Thread: Can somebody please help me with a translation?

Can somebody please help me with a translation?

I've built a website for someone, and today, I worked on the English translation of it. It was hard work, not easy to translate, but it has to be perfect, so I was wondering if anyone here could do the proof reading for me and make some suggestions how to express things better.

Here's the link:
    http://www.inderwiesen.de/engl/garden/index.html

It's not much text on each page, but there are many pages.

Would be great if someone could help me!

Kirsten

"The garden is the last luxury of our days, because it demands that, which is the most precious for our society: time, affection and space“

no need for the first two commas...
    "The garden is the last luxury of our days because it demands that which is the most precious for our society: time, affection and space“

or...
    "The garden is the last luxury of our days because it demands things most precious for our society: time, affection and space“

I like the last wording best - Ok for translating a quote?

Ah, thanks! I found this Kienast quote on the internet, didn't even translate it myself, only copied it. Same goes for the Tagore quote on the rose page.

Edit:
    about the second version: I'm not sure, I found this quote (the first one) on the net several times, so I figure that is the "official" translation - except for the commas, I removed them.

Kirsten

At the beginning, there was the purchase of the old Art Nouveau villa, and it's renovation required the full strength of the house owner. First, Dr. Folkhard Maas-Inderwiesen spent his time with the interior fittings of the building, alongside with his job in the vet clinic that he shares with his wife.

Around the villa, there was a huge garden site of 2,500 square meters, which had not been cultivated for many years. The couple, Dr. Folkhard Maas-Inderwiesen and Dr. Sylvia Inderwiesen, who were already interested in gardening, sensed how Art Nouveau gardens may have looked like at the turn of the century.

As soon as their time allowed, they started planning, arranging and putting things into practice. With his own hands, Dr. Folkhard Maas-Inderwiesen built dry stone walls, pavilions, water basins, fountains, pergolas, lawn seats and planting tubs. The floral emphasis is on rhododendron and old roses.

Since 2004, the garden has been open on one Sunday in June during the rose-blooming season.

Thank you very much! Just edited!

I was also thinking it should be "The couple, Dr. Folkhard Maas-Inderwiesen and Dr. Sylvia Inderwiesen, was already interested..." (not "were",), right? Because "the couple" is singular.

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    I was also thinking it should be "The couple, Dr. Folkhard Maas-Inderwiesen and Dr. Sylvia Inderwiesen, was already interested..." (not "were",), right? Because "the couple" is singular.

Kirsten
    Yes, the verb refers to couple which is singular....you are right. But, it sounds awkward since the couple is then broken up in to the two names...plural...hmmm...
    How about adding the wife's name to the first paragraph and then using couple..was

How about adding the wife's name to the first paragraph and then using couple..was
    That's a good idea. It's not like that in the German version (the text that my vet gave to me), but I will edit the english version. Guess that sounds much better.

Kirsten

Here are still some sentences I need help with:

Art Nouveau Villa

The Art Nouveau villa has been built 1902 for the Royal District Administrator. The present owners purchased the house in 1982 and renovated it carefully by their own hands.

Entrance Area

Opposite to the entrance door a half-round retaining wall with benches and a fountain has been built into the slope.

Water Place

A cool, cozy place for hot days! The water running through a channel moved by a circulating pump provides you with evaporation coolness before it flows into a stonewall basin. Above the natural stone wall, there's a metal pavilion, which is entwined by the rose "Veilchenblau", and a white wisteria.

Pavilion

A place that invites to relax and spend time in a cozy atmosphere, it protects from summer rain or too much sun. Pergolas made of larch wood, entwined by old roses like "Constance Spry", "The Squire", "Winchester Cathedral" etc., are prolonging the pavilion in two axises.

Apple Tree with Rose

In the old apple tree, the climbing rose "Mme Gregoire Staechelin" is growing up to the top. In June, the rose is in full bloom. The view to this all-the-year blooming apple tree can be enjoyed best from the white bench.

Water Basin

The water basins are collecting the water coming from one half of the roof. In the summer, it is used for watering the garden. Swimming rose petals and the reflections of roses on the water surface are an attractive eye-catcher.

Boule Court

The boule court adjoins to the formal garden and is bordered by dry stone walls.

Formal Garden

Box trees and ivy are the formal elements. Old climbing roses are growing around pergolas made of iron bows. The paths and the boule court next to the formal garden are covered with a waterbound coat and bouldered on the edges.

Open Garden

Since 2004, in line with the project "Open Garden", the garden opens its gates for the public on one Sunday in June during the rose-blooming session. The initiator of this project is Naturpark Münden.

Next date: June 25, 2006

Below you'll see some impressions from the past two years:

I know, it's a lot, but it would be embarrassing if I'd made any stupid mistakes, and some of these sentences were really difficult to translate...

Thanks,
    Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    Here are still some sentences I need help with:

Art Nouveau Villa

The Art Nouveau villa was built in 1902 for the Royal District Administrator. The present owners purchased the house in 1982 and renovated it carefully with their own hands.

Entrance Area

Opposite (of) the entrance door, a half-round retaining wall with benches and a fountain is built into the slope.

Water Place

A cool, cozy place for hot days! The water running through a channel and moved by a circulating pump provides you with evaporation coolness before it flows into a stonewall basin. Above the natural stone wall, there's a metal pavilion which is entwined by the rose "Veilchenblau" and a white wisteria.

Pavilion

A place that invites you to relax and spend time in a cozy atmosphere, it protects from summer rain or too much sun. Pergolas made of larch wood and entwined by old roses like "Constance Spry", "The Squire", "Winchester Cathedral" etc., (present tense verb needed here) the pavilion in two axises.

Apple Tree with Rose

In the old apple tree, the climbing rose "Mme Gregoire Staechelin" grows all the way to the top. In June, the rose is in full bloom. The view to this year-round blooming apple tree can be best enjoyed from the white bench.

Water Basin

The water basins collect the water coming from one half of the roof. In the summer, it is used for watering the garden. Swimming rose petals and the reflections of roses on the water surface are an attractive eye-catcher.

Boule Court

The boule court adjoins the formal garden and is bordered by dry stone walls.

Formal Garden

Box trees and ivy are the formal elements. Old climbing roses grow around pergolas made of iron bows. The paths and the boule court next to the formal garden are covered with a waterbound coat and are bouldered on the edges.

Open Garden

Since 2004, in line with the project "Open Garden", the garden opens its gates for the public on one Sunday in June during the rose-blooming session. The initiator of this project is Naturpark Münden.

Next date: June 25, 2006

Below you'll see some impressions from the past two years:

I know, it's a lot, but it would be embarrassing if I'd made any stupid mistakes, and some of these sentences were really difficult to translate...

Thanks,
    Kirsten

Hope this helps Kirsten. The only thing I noticed was the changing of verb tenses. I believe everything is in present tense now except for the historical facts.

Thank you very much, Debbie, your help is really appreciated!

I'm going to edit the text now. LOL, seems I'm really stupid when it comes to tenses, but this is so different in German!

A place that invites you to relax and spend time in a cozy atmosphere, it protects from summer rain or too much sun. Pergolas made of larch wood and entwined by old roses like "Constance Spry", "The Squire", "Winchester Cathedral" etc., (present tense verb needed here) the pavilion in two axises.

I'm a bit helpless with this one. Which verb would you suggest? what she meant was that these two pergolas are extensions of the pavilion.

Kirsten

I'm not much help with the translation but is this place going to be a place some one could stay at. If so i may have to come visit you and the kitties. Looks so increditable.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

A place that invites you to relax and spend time in a cozy atmosphere, it protects you from the summer rain or too much sun. The pergolas are made of larch wood and entwined by old roses like "Constance Spry", "The Squire", "Winchester Cathedral" etc., and extend the pavilion in two directions.