Thread: Becoming a man

Becoming a man

Hi. I've been a lurker. Now I have a question. I have a scottie. A grreat dog really. He is about 18 months old. He's always been very balanced, and was socialized from about 3 months. (I got him at 11 weeks). He was fixed at four months. Within the last month he seems to be "becoming a man." What I mean is: at the dog park he has always been the happy go lucky guy who runs right in to the middle, senses his role and flips on his back. Lets everyone sniff and lick then jumps up and starts playing. Recently though, when he gets to the park the dogs run to him and surround him and eventually he growls and snaps and sends them away. This happens a few times then everything is fine and he plays (with his close friends, not the whole world like he used to). If young boy dogs come up and misbehave (in his eyes, by stealing his ball or jumping on him) he barks and snaps. (he's never actually bitten, or started a real fight). Here's my question. I've always had either female dogs, or larger boy dogs. I've never owned a small dog before. My understanding is that my boy has become a man, his scent has changed and he's sorta figuring out his place in the pack. Plus he is starting to tell pups when they are misbehaving. But, will this all mellow out? IE will he become comfortable with his place? With his buddies he's definitely low man. Or will he have these little bouts each time we go now. Also, what should my reaction be? Logic tells me yelling only makes it worse, but standing by doing nothing doesn't feel right either. The young boy dogs' parents seem to think mine is doing okay by putting theirs down, but it feels terrible to me. Again he's always been such a lover. One last thing, he's still a total lover at home and with all humans. My sister's scottie is a crotchedy fellow, I'm hoping to keep mine social.
    Thanks. Sorry this was so long for a first post!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Welcome, welcome to Pet Talk! I am sure Carrie, our "resident" dog behaviorist/special friend, will have more pertinent info than I will. As long as no one is getting hurt, this all may shortly sort itself out, once everyone is clear on the new "order of the pack."

What's your pup's name? I jave one old, old picture that I found not too long ago, and shouted - "Hey, Lorna Doone!" She was my great-grandmother's Scottie, and beloved of my (Great) Aunt Bertha, so I heard many stories of her when I was growing up. Is yours a lapdog? The picture I have is Lorna Doone in Great-Grandmother's lap, and they both look pretty happy!
    I've Been Frosted

Awwwww, Karen, thank you. That is really sweet!

babolaypo65 - you are an instant hit with me! For some reason, I have no idea what, the word "lurk" is one of my favourite words of all time! (Am I being weird again or do others have favourite words? Lurking, lurked...just lovely to say!! Not enough people use it so thank you!)

You seem to have a pretty good handle on what is going on with your Scottie. The danger is that it can become a habit if it works often enough for him and you may end up with a bit of a bullly. Even although he is small the breed has such a big heart and such a huge personality that power can become a drug for them and they end up thinking they are Dane sized!

I would suggest you get prepared at home. Get him into a game - fetch with a tennis ball or rope is ideal. Start winding him up before you get to the park so that he is focused on the game before he meets the other dogs. As you reach the park hide the play item in a pocket or behind your back. Produce it again as soon as a dog you are not sure how he will react to approaches. Training a signal for the game is really useful too - so every time you play the game you blow a whistle for instance - so you have an instant attention grabber.
    Only try this if you are confident that it will not end up with him fighting the others off his toy.
    If that is going to be a problem, and even if it's not, then try to arrange with the other people that visit the park to meet before letting the dogs off the lead. All the people get to say hello to each others dogs and the dogs get the message that the alpha of each pack sees it as safe and acceptable to be with each other.
    If you could get a few to try some training together as well that would be great - fun for you too!

Lurk IS a good word. It just *feels* good in the mouth. I don't know why either. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. And thanks for validating my pseudo-analysis of Owen's behaviours. I just hope it evens out. He was such a great sport at the park, until just recently. Glad it's probably hormones. While I can't think of anything that might have happened, I was a teensy bit worried something might have happened, at the park, or elsewhere when I wasn't looking. But, as I said, my rational side figured it was growing pains. Now the focus goes to getting him to a more comfortable place (more comfortable for me maybe!).
    Thanks again. and in case anyone is interested here's his web page:
    http://homepage.mac.com/barbette99/PhotoAlbum.html

and carrie: you sure described the scottie countenance well! thanks again
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

At the risk of offending Owen's manly dignity, I've got to say, "Ooooooh, what a cutie! Sweet boy!!!"

Um, if I quickly add something about his being a short, dark, and handsome stud muffin, will I get myself out of the doghouse with him???
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/