Thread: Safe bones

Safe bones

[/COLOR][/FONT][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkGreen]
    Does anyone know if the thigh bone found in a turkey drumstick is safe for dogs? I simmer two big turkey thighs to get a natural broth to put on their Flint River kibbel. I then strip all of the meat off of the drumsticks and discard all fat and the little skinny bones. What is left is a clean bone but is it too brittle to be safe? I really enjoy making sure my dogs eat healthy and certainly don't want to do anything that will harm them.
    Please advise and thanks in advance.

I've been told that all poultry bones are too brittle to be safe for dogs to eat, but I've not had any personal experience with them, since I've always been too nervous to find out for myself.

I don't think cooked bones are good for them to eat because they can break and get stuck in the dog's throat and harm them. I know more people have experience in this but I learned this info from PT.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

I think all poultry bones have a tendency to break into sharp pieces that can be harmful. I wouldn't risk it. Some people give dogs soft-boiled bones that are squishy, but never hard ones.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

If they are raw they are okay, however Turkey bones are much harder than other poultry bones and can crack teeth if you're dog is not a careful eater (and most Labs aren't!). I feed raw but won't give them to my Labs because they scarf their food.

If they are cooked then don't feed them, or any other cooked bone for that matter, because they can splinter easily.

All poultry bones are lightweight and somewhat hollow, hence flight! Bigger mammal bones (beef, deer, elk, moose, the latter 3 only during season ) are great. Stay away from pork also.
    "All It Takes For The Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People TO DO NOTHING!"

Thanks to all

Turkey bones will definitely not be a part of my boys diet. Thanks to all for your replies and my suspicions were verified.

NO BONES ARE GOOD FOR A DOGS DIET! if yo uwant to give your dog a bone as a treat.. you can get a "marrow bone" which is edible and filled with meat.. and is strong like a bone, but desolves easy in the digestive system. they can be bought from pet stores.

I bought my puppy chicken backs and necks (only $2.50 for two meaty pieces) and he will get to eat them raw ONLY. I am also going to pick up some buffalo bones and such. Nothing keeps a dogs teeth healthier than a raw bone. Those bones you buy in the store, particularly the denta bones and bones similar to them, have so many calories and do more harm than good. You can feed the turkey neck raw, providing it is not discarded before you buy it (it usually is in my turkeys, but I guess it depends on the brand). Cooking bones can cause them to splinter and I would not recommend feeding ANY cooked bones.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Quote Originally Posted by steph
    NO BONES ARE GOOD FOR A DOGS DIET! if yo uwant to give your dog a bone as a treat.. you can get a "marrow bone" which is edible and filled with meat.. and is strong like a bone, but desolves easy in the digestive system. they can be bought from pet stores.
    My dogs were the healthiest I've ever seen them when they were getting bones daily. Their teeth were extremely white, stools were small and firm, energy levels were great and coats were nice and healthy. It's cooked bones that are a big no-no. Raw bones are great!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by binka_nugget
    My dogs were the healthiest I've ever seen them when they were getting bones daily. Their teeth were extremely white, stools were small and firm, energy levels were great and coats were nice and healthy. It's cooked bones that are a big no-no. Raw bones are great!
    as a verterinary nurse.. i have seen soooooo many cases where bones are lodged in the dogs throte, or where the bones has cut them internally.. the vet is forever stressing to the owners.. "no bones" cooked or raw, they CAN do damage if your dog is unlucky... i know i wouldnt chance it!!
    Their are more food products out there that can make your dogs coat glossy, teeth whiter, firm stools, high energy levels.. etc.. without the risk of them choking... believe me.. i've seen it... i've also seen a dog choke to death as a result of the owner feeding him bones as a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by steph
    as a verterinary nurse.. i have seen soooooo many cases where bones are lodged in the dogs throte, or where the bones has cut them internally.. the vet is forever stressing to the owners.. "no bones" cooked or raw, they CAN do damage if your dog is unlucky... i know i wouldnt chance it!!
    Their are more food products out there that can make your dogs coat glossy, teeth whiter, firm stools, high energy levels.. etc.. without the risk of them choking... believe me.. i've seen it... i've also seen a dog choke to death as a result of the owner feeding him bones as a treat.
    As a graduated Veterinary Assistant, I completely disagree with you. Raw bones are the best bones to feed. Dogs choke on bones because they are not supervised.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lover
    As a graduated Veterinary Assistant, I completely disagree with you. Raw bones are the best bones to feed. Dogs choke on bones because they are not supervised.
    I am a qualified vet nurse too, and I do not feed my dogs bones, they are happy healthy and strong, I agree with you that the owner is at fault for not supervising the dogs while chewing bones.. although if the dog starts to heave and choke, the damage could already be done... and what can the owner do at the time before taking them to the vets? pull it out from its throte and do more damage? i'd rather not risk that thanks, and when i see a dog in surgery as a result of the owner giving them bones makes my blood boil.
    - but each to their own i suppose, we all have our own views on this, from our own experiences.