Thread: anyone on Wellbutrin?

anyone on Wellbutrin?

Since I was 16 (now 23) I've been on medication for depression and anxiety. I've just recently (about 3 weeks ago) started on Wellbutrin XL. I had been Zoloft, but my body got too used to it and it wasn't working any more. My doctor then put me on Lexapro. That did nothing for me at all, in fact I was worse than ever.

My doctor then put me on Wellbutrin XL. I've never felt better. At first I didn't have any noticeable side effects, but starting yesterday I was very itchy all over. I've developed some hives on my face, neck, and back. Everywhere else is itchy too though- my arms, hands, legs, feet, stomach, chest, basically everywhere I have skin I itch. Justin is going to call my doctor in a little while, though he hasn't been able to yet because he's at work.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is (or has been) on Wellbutrin and had this problem. It is a known side effect and so far the only one I've experienced.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

My mom is on it but doesn't experience that. That sounds really frustrating. I have an itchy rash right now and it's driving me up the wall!

wow, that is why I'm not on wellbutrin anymore! isn't it not an individual reaction anymore?

stop taking immediately. why not can you call?
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

I agree w/ Gina, if this is a symptom that just occured and you're getting hives I'd suggest you call your Dr. ASAP, you may need to stop taking it right away.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I am treated for depression and anxiety as well. My doctor almost put me on Wellbutrin but decided to put me on Effexor instead. Have you tried it? It's different than other meds --- other meds only work with your seritonin -- this ones works with both that AND your epinephrine, which is why it's been shown to be more effective. It's the only med I've been on so far that hasn't given me nasty side effects, and I've been on Paxil, Prozac, Serenity, and Celexa.
    I've been BOO'd!

This sounds like an allergic reaction. Please talk to you doctor right away.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I agree with what the others said - you will probably have to go off of it, but ease off very slowly and make sure to talk to your doctor first.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
    isn't it not an individual reaction anymore?
    I'm not sure what that means?
    In the paper thing that comes with the prescription it's listed under "most common side effect".

Quote Originally Posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
    why not can you call?
    I have a major Phone- phobia.

Justin called right after I posted this. He's still waiting for a call back. They close at 6. I just asked him to call again. If he doesn't get to talk to the doctor I'll ask him to stop at the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist.

I'm really not too worried about it, it's just annoying. Everything I've been on has had side effects and it's always boiled down to either deal with them or switch meds again. This is not one I'd just deal with though.
    - Kari

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    I am treated for depression and anxiety as well. My doctor almost put me on Wellbutrin but decided to put me on Effexor instead. Have you tried it? It's different than other meds --- other meds only work with your seritonin -- this ones works with both that AND your epinephrine, which is why it's been shown to be more effective. It's the only med I've been on so far that hasn't given me nasty side effects, and I've been on Paxil, Prozac, Serenity, and Celexa.

I've never been on that or any of the ones you listed other than Paxil. I've been on Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, and now Wellbutrin. I got off the Paxil because it is a category C drug and I have to be on a catagory B if (and when) I become pregnant. I really really like the Wellbutrin except for this itching which just started. Yesterday I didn't even realize it was the pills. It was Justin who remembered earlier this afternoon that it was listed as a side effect. That's when I posted this.
    - Kari

well, mine didn't. (different states, I guess) -

and it is an allergic reaction, not often everyone have that. you said you started three weeks ago, I got hives just two weeks after I started then the day after I started hives, my throat swollen and I couldn't breath. are they big or small hives, it started yesterday or today? but please watch out for the next few days!! I don't think you should keep taking it either way.
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

I've been on Wellbutrin. Didn't have any side effects. I was on Zoloft and built up an immunity to it. I was also on Effexor and those side effects were awful!! If I forgot to take it (which I do now and again), I'd suffer from vertigo. I hated Effexor. That's when he put me on Paxil. I've been on it ever since and have been very happy with it.

I'd call your doctor. It sounds like you're having an allergic reaction from it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I am on Wellbutrin too. I wouldn't quit taking it, though, without first talking to the doctor who prescribed it to you. I have a phone phobia too but mine is not horrible; I can call people if I *have* too but I prefer Mike to do it for me. I'm glad you have someone to make the call for you.

Please keep us informed. I hope you are feeling better soon.
    -- Zana
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!