Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harness or Collar for my Chihuahua?

Harness or Collar for my Chihuahua?

Can I get some opinions on this subject. I have both a collar and a harness for my little Tess (11 weeks). Needless to say she doesn't like either one, but she seems to tolerate the collar better. I need to have one or the other on her when I take her out for potty breaks, because she seems to like to take off. Sometimes she doesn't come when I call her and I end up chasing her all over the neighborhood. I'm concerned about pulling on her neck with the collar - but which one is really best for this little gal?

Purrley, I am no "little dog" expert, but I have always heard that a harness is better for them. Hope Ricky's mom will chime in and let you know.

How is Tess?? I read you had to chase her down with your jammies on!! Life with a puppy is surely different than our kitties, isn't it?

Have fun!!

Logan - she's just fine, but just full of it. Gotta watch her every minute or she gets into stuff. Yesterday I had company, Tess had already done her potty duty so I trusted her to run around a little unsupervised - big mistake - she got into the kittie litter - had to give her a bath and brush her teeth : Litter box puppy kisses are not very sweet( Can't entertain company and watch Tess too - Wow she's a handful!!!!!

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

I too am not a big expert on little dogs. But I have also heard that the harness is better for the dogs. Drake wears a harness when we go walking or running. His collar is on at all times.

With a leash, if a dog pulls while you are walking it, it hurts their throat. The harness doesn't do that.

I have recently bought a harness for our black lab, before this he would pull so hard that he would choke himself and get sick, with the harness he is much better behaved and he doesn't hurt himself. I think I'd go witht the harness for your puppy. Even if she doesn't like it at first she will get used to it with training.

If the dog is a puller, definately use the harness. I use a collar most of the time with Reece even though he's a small dog, but he doesn't pull a bit.

If its a big dog and a puller, you can still safely use a collar. But with the little dogs it can be damaging.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

With such a little dog at such a young age you need a harness, but more importantly, you need to train the dog to walk sensibly when on the lead.

I say definately a harness, we never take them out in a public place without a harness, actually they have their collar on with the harness and three tags. It sounds like overkill but it works. They only wear their collar at home but we add the harness when we go somewhere. One reason for that is each of our three Schnauzers backed right out of their collars and we were left holding the leash with an empty collar and chasing them down.LOL
    Jackie

Okay, finally something I know. Ricky has had a harness from day one. Lucy Tu has a pink one now. Luckily they adjust (the harness that is not necessary the pups). Ricky's first one still fits him. Anyway, Ricky's Vet told me from the very beginning to get a harness, never let him out without a leash and always be alert.
    The harness is so I can pull him up to me quickly in case a big dog is loose in the neighborhood and rushes up to him. Our daughter lost her chihuahua when a big dog took one large bite, broke most of the bones in his little body. HARNESS! I also keep Ricky on a short leash. I have had loose dogs come around a car all of a sudden and if I didn't have him close enough, I might not have had time to get him to me. Remember Chihuahuas don't know they are small and they don't back down. Ricky has even tried to start a fight with a Pit Bull.

I had a dog myself who used harness. I recommendo 100% collar. Why? because he will fear of the harness if you take him outside even for a walk and if you leave him with the harness on he will start chewing it and at last breaking it. Collars are much better because you can leave it on your dog at any time and if you want to give your dog a walk you can just pick a leash and adjust it to the collar. And the best thing is that collar come in a variety of textures and colors!!
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.

Purrley: My older dog, who now uses a harness. He used to have a color but hes got comething wrong with his trachea or something..so it makes him choke really easily, so the harness works awesome for that! A lot of ppl i see with smaller dogs seem to use harness's for them..
    You say you only had her a wk? it takes time for them to be used to the collor/harness..if she had the collar 1st then she'll probably be more used to it. But if you'd rather her have the harness then she'll most likly get used to it after some time. Most puppies don't like the collors and stuff at 1st, there not used to it i guess..I know josie would scratch and stuff for like ever when she 1st got hers on..lol

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I would definately use a harness!!! Collars can hurt a dogs neck, if they pull too hard. So, I would get one, for your Chihuahua.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

With a Chihuahua being so delicate I would just think that a harness would be the best way to go, at least when you are outside. These little guys and girls are so vulnerable, you really can't be too careful. Also because of that I think I would pick up a few breed specific books at the library to learn as much as you can about caring for your little one.

As MHMama says, you have to be specificaly alert around other dogs with a Chihuahua and even a bird of prey can swoop down and take off with these bitty ones.

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

Originally posted by purrley:
    <STRONG>Can I get some opinions on this subject. I have both a collar and a harness for my little Tess (11 weeks). Needless to say she doesn't like either one, but she seems to tolerate the collar better. I need to have one or the other on her when I take her out for potty breaks, because she seems to like to take off. Sometimes she doesn't come when I call her and I end up chasing her all over the neighborhood. I'm concerned about pulling on her neck with the collar - but which one is really best for this little gal?</STRONG>
    We too have a Chihuahua, and we got Roxie at 8 weeks old. We have found that the harness is the perfect solution. She was way too tiny, and I did not want the collar to choke her. Usually the smaller harnesses are click together so it is very easy to use. Good Luck!

Purrley, I would say to keep the collar on
    all the time for ID tags/Rabies tag, etc,
    and use the harness for outside walks.My
    daughter uses a harness on her 65lb dog b/c
    he does tend to pull on leash.They work
    great & as MHMamma says it give you more
    control & you can scoop them up easier if
    in danger. Harness would definately not
    work on my Buddy, just for the heck of it,
    I measured his chest/rib area the other day
    and he's 38inches around.Don't think they
    make em that big.Anyway he's a large breed
    with very strong neck muscles, so I use
    only the collar.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt