Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving kitties

We moved our kitties around the world. First, we took on them on short trips to my dh's office when we trying to sell the house, then we took them on two- 9 hour road trips. We found that they didn't eat or drink on the way or pee or poop the entire time. The kitten screamed for more than 2 hours straight, but once we put her in the same carrier as the other cat everything was nice and quiet. Once they arrived, they acted at home in my dad's house.

Puppy pads didn't do much for us. I put one in the carrier so she'd want to sit in it, but she thought it was a litter box and peed on it.

Gizmo hated his carrier throughout and everytime we'd have to fight him to get in it, but he was a great traveller once inside.

For the big trip, we split it up, the first leg was a 2 hour drive to the airport followed by a 1 hour flight. They did great. We spent the weekend at my in laws. Cats were fine. For the big flight, (11 hours), we were already pros. We had to sit many rows apart from each other. When we about an hour from landing, my cat (the baby, Krembo) started getting very upset. I kept petting her in her carrier, but she had enough. The other cat(Gizmo) was ansy too and kept turning around inside the carrier. Against airplane regulation, we put them into one carrier and again both were happier. The hour-long drive from the airport went smoothly too.

If you do fly, you should know that you have to take the cat out of carrier and carry him/her through the metal detector. That was the scariest part because I knew if we lost hold of a cat at that point, we might never see him/her again. The cats were so scared though that it was no problem whatsoever to get them back into the carriers, getting them out was actually trickier.

Been bringing in boxes and both furkids are all over them. They are climbing in, on, up, through . . . They still don't know what's in store, but at least they will not be as afraid (I hope) as they would be with just one week to adjust!

I had the unfortunate luck of being at "Ground Zero" when hurricane Charley hit Florida Aug.13 2004. over the next 8 weeks or so we had to move 5 times with all 8 of our kitties. I never had to sedate anyone. I put them in their carriers, with thick plush towels for comfort and to soak up any accidents. Straped the carriers into the seatbelts in the back seat and made sure they had plenty of fresh air and their share of the air conditioner. I had a few meows at first, but after 10-15 minutes of telling them it was "Ok" they all settled down enough to start rotating them out for a look around. A small litter box on the floor in back of the passenger seat came in handy, and I stopped every hour or so just to offer them a sip of water and a treat. We ended up driving straight through to the St. Louis area without mishap. just make sure that everyone is inside the carriers when you open your window or door. At one point during the trip we had 5 out of carriers, three laying in the back window totally enjoying the sights, one standing on daddies lap watching the cars pass us, and one on the passenger side doing the same. Several times during the trip other drivers would pass by, while holding up thier little fur-balls too, waving paws at us.. 1200 miles and no problems with anyone. I'll never get stressed out about traveling with cats, I think its easier than traveling with a dog. The only thing I suggest is withholding food for about 12 hours before you leave and make sure everyone has gone potty before you leave. Once they figure out its not a trip to the vet, they'll settle in and enjoy the ride... Just think of them as a 4 or 5 year old child and you and the kitties will be fine ... Have a safe trip...
    Meeeooooowww.

Thanks all for advice and encouragement.

I did decide to move to a closer town, but it's still about 8-9 hours drive. Did a lot of heavy-duty "spring" (get my deposit back) cleaning over the week-end and the cats were so anxious and mystified.

Poor Wilbur (my younger furkid). A buddy brought his humongous white boxer over yesterday. Not in the house, just backyard. Kitties were looking out the window to the backyard. I threw this big stick for puppy, which he happily chased and brought back to me - about 15 times.
    Well, when friend and puppy left, I went inside to tell Wilbur coast was clear and he could finally go outside. His tail was fluffed as big as his body! And it stayed that way for probably an hour! He wouldn't even go outside, which he's always whining to do.
    It was rather comical, cause he never was in any danger.

I forgot to say one other thing. I moved from Cincinnati to Philadelphia once, with a cat and a dog (who were friends) in the same vehicle. I was not educated enough in those days to know I should have had the cat in a carrier (the dog, too, for that matter, or at least in a seatbelt thing) - so she was roaming loose. She was used to car rides and didn't mind them, but she got fed up with the length of this one. I discovered that if I sang to her, she would stop meowing. If I stopped singing, though, she would start meowing again. So - some of you might try singing to your cats if you have to take them on car rides. Some cats might like singing. Some might not. My cat Indigo hates it if I sing - but that is usually because she is sitting on top of my chest, and my singing is coming straight at her ears and up through her chest and belly.

Beauty17- as I type this my Stinky Pete is on my lap, purring. I have music on - driving music. And talking to her as it plays. She needs adjusted to music cause for the last long while she's only heard TV.
    I'm telling her "We're moving." I can tell her home number three coming up and she's still okay. Cause she's still unaware
    The Wilbur though
    He's starting to pull apart the boxes in back room.
    Daggnabit, Punk-Butt - Quit It

Hope it all goes fine. I think they will be fine once they get there. Exploring their new home will be a great adventure - like a whole new big cat toy that's all theirs to get used to. Speaking of watching television, do your cats actually watch? My blackie, Beauty, loves television - she can't wait until my son and I are going to watch something in the back room together, and then she will usually join us, trotting back like a little pony. She lies along the back of the couch but doesn't doze - she gazes steadily at the screen, not as if she is hunting, but as if she is just watching the shapes and colors. Of course, I don't think she is actually following the story (heh) - she likes the commercials as much as she likes whatever we are watching. She is a special fan of Japanese anime. Maybe it's the colors.

The only show my cats like is Jeopardy, cause they know when it's over it's dinner-time. I rarely get to see Final Jeopardy cause Punk-Butt Wilbur stands in front of television screen and hollers "Close Enough - Feed Me Now! No I Can't Wait Another Five Minutes!"
    Sheesh

My father used to watch the evening news with his cat Zane Grey. When the news was over, and the theme music came on, he would turn the television off. At the exact moment he would turn the television off, Zane would get up and walk away. Maybe she knew that bedtime would soon follow, or maybe she had had her fill of television for the evening and was on to the next form of amusement.

I can so relate how pets own the home!

Moving kitties

Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy all the talks & pictures..
    Well I do think you have gotton lots of good advice && best of luck on your move & keep us posted..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Thanks lvpets!

Today was tough keeping kitties out of boxes. I'm trying to keep packed from empty - little fuzz-buckets keep knocking empties all over full. I'm trying to keep all boxes away from furniture that should be packed first.

Just got youngsters helping to load truck - don't yet know diddly-squat about weight distribution. - Especially as I'm towing a car and
    I'm Driving! Through two states.
    Last edited by Cat's Meowm; 04-20-2006 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Addition