Thread: Public service announcement:

Public service announcement:

If you don't have a will,

GET ONE!

It will avoid all sorts of unpleasant issues (Custody of minor children, property, insurance.....)

Please?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I have one...my lawyer got disbarred...it's in another lawyer's files now...need $400 to finish it (it includes a Personal Directive, which is what a Living Will is technically called in Canada).

However, the cemetery where my dad and sister are buried has a sign for will kits, available at the office. I have gone over a few wills, including retyping my cousin's, and started up my own based on my sister's a while back.

Think I will get that kit, do my own, and get it notarized. Thanks so much for the reminder.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you! Yes, that is EXCELLENT advice.

I do have one, made two or three years ago.

I think I want to make a few changes in specific bequests, but at least if I don't manage to do that, my estate (such as it is) goes first to the lifetime care of whatever cats or pets I have at the time and then whatever is left afterwards to the Best Friends Animal Society.

Since we are all animal lovers here, I encourage everyone to make it official that your love for animals extends beyond your lifetime!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My problem is: WHO do I know who can care for my crew of 14???

Until I can answer that, I do have a problem with the care for the pets provision.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

Until I can answer that, I do have a problem with the care for the pets provision.
    You can have a basic will, and work on that provision later. Maybe you can talk to a lawyer about it, and she or he would have a suggestion, maybe some sort of trust could be set up? I dunno, I am not a lawyer!
    I've Been Frosted

ANYTHING is better than nothing.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    ANYTHING is better than nothing.

You sound like you're speaking from personal experience. I've told my
    children what I would want, but I guess a will would be better for everyone.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

They all know what you want, but does the probate court know?

With a will they needn't even get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    They all know what you want, but does the probate court know?

With a will they needn't even get involved.
    In Ohio, this is not accurate. A will gets admitted to probate. Probate isn't this evil thing many people think of it as. A properly done will/estate planning document makes probate a breeze. Their involvement will depend on the work done prior to one's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

This is one of my concerns, too. As it is set up now, my sister will take responsibility and care for my crew. But I don't have anyone else lined up in case she is not available. I don't really know who else I could even ask to do this.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    In Ohio, this is not accurate. A will gets admitted to probate. Probate isn't this evil thing many people think of it as. A properly done will/estate planning document makes probate a breeze. Their involvement will depend on the work done prior to one's death.

Thanks for the correction, Cataholic.

It's what I meant, but it's not what came out.