Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIV + on death row in RI

FIV + on death row in RI

Beautiful tiger cat - WILL DIE IF HOME NOT FOUND TODAY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: [email protected]
    Date: 2007-03-29, 1:17PM EDT

My name is Talbert and I am a very handsome, loving and sweet-natured kitty! I have gorgeous tiger markings and distinctive eyes.

HERE IS MY PICTURE:

I am in the city animal shelter in Warwick, RI. I was turned in by my owners and I don't understand why. It's so lonely and confusing here.

I have just been diagnosed with FIV. I look and act like any other cat and im in very good shape overall. I can still live many, many more years with a good diet and a good life as an indoor cat. The shelter is not equipped to take on cats with medical issues so I WILL BE PUT TO SLEEP IF I DO NOT FIND A HOME BY DAY'S END ON THURSDAY, MARCH 29.

I would be just fine either as the only cat in the home, or with other gentle cats - even if they're FIV negative! Just like with people who have HIV, cats with FIV CANNOT pass on the virus through any kind of casual contact with other kitties - not through playing, sleeping together, sharing food and water bowls or the litterbox - not even through normal roughhousing. The ONLY way I could pass on the virus would be through a deep, serious bite wound...and since I am neutered and easygoing, as long as I go to a home with non-aggressive cats, I would make a fine playmate for FIV-negative friends.

FIV cannot be passed on to humans, dogs, or any other species. To learn more about this condition you can read the article here:

http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimal...e/cats_fiv.cfm

I desperately need to find a safe spot before Friday, March 30. If you can help me, PLEASE call the shelter right away at 401-468-4377 and ask for Anne, or call Debbie, the adoption coordinator, at 401-944-6178. Bless you for caring.

-Talbert

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

This is awful. Any luck?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Not that I am aware of. Poor little boy Talbert!

I just emailed the address for an update - was wondering if Jenn had seen this yet! I pm'd Lizzie, who is the other side of the country...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It's 7pm MT - I got an email from the person who posted about Talbert on Craigslist, and got the phone # of Debbie, the shelter coordinator.

She'll likely be surprised to get a call from Canada!

Anyway, I left her my phone # and email addy, and am hoping for the best!

I saw this, and my heart broke for him. He looks like such a good boy. I'm just going to be at my limit with kitties this weekend, plus waiting to see if Ally will be here or what will be going on with her. I have two coming in tomorrow, plus another one who may be a possible FIV kitty that is a littermate of Frankie (the woman who found him has been feeding this one and trying to trap him/her.). I can only take in so many with limited funding (I live on my own, pay the mortgage and all the rest on just my paycheck, and I'm a public school teacher, so I'm not rich, lol). Wish I could take them all, but until I have a mansion and am independently wealthy, I have to have limits.

Given until 4/3/07 per website...

I checked with the website and he has until April 3rd, which isn't too far away. ugh.

They also said they need help for a cat with hyperthyroidism. I wonder if I could bargain with them and give them medication that is left over from another kitty who passed and has almost all of his prescription, plus refills, left?! "I give you meds, you give him more time... or a foster home"

Like Jenn, I dream of the day when I have a huge mansion with funds to match, but I'm at my limit also both financially and physically. He looks like the kind of cat that just likes to lean into you and get hugs. I don't understand the shelter saying that he's perfectly healthy and FIV is no big deal, not contagious, etc. and also saying they don't have room for cats with health issues. Poor sweetheart. It's his previous guardians who should be getting the needle next week, not him.

I did tell Debbie to get hold of me, as I wanted to talk to someone about Talbert.

That was YOU, Jenn, but if it buys him some more time, all the better!

PT Prayers, everybody!

Prayers that Talbert finds a safe place to be.. a good foster home or even better a furrever home. He sounds like a wonderful cat.

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

No wonder it took me ages to find the site. It's TalVert, not a "B".

Poor baby is still there....

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7803174

I sent a msg to the email there, and am hoping for the best.

Here is an offer.

I've decided to take Thumper and Pete back to the no-kill shelter (that has a big FIV+ area) from where I adopted them nearly a year ago. Thumper sprays constantly and has created a space which is uncomfortable for everyone. He's also had allergies since he got here that he showed no signs of at the shelter. He was actually happy at the shelter, not at all depressed, I remember seeing him zoom around the room. And he's a real favorite there who loves attention from anyone, and any cat. As you can imagine, my decision is a very hard one and has taken months of hard thinking. My heart feels heavy in my chest just thinking about it because it's highly unlikely that Thumper will ever be adopted again. Pete is downstairs with Thumper because he chases Raven mercilessly if he's upstairs. I need to be able to let the cats go up and down at will so they all get equal attention and I can't do that with Pete in the house. I feel sure that Pete will be adopted since this shelter has a very high FIV+ adoption rate, and he's a sweet lug of a cat.

I cannot afford to have Talvert shipped out to me, I am tapped out from caring for Dude - whose stomatitis came raging back, and I am in dire need of some expensive dental work which I've put off for years as vet bill followed vet bill. If some organization or people can put together the funds to ship him out to me, and he will need both a rabies shot with certificate (WA state regulation) and a certificate of health, then I will take him. I have a feeling that he will fit right in with my crew.

What if we can organize a transport? I'd drive him part of the way for you. I LOVE road trips, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    What if we can organize a transport? I'd drive him part of the way for you. I LOVE road trips, LOL.
    I live in Washington state, the other side of the country. Even though the weather is getting more pleasant, making a long drive more enjoyable, I think a cargo ticket will work better. Thanks for the offer, though.

Is there an FIV rescue anywhere????