Thread: Human Name Associations

Human Name Associations

Just a funny question for you ... when you hear someone introduced by a name, do certain associations pop into your head/ Today at lunch, our waiter introduced himself as Fernando, and I automatically started a) thinking of the Seventies song by that name, and b) thought of the children's book character Ferdinand the Bull. I know, it's a different name, but that's what sprung to mind!

Do any names do that for you? Make you think of an animal or character, instead of the person in front of you?
    I've Been Frosted

Well...there are names that cause songs to pop in my head. Does that count? For example...any time I hear the name Mary Lou, I hear "Well hello Mary Lou, good bye heart!

I once had a boss named Mary Lou....

I am awful - truly awful - at remembering a person's name. I try to put mental images like people I know to go with the customer's name... and fail miserably.

I always say, "My uncle's name is John, so I won't forget your name!" and I end up forgetting because I have several uncles.

Definitely! Names bring songs to my head, and sometimes songs bring movies to my head if they were songs in a particular movie and then I rack my brain until I can remember what movie it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Well...there are names that cause songs to pop in my head. Does that count? For example...any time I hear the name Mary Lou, I hear "Well hello Mary Lou, good bye heart!

I once had a boss named Mary Lou....
    I once had a cat named Mary Lou. That song came to mind all the time with her!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I always associate the name 'Angelica' with the Rugrats character of that name, even though I never cared for the show much as a kid!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Having worked in day care for 12 years it was important for me to be able to remember names quickly. It would freak the kids out that I knew their name and it was my first day with them.
    But now when I meet people I associate their name with someone else I know (usually a kid from day care) or an animal I know. And I am always pulling out songs from names or anything people say.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I've found that I'm very judgmental about names. When I am introduced to a Bambi or Ginger, etc. I think of strippers. I just think people should have a more traditional first name. A "cutsy" middle name is fine. At least give the kid a chance to go by one name or the other.

I know a lady named Candy Apple. She hates her name and goes by C.A. They gave her the perfect stripper name. Hard to be taken seriously if you're a doctor. Would you go a doctor named Candy Apple T? Would you vote for a woman president by the name of Candy Apple T.?

Seriously, think before you name a child. Give them some options for their future career.

I work with a lady named Barbara. In my head I always say Ba-Ba-Ba Ba-Ba-bara Ann. She's informed me numerous times that her middle name isn't Ann. But, I can't get it out of my head.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I associate Angelica with Rugrats like Zara .

And others. People always associate my name with Barbie (because my first name is Barbara), and it's super annoying. I'm just glad I go by my middle name
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I have to agree with Kuhio ~~~ think before you name your kids. After all - they have to carry it around for a lifetime - not you!

When I was still working, I had a client by the name of Bingh Bongh! Seriously - pronounced bing-bong. What were his parents thinking??? He was a very good sport about it tho, and right from the beginning he told me that it was okay if I wanted to laugh about it. I never did when I was on the phone with him, but I always had a good giggle after the conversation was over and I had hung up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I should have pointed out that the reason I found Dr. Candy Apple T was that she was listed as Dr. C.A. T ..... Well, I couldn't help being interested in a vet whose initials spelled CAT.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.