Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I over reacting?

Am I over reacting?

What would you all think in this situation? I know I'm probably over thinking this and it shouldn't bother me, but it does.

My boyfriends friend HATES cats. That's fine. I had 2, only one now. I love my cat, and all cats. I don't expect everyone to. My problem is that he actually says "ew!" when the cat walks past him. Tonight the cat walks past his computer and he's like, urg, great the cat touched my computer now I need a new one.

Maybe it's just that I don't like the guy, but I'm SO sick of hearing about it. I would never tell someone else if I didn't like their pet for whatever reason. I know they love the animal. For example, I'm terrified of spiders. I'm not going to be like ew! spiders! why do you have a spider?

He's not even afraid of cats, he just doesn't like them. He makes this very clear everytime one just enters the room.

When I still had Kiba I used to have to keep them locked out of the room when he was over. And Kiba always wanted to be with me, she was my baby. She'd cry outside the room all night. So I basically said he'd need to suck it up or not come over...I know that's mean. It's my place, shouldn't my animals be free to go where they like? He is over a lot. It was probably worse with Kiba. As in, it upset me more. After my dog passed away I really went to Kiba a lot for comfort. She was the reason I could get over Josie. And he's sit there and talk about how gross she was? It made me sick. I don't see how that precious kitten could in anyway, be gross.

In fact, my boyfriend hated cats too when we first met. But Kiba grew on him a lot, and now he likes cats. Kiba was just that kind of cat.

Anyway. I needed to vent. Sorry for over reacting, and talking so much about pointless stuff. I know it's his right to think whatever he wants. I just wish he'd keep it to himself.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Maybe you should write him a little note, and say "I know you don't like cats, YOU know that I know that, so stop complaining when my cat is anywhere in sight. It's her home, not yours, and I wouldn't complain incessantly about something if was visiting your house!"

If he's just doing it to get a reaction out of you, that's pretty immature of him (I'm assuming he's over the age of 12), and you should just ignore it so he'll stop saying it. Or every time he says it, say, "and the sky is blue, anything else obvious you need to point out?"
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Maybe you should write him a little note, and say "I know you don't like cats, YOU know that I know that, so stop complaining when my cat is anywhere in sight. It's her home, not yours, and I wouldn't complain incessantly about something if was visiting your house!"

If he's just doing it to get a reaction out of you, that's pretty immature of him (I'm assuming he's over the age of 12), and you should just ignore it so he'll stop saying it. Or every time he says it, say, "and the sky is blue, anything else obvious you need to point out?"
    He;s in his 20's, and I never say anything about it. I just pretend to not hear it. But it's been happening so often that it's getting tiring.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

I don't think you're over-reacting at all and please don't think this is pointless. If this concerns you, and it obviously does, it needs to be addressed. You did the right thing bringing this to your PT friends.

Have you tried talking to him about his attitude towards cats and why he's so negative about them? Your sweetheart is a member of your family and he needs to understand her place not only in your home but also in your life.

I wish I had the definitive answer for you. The conversation is started and, knowing the PT folks, a workable solution will be found.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

This guy sounds very immature. My opinion is that anyone visiting my home should respect my pets or not visit.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    This guy sounds very immature. My opinion is that anyone visiting my home should respect my pets or not visit.
    I totally agree. I would never be able to just sit back and say nothing. I would've told him to leave and not come back a long time ago.

I would definitely say something. I'd probably say...I understand you don't like cats, but can you stop making comments all the time? Or I'd say....well, the cat lives here so if you don't like it then don't come over. Who knows, I'd probably not be very nice about it after putting up with it so often.

He is definitely very immature and needs to grow up. Will your boyfriend talk to him about it, if you don't feel comfortable doing it? I can understand you not wanting to cause problems. In fact, I probably wouldn't have said anything when I was younger either. I've become a bit "hard" in my old age.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I would just tell him, "Tough! She lives here and you don't! She can go where she wants, IT'S HER HOME."
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Your cat was there before he was. "Love Me, Love My Cat" I would never even consider dating anyone who didn't have a respect for animals. It's obvious he doesn't.

I'd seriously consider losing the boyfriend before something else happens. Sorry, JMO.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I'd seriously consider losing the boyfriend before something else happens. Sorry, JMO.
    it's not her boyfriend, it's his friend

What the hell kind of friend is that??? I'd let the friend know that if he can't respect the kitty, to stay home!!

I have a friend who is not a "cat" person. But, she respects me and my cats and even had me over with my two naked babies one night during the power outtage.

That "friend" needs to grow up.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

The cat is a member of my family; you are not. Don't let the screen door hit you on your way out.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

That guy wouldn't last five minutes in my house! Has he no respect??? Sowa, you need a sign on your door...

This house is maintained for the comfort and security of my dogs and cats.
    If you cannot accept that, then you cannot accept me.
    *so go away*
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Sheesh! What a weird person....I hate spiders too, but, if I met a spider owner and saw his/her spider, I'd keep my comments to myself! You're totally NOT overreacting! If anything like this (God forbid) ever happened to me, I hope I can stop my self from hurting that person! Hope that guy stops saying all the junk he says. This is extremely rude!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    That guy wouldn't last five minutes in my house! Has he no respect??? Sowa, you need a sign on your door...

This house is maintained for the comfort and security of my dogs and cats.
    If you cannot accept that, then you cannot accept me.
    *so go away*
    Hahaha! That is a very nice idea