Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feel like im fighting a downhill battle *Update 2-19\num 2*

Feel like im fighting a downhill battle *Update 2-19\num 2*

I have never seen such a disasterous litter of kittens. Im sure sme of you have, but this is nothing I have been through before. I seen a lot happen when I worked at a dog "kennel" (border puppy mill) I did all I could there, I was not there 24hrs a day and often just found puppies that faded away, instead of witnessing it.

So mom came down with a URI I posted about. She got over it rather quickly and only has a few sneezies rarey. Not so for the little ones. At first sign of anything I immidiately to them to the vet. Only one was sick at that time. That one got an antibiotic shot, and I was given drops for it, and the other if they came down with it. All seemed OK. The other two so far only have one goopy eye each, and a occasional sneeze. The original sick one was doing rather well, sneezing, but ok. Today that changed. It has too much congestion in its nose. Its been crying off and on all day, mom is going crazy trying to comfort it, as am I. I know its hungry, and so far force feeding has not gone so well.

So this poor baby, who is quite strong actually and has a very loud voice is quite lost. Literally. Since its nose is so bad it cant seem to settle down and it wont and probably cant nurse. With no scent it dont know where or what is going on. Its mildy dehydrated. Im doing my best. I cant afford another trip to the vet and it kills me. I would hate to see this baby fade away over a snotty nose. Its secretions are still clear, just plentiful. Its fights like I didnt know a 2 week old could when i try to get fluids in it. Thats all it needs. Fluids and it would be ok (maybe, nothing certain of course) I honestly cant afford that. Between the c-section and the med I already got for them. I hope its a fighter like I believe it is.

Here are pics from tuesday, the day I took them in. Nursing so happily. The middle one is the sick one.

Yes kitty decided for 2 days to put the babies on the couch....

Last edited by emilysgk; 02-19-2007 at 09:12 PM.
    Emily with Snow, Cowgirl, and Chunky

Poor little things. Did you try putting them in a steamy bathroom for about 10 minutes, to get some of the goo out? Take a baby snot sucker and gently use it on their noses.
    As for needing fluids, maybe call some no kill shelters and see if they will either donate to you a bag of fluids, or do them for you daily. That might work... If they go a day or two dehydrated, they probably wont make it. Cats bodies start to shut down VERY fast without fluids. I hope you can find something out soon
    I will pray for you and the babies.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

If the baby makes the night I will see if I can figure something out tomorrow. Not sure about that being Saturday. It a battle that cant be won like this and I know that. Anything by mouth is really dangerous. Since she is breathing by mouth because of nose and fighting it.... It spell aspiration being bound to happen. I just hope no one else gets sick like her. So far none have symptomslike this one did.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I sure hope that she'll be strong enough to make it through this. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. I also hope that the other kittens will also continue to thrive.

When my RB Pepper had a very bad URI I used little noses pediatric nose drops. It was hard to get him to stay still but it seemed to help a little bit. I think I used one drop per nostril but I forget how often. Good luck.

Were those drops medicated? She just has so much. A lot of it is coming out (so its runny not congested) I think that makes it harder since you know its probably draining down her throat also.

She is hanging on, deffinately a fighter. I read on a website somewhre to take nasal spray and dilute it by half with saline. Im afraid to try it, and yet I almost feel there is nohing to lose either. Just awhile ago Snow brought me the baby I think she is tired too, and knows she cant help it. She has been trying to comfort her all day.

Awww! The Mama knows that her baby needs help so she brought it to you.. This is so heart wrenching! Call the vet and tell him you are broke but the baby is going to die soon if something don't change. Maybe he can tell you what to do over the phone and give you some meds for the baby..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I knew someone else with this problem. She put the momma and kittens in the bathroom with a vaporizer and a heater. It was like a sauna in there.

They lived!

Prayers on the way for your kittens.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

You can buy the Little Noses baby nose drops ... just one teeny drop will take care of both sides. At this point though, there isn't alot that you can do. I wish I had a miracle cure to tell you, but I just don't. It's terrible when they get this sick so young. You're doing everything you can ... just try the steamed bathroom too and even a teeny weeny dab of Vick's Vaporub on their noses. Heck, you might even try a teeny bit of Nutrical to get their appetites jump started again and keep them from getting too weak. Try to syringe feed a tiny bit of KMR at a time too .... but be careful not to choke them ... I know, easier said than done.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Yes, yes, yes! Get those babies into a steamy bathroom! It should definitely help! If you can use a syringe to extract a little of the mucous from their noses, it'll help but if you can't, keep them in that steamy bathroom. They look like little calicos and I adore calicos. This is heartbreaking. Please call your vet and tell him you're broke. He's bound to take payments when you tell him your plight. Most vets will cooperate if you tell them ahead of time of your financial situation and don't wait until after you receive the health care.

Blessings,
    Mary

Update

I tried the bathroom and the baby did bring up some more snot. My husband is gone (to work) I dont have a car, the vet closed at 1 today. The baby is still hanging on pretty well, im not sure how. I keep pushing fluids and I hope it hasnt apirated at any point. It dont seem it has, but its very dangerous in this condition and could do so unknowingly. I would say for every tiny drop on the tongue more than half comes back out. It takes about an hour and a lot of patience to get one small syinge finished. I wait about an hour to let it rest and start all over again. It must be working since its stilll alive, its still mildy dehydrated, but not severe. Time will tell. This baby is sure a very strong figter. Reminds me a little of Medusa's Puddy. Against all odds...

The other two are still doing well. Only ocassional sneezies, otherwise just one goopy eye each. I got a vaporizer and I put it next to the babes, I have run it in the past and it will turn my small house into a sauna soon enough.

Some Of The Momma Cat Angels Have Joined The Fight To Keep That Little One Alive.
    We Are Praying For Her To Get Through The First Crucial Weeks Of Her Life.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

A downhill battle

Thank you so much for giving so much effort to help these sweet little babies! All I can offer is prayers for the baby's recovery and those prayers are being prayed.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Well ealier there was a time she seemed to have given up, but then she decided that she wanted to keep going. Honestly im in amazement. I know her chance is next to none, but I guess its up to her since she wont give up just yet.

HUGS!

Have you used some Vicks too with the steam? Even a wee wee dab on her nose - maybe diluted with Vaseline as it can burn tender skin -

Keep the steam going...you said the other two are doing ok...I hope you can get some food into her. If you and she can hang on another day, I think you will be over the hurdle!

prayers coming to you and that feisty baby!

Those kittens are ALL so beautiful!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Yep, calicos are fighters alright, feisty as hell and they don't give up. My Fur Posse and I are pulling for this little one. You're doing a good job and keep reminding yourself of that when it feels like you're losing ground. When you said Mama brought her to you, it was so heartwarming. She knew she needed help. Bless you so much for giving them a chance.

Blessings,
    Mary