right by a main/busy road and he was killed.

Our neighbors that live in that same house now have two indoor/outdoor kitties. The orange one is friendly and lets the neighbors 5 year old twins pet him. The tortie, on the other hand, won't be touched. Surprised? I thought not. LOL

Other than that I've only seen a little gray kitty a few times wandering around. I have no idea where it lives and I don't see it often.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by dehlers43 View Post
    My area is dangerous for all outdoor animals. My neighbors are coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, racoons, large owls, hawks, etc etc etc....

However, I am really glad to see at least one area in Eugene is pet friendly. I hope to be moving to the River Road area within the next 3 years. My kitties won't be going outside but it's nice to know about a neighborhood that is conscious of animal safety....
    River road is extremely busy and not very good for outdoor cats. I used to live out there for a short time and saw many kitties that had gotten run over . No one goes slowly because it is such a main artery for the city. I live next to a very nice small park with a lot of children so people are inclined to go slowly as is. Add on top of it that most of the neighborhood residents are animal people and it makes for niceness all around. I guess it helps too that the neighborhood cat vet has a good reputation! My boy has an appointment tomorrow to see them so I will for sure post my review as this is the first time I will have had personal experience with them.

I live in a small, closed neighborhood were cats represent the 70% of the pet population and most of them are indoor/outdoor cats (and some doggies too) and everyone respect and are friendly with them, you can see them running and going from here to there and everywhere peacefully, thank God, even kids (that sometimes are mean) respect them and cars go slowly because it's a small neighborhood and it has speed bumps.
    astrid

My next-door neighbors have two cats that go out on their balcony -- they are sooooo cute! (Enzo the Yorkie's kitty siblings) One of the end units also has a kitty who goes on the balcony.

My mom and dad's neighborhood is another story. There are four cats that belong to 3 different houses. One is orange with a full tail; one is solid black; one is a brown tabby and one is black and white. I wish the people around their block would keep their cats inside. There are possums, raccoons and cars about and I hope the cats don't encounter any of them.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I remember when I was in an aprtment and Pouncer and Scrappy went out on my enclosed balcony. Well my neighbor who was an excellent cook , had a formal dinner party, and had set out a big feed,
    Pouncer and Scrappy were looking in at the balcony door and were noticed and someone remarked that the last of the guests had arrived!!!
    She did not want them to fall off the balcony by chasing them , so she put scraps on a paper plate and slid it under the partition!!
    I wondered how that had such a nice dinner!!!
    I apologized and tightened the security , but they were interested in going next door , until the Lady moved in with her children.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

We live in an area with covenants against wandering pets. There is good reason; we live bordering a large forest land and it is just not safe. That's not the core reason, of course, but I'm glad the regulations are there. I am not fond of peeling my kitty off the slider door when she is 'visited' by another kitty.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I live in a condo complex and dogs and cats aren't welcome outside in the common areas. People do walk their dogs around the complex which is allowed as long as they're on a leash. They set out cat traps when they start seeing feral cats hanging around and they post signs warning us to keep our cats inside. All of my cats are always inside so I don't have to worry. I also live near some busy streets.

In my parents neighborhood, many people have indoor/outdoor cats. There used to be a lot of cats that I'd see when I would take walks with my parents. Now I rarely see any cats. Most of the cats have died over the years. Some were hit by cars. When my parents had a cat it was also indoor/outdoor. They still see nothing wrong with this and think that this is how it should be. My dad already told me that if for some reason one of my cats had to live with them that it would have to be indoor/outdoor too.

Quote Originally Posted by DJFyrewolf36 View Post
    River road is extremely busy and not very good for outdoor cats. I used to live out there for a short time and saw many kitties that had gotten run over . No one goes slowly because it is such a main artery for the city. I live next to a very nice small park with a lot of children so people are inclined to go slowly as is. Add on top of it that most of the neighborhood residents are animal people and it makes for niceness all around. I guess it helps too that the neighborhood cat vet has a good reputation! My boy has an appointment tomorrow to see them so I will for sure post my review as this is the first time I will have had personal experience with them.
    Good info! I don't intend to live right on River Road and my kitties are indoor only....well, except when the Princess tries to escape....
    One of my upcoming projects is to see if she can be leash trained...
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"