Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: My buddy (co-pilot) Steve

I don't reply every day but I do check the thread. Continued prayers and support from us!

Just sending some more well-wishes, hugs and prayers your way. That is encouraging news about Steve and I hope things continue to improve. As for your singing, well remember when that "singing" message you left for me on my answering machine last year for my birthday??? If Steve hears anything like that, he'll wake up in a hurry.... All kidding aside the family must be so grateful for your love and support. Don't forget, you are there for them, but we are here for you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Thank you all. Laura, yes I have been thinking very hard about you and Eddie and understand so much better about inner strength and the power of love. Travis, my eldest grandson, is putting a CD thingy together for me to take to the hospital and yes Karen, he is adding DAY-O - it's amazing how much Mario can sound like Harry Belefonte Every day that isn't bad is good, right? Slick, Gini and Tonya - how could I get by without you? And all the rest. With love,
    Laurie

Wonderful news, Laurie! I hope and pray he continues to improve everyday. The tight hand holding and rubbing his thumb on your finger means he's in there, he just has more healing to do before he's ready to come back to reality.

Happy LES.

{{{hugs}}}
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

IBaker, Eddies wife's most often comment in the beginning was " I don't care what shape he is in, he is ALIVE and I can work with that!".

Eddies nurses use to tell us whenever we asked how he was doing, "He is doing GOOD!".. no matter how bad a day he had so one time we asked what that was all about... he had a bad day so just say so! One told us "Any day he didn't die IS a good day!" There was one of his nurses that told us he shouldn't have made it, that most that are burned that bad, don't. So I know it was the prayers and good thoughts from everyone that kept Eddie alive.

Keep singing and talking to Steve, tell him your PT friends are pulling and praying for him... If you give us a address, we can start sending cards to him at the hospital... That use to amaze Eddie (people he didn't know sending him cards) and believe me, it DID lift his spirits SO high!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

yes laurie we need to have an card avalance for Steve.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Laurie, I agree with Laura's suggestion. Could we get the address at the hospital so we can start sending Steve some cards? When he becomes more aware it would be wonderful for him to see how many people were praying for him.

Great news, he has just been moved to "Intermediate Care" which is "stepdown" from Surgical Intensive Care where he has been. He can now start receiving cards and I am allowed to bring in some music. The Intensive Care unit was so crowded with tubes and wires and stuff they asked us not to bring in anything and we could only stay a few minutes at a time. His folks will call me after talking to his Dr today. As for now, his address is
    Steve Jackson
    Washington Hospital Center
    Unit I-H
    110 Irving Street NW
    Washington DC 20010-2975
    maybe the hospital name should go first or it should say "for patient Steve Jackson" ???
    No email system in place at the hospital. You guys are the greatest.
    L

A card will be in the mail to him no later than tomorrow from here!! I am even going to ask Regina to send one if she will (and I am sure she would!). I may even print out some pictures to send since Eddie got a real kick out of pictures one lady kept sending.

STEP DOWN! YAAAAAAAA! That is the most thrilling news ever since Eddie was sent to step down, them HOME! I am Happy Dancing with all of you there!! WAY TO GO STEVE!!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Wow, even better news!!!

They normally don't allow much in intensive care, but now that he's leaving there, I'm sure his room will be filled with flowers, cards, and lots and lots of people who love him.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I just spoke with Bill & JoAnn, his folks. They were there this afternoon and Bill said he looked much better. His main care nurse isn't exactly Nurse Kratchet but according to Bill she comes close Although Steve's eyes still aren't really focusing, when Bill said "Steffie says hello" [Steffie is Steve's dog, one of my Badger dog's daughter's] Steve's eyes actually focused and stared at him. Oh my. K and Jenny and I will be by tomorrow just after noon hour. I am printing these thoughts and prayers from you all out and will read them to him. If my son Kenneth allows me, I may even sing him something Travis [eldest grandson] is busy putting the CD thing together. I may sleep well tonight. If only I hear Delta is home that would make this the best day in years. Thanks doesn't even start to explain how I feel.
    Deb, I'm sorry to say he really doesn't have "lots and lots" of friends to visit him. He is rather reclusive and my family and his folks are pretty much it.

Laurie, I'm so pleased to hear that Steve has been moved out of intensive care! That is fantastic news!

I am so happy to hear how well Steve has progressed. I know how very scared and helpless you feel in those circumstances - my husband came very close to death a while ago after an accident here in China. Lots of loving thoughts from both of us here and we will keep you all in our hearts and prayers!

Yippee!!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies

Eddies nurses use to tell us whenever we asked how he was doing, "He is doing GOOD!".. no matter how bad a day he had so one time we asked what that was all about... he had a bad day so just say so! One told us "Any day he didn't die IS a good day!" There was one of his nurses that told us he shouldn't have made it, that most that are burned that bad, don't.

That is so insightful! It makes sense, really, when you consider that they see the most needy of patients in the ICU. Reminds me of the early days with Samantha, my neice. {shudders}

Step down is such a cool, cool event. One step closer to home.

I'm so happy to hear Steve has been moved out of Intensive Care. I'm still thinking of him! *hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June