Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter - or not?

Winter - or not?

Is anyone else not having a real winter? We have had barely any snow since that storm back in October, and it has not even been that cold! It was in the forties again today, so well above freezing! I think our friends in Europe got our portion of winter. And it has had tragic consequences, as dolphins are stranding in large numbers on Cape Cod. Normally, the waters would be frozen near shore, and they would not be able to swim so far in as to get in trouble.

I feel like someone move me a few states South, and didn't ask permission, except I think folks in Maryland have had more snow this winter than we have in Boston!
    I've Been Frosted

It was so nice here in Pennsylvania in January that I almost forgot it was winter. I have to say I have no complaints. Last Saturday we had a couple inches of snow Saturday into Sunday which melted. Today we started out with freezing rain and then had some snow which amounted to less than a inch. I am still waiting for the "big" one. However, I will not be sad if we do not get one.

I drive an all-wheel drive Subaru Forester but I don't have it because I like to drive in snow. I usually find a reason not to travel when it snows.

I live in central NC and we have not had "real winter" either. Last year we had four small snows (alot for us) but this year I havent even seen a snowflake. For the most part the temps have been above normal. IF it's going to snow, I wish it would go ahead and do it because soon I will be ready for spring.

Speaking of spring, about three to four weeks ago during 60 to 70 temps (too warm), "my" bluebirds were flying around and inspecting two bluebird houses. I think they were thinking about spring also. This week the temps are 45 to 55 in daytime but I just noticed that it's to be 60 tomorrow and then down some.

My daffs are already blooming as is my Sweet Breath of Spring bush.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Nope - no real winter here in Delaware either. We had a couple of very small snows of 2" or less, but even that was gone in a couple of days. We had a couple of cold snaps, but they didn't last long either.
    However, President's Day is coming up on Monday, 2/20, and in 2003 we had a 2 day blizzard here that buried us that President's Day weekend. Now I'm hearing on t.v. of a possible Nor'easter over the weekend. Hmmm - I'm hoping it's not a repeat performance of 2003. We shall see...........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

No it's not like winter at all. We want some SNOW. hannah wants to build a snowman with mickey ears but instead all we are getting is rain. I don't want RAIN. I don't like rain lol it just makes everything muddy and nasty and no one wants to go out and play in cold rain. LAME

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

We have prob 30-40cm of snow on the ground now, but it's hard as a rock and you can walk on the top of it. It's around -4 C. Monday I think it was -30C with the windchill. Usually we get enough snow for a small part of winter where there is so much snow the dogs can step right over the top of our 4+ft fence Thankfully we don't have that much...yet. D: Happy to share winter with anyone who will take it.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

After all that snow we had LAST winter, I am simply enjoying this one. Plus it is lots easier to walk the dogs! LOL

I do wonder WHY it is like this, very rare. My daffodils poked through in late Dec and now they are 4 inches, the buds will be developing next! Also my hyacinths and tulips have broken through AND the hollyhock is up with 4 leaves!

No real winter here in northeast Ohio. Had a few snow days about three times. We may regret these warm temps when summer does get here. I'm thinking BUGS!!! My pups and I love the snow, really miss it.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Mostly not. We've had a couple of serious snows but overall it has been pretty mild. Tough on allergies because of not a lot of good hard frosts.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Mostly not. We've had a couple of serious snows but overall it has been pretty mild. Tough on allergies because of not a lot of good hard frosts.
    Tough on allergies for us, too. We've had some frightfully cold days but mostly it's been the same old variance of temperatures for this area. Some cool days and some colder days.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

NOPE, and I LOVE IT!!! Getting up at 5 am sucks enough, but having to de-ice your windshield and windows sucks even more that early in the morning! SO hopefully it stays this way.

It comes and goes here. Sometimes it's down to like 20 or 30 something, with like no snow, mostly rain, which is annoying, and then it's back up to like 60 like it was today .
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Winter hasn't materialized around here yet but it's only half past February and I'm still hoping it will get here. I love winter and this year has been a huge disappointment...no 20 degree temps and barely a snowflake. THINK SNOW!!!!!!!!!!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

We've had plenty of winter here in Colorado!! Anyone who wants it can have it!

We actually had a cooler than average November and December with lots of snow. We had a nice January, then this month is so far one of the snowiest Februarys on record. And it's been hanging on to cold temperatures. Averages around this time of year are usually near 50 for a high, but it's been colder than that. I feel cheated since everyone else is getting such mild weather! Here in the Denver area we always get plenty of snow but usually our temps are much more mild. Cold makes me feel grumpy.

Some day I am going to move somewhere with absolutely no winter and I will not miss it.

This is like 2001, the winter that wasn't. My dahlias actually survived through that winter. We've had maybe a couple nights in the teens (F) but not close to 0, and only one measurable snowstorm (the day the asbestos guy was supposed to come, natch!)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb