Thread: Help:strange Rottweiler Behaior

Talking Help:strange Rottweiler Behaior

I have a German Rottweiler named Siriss. He is just over a year old. He is very friendly with everyone and loves other animals. The problem is I have a cousin he seems to really hate. If this man comes in the house he barks and growls. He will sit and stare at him watching everything he does. If I'm in the room he walks circles around me barking and growl while staring at my cousin.At first I thought it was the way he wears his hat but now I know it isn't because he has been around many people who also wear their hats like that. I am wondering if this is normal. If not what does anyone think I should do. I mean don't get me wrong he isn't aggresive he does all of this from the other side of the room looking around a table or chair. Any advise would help.

Good News. I figured out the problem. My cousin came by today and he didn't act that way he was friendly like he is to everyone else. So I asked him if there was something he usually had on when he was at my house that he didn't have on. He said yes. Since it was hunting season he had on stuff that is supposed to hide your scent. So I got him to go out to his truck and put it on. When he came back in Siriss started acting funny. Just to make sure that is what it was I put it on and he wouldn't come anywhere near me. Which is not him at all he is normally trying to get in my lap no matter where I am. So happy ending problem solved.
    Last edited by ~*MS.MISSYH*~; 02-22-2006 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Adding An Update. Good News

My opinion is watch your cousin dogs know things we don't. For the time being put him in another room while the cousin is there.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Quote Originally Posted by Corinna
    My opinion is watch your cousin dogs know things we don't. For the time being put him in another room while the cousin is there.

That is what my sister said. It was just weird because my other dog doesn't do it. I geuss I'm just worried because I'm am training him to be a therapy dog and he can't do that when he is working.Thanks For the advice.

My first question would be "what did your cousin do to him as a puppy?" Dogs never forget when someone did something to them. He could have played rough with him, kicked him, accidentally hurt him, and so on.

If your cousin was never alone with Siriss and you can swear that there was nothing bad done to him, then perhaps he just plain doesn't like your cousin. He might move in a manner Siriss doesn't like. He might smell like something Siriss doesn't like.

Edit -- I just saw your response for therapy dog. Make sure he is socialized to the hilt. Have you gone for his CGC yet?

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    My first question would be "what did your cousin do to him as a puppy?" Dogs never forget when someone did something to them. He could have played rough with him, kicked him, accidentally hurt him, and so on.

If your cousin was never alone with Siriss and you can swear that there was nothing bad done to him, then perhaps he just plain doesn't like your cousin. He might move in a manner Siriss doesn't like. He might smell like something Siriss doesn't like.

Edit -- I just saw your response for therapy dog. Make sure he is socialized to the hilt. Have you gone for his CGC yet?

I'm not sure if he hurt him or not. Come to think of it I never thought of that. He has been alone with him a few times when he was really little. Like I said he does all of this from the other side of the room while hiding. No I haven't done any of his test. He is still in obedience right now and going to the park and things like that so he is around other people and animal. Stuff like that. That is why I said in training. It will be awhile before he starts. I don't think he is old enough yet. He still has the puppy hyperness. Thanks for your advice.

Maybe he knows something you do not know about your cousin. Has your cousin ever hurt your Rottweiler or made a wrong move with him?
    Cyan is the GREATEST dog in the world!

Mika has a huge problem with any man with a hat, and as I'm convinced she was treated badly before I rescued her, I think her previous owner wore a hat. Uniforms also upset her.

Hi, I have 2 rotts...my male Angus does not like one of my brother's for nothing in the world....they are both very friendly, but for some reason he doesn't like my brother, but i think that he can sense that my brother doesn't like dog's. Now my other girl now at rainbrow bridge..when she was a young my other brother did something to her and she never forgot and she would do what your dog is doing to your cousin. they are very smart!

Thank You everyone for your advice.

Glad to hear he behaved himself this time! Hopefully he'll be good around your cousin from now on He's a beautiful Rottweiler!

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller