Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat and Dog toys made in China

Cat and Dog toys made in China

I was just looking at a catalog online that had dog and cat toys. I would imagine they are made in China.

That made me stop and think about what they are made of - how safe would they be - what ingredients - chemicals - dyes etc. would they use?

Are pet toys tested? I bet not.

I know exactly how you feel. I bought Hannah a new dog bed (on sale) from the Drs. Foster and Smith website. It arrived today and said *made in China*. Now I wonder what they could have put in the filling. I'm probably going to send it back because I'm not too happy with the color anyway.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

How many things no-a-days can you buy that are NOT made in China? Heck if you want American made products you'd have to go to another country to buy them anymore.

And what do we get with all this "global" trade? Massive recalls of products, counterfeit products, unsafe products, damaging insects that are eat up our native flowers/trees, and losing jobs to foreign competition at an alarming rate.

Why can't we go back to a more simple time when "importing" meant shipped in from the next county over?

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I think the China lesson has been learned and we will be seeing fewer and fewer imports from them. We should not be importing any more than we have inspectors to inspect what is imported and we do not have enough inspectors! Just seeing this thread being posted proves that we are waking up and realizing just how stupid it is to import our good off to some other country and have to import what we use from another... I work on a boat and I know the mega dollars they pay to push the cargo so I just do not see HOW we can get it cheaper, having it imported across a ocean when you think of the cost to just run that ship, much less paying the people to run that ship (also keep in mind what it cost to buy a ocean going vessel!)!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    I just do not see HOW we can get it cheaper, having it imported across a ocean when you think of the cost to just run that ship, much less paying the people to run that ship (also keep in mind what it cost to buy a ocean going vessel!)!

They get it cheaper because our government imposes taxes and fees on home produced stuff so they get a cut of the profits. Foreign imports are given a break because we are in a 'trade deficit' to other countries (google it) and now they have the upper hand.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I know... it is so sad!

I went to the pet store looking for a very specific type of toy for Koli before she goes to her new home.

I looked and looked and looked. I even bended what style to get her and ALL of them even close to what i was looking for were made in china! ARRRRG!

I found this really disturbing and questioned giving it to her
    ...This product may stain. Use in a stain resistant area. Wash hands with soap and warm water after handling.
    Yikes!!! It's not a food item and it's supposed to be going in a dog's mouth?!?

I really wish i knew of a better alternative!!!

I eventually gave in and let her have it... and she played with it for 15 minutes... she hasn't played that long with something since the raw meaty bone!

Quote Originally Posted by gini
    I was just looking at a catalog online that had dog and cat toys. I would imagine they are made in China.

That made me stop and think about what they are made of - how safe would they be - what ingredients - chemicals - dyes etc. would they use?

Are pet toys tested? I bet not.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Hey....wait a minute here folks !!!!!
    Ask yourselves the simple question why everything in the shops comes from China ?????
    And why don't they manufacture these goods in the USA any more ???
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004
    Hey....wait a minute here folks !!!!!
    Ask yourselves the simple question why everything in the shops comes from China ?????
    And why don't they manufacture these goods in the USA any more ???
    Wom
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Well....sounds to me like there could actually be a market for Chinese goods !!!!
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

Oh, you've got that right! Tons of things to buy - all dirt cheap!

Seafood that is tainted
    Pet food that is killing our pets
    Toothpaste filled with chemicals

America isn't perfect - we have our problems too - but when it harms the public we do seem to be able to jump on it - find the cause and stop it.

I for one, can keep my money in my pocket and do without most of this stuff.
    And now, I am far more aware and read labels on food products and any other products to see where they are made.

I have noticed recently that if the product isn't from China, distributors
    and manufacturers are putting in BOLD type the source country.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies

I think the China lesson has been learned and
    we will be seeing fewer and fewer imports from them.
    Wishful thinking!

We HAVE to import all that "stuff" - we stopped Manufacturing most of it here in the
    good ole USA and shipped the machines to make the "stuff" over to China!

"Made in the USA" now means some of the final assembly was done here -
    using Parts and Sub-assemblies manufactured in China or Japan.

Sad, sad, situation!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I take it that the Kitemark does not cover pet products? I'm certainly not aware that it does. Perhaps we should lobby them.

We did not have the problem of the contaminated food here, but I will remember that old saying " every time you buy, you cast a vote in the marketplace".

Do not buy what you do not trust. Words written about companies are irrelevant. Only their turnover matters.

Oh, you've got that right! Tons of things to buy - all dirt cheap!

Seafood that is tainted
    Pet food that is killing our pets
    Toothpaste filled with chemicals

America isn't perfect - we have our problems too - but when it harms the public we do seem to be able to jump on it - find the cause and stop it.

I for one, can keep my money in my pocket and do without most of this stuff.
    And now, I am far more aware and read labels on food products and any other products to see where they are made.

I have noticed recently that if the product isn't from China, distributors
    and manufacturers are putting in BOLD type the source country.
    Same here. I also try not to buy anything from these sources. Seems the problem is worldwide tho, not just contained to the USA.
    I constantly see these cheap $2 shops getting so much business, and wonder if the people who frequent them know exactly why they are forced to buy cheaper goods. Seems almost as if they are on a bandwagon, where ther more they give their business to these cheap importers, the worse off their lives become.
    Not real sure what the solution is.
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties
    Do not buy what you do not trust. Words written about companies are irrelevant. Only their turnover matters.
    You got that bang on !!!!
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

We don't have to buy the junk from China. There are other ways to shop.
    Online shopping from animal rescue groups help needy cats & dogs and also
    provide good ,safe products. http://www.ihelppets.com/ is only one of the
    options we have. I really don't care that the imported stuff is dirt cheap.
    We get what we pay for.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt