Thread: Heartworm Season!!

Heartworm Season!!

Hi all,
    This is just a reminder that the weather has turned warm and if you dog (or cat, even indoor ones) aren't on a Heartworm protection medication: THEN THEY SHOULD BE!!

The clinic that I worked for usualy sees their Heartworm cases early in spring because a lot of people don't use HeartGuard or a simmilar product over the winter (no mosquitoes when it is frozen outside) and then they forget come spring.

There is now a Heartworm injectable that you do four times a year, but it does not protect your dog against all the intestinal parasites that will also become a problem as the soil gets warm.

Stay Safe!!

Cheers,
    Tigeress
    No matter what happens at least my pets still love me.

Make a fast friend -Adopt a Greyound!!

Thanks for the reminder Tigress.....SO important! Also, tick season is already in full force here, fleas sure to follow, so if you use frontline or advantage, it's time!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thanks for the reminder Tigeress. A very timely
    message for all pet lovers. My dog Buddy does get
    Hartgard every month (all Year), but I've been trying
    to hold off on the Advantage for another week, as Bud
    goes to the groomers to get a much needed bath on
    Friday.With weather around her being in the 80s for
    days now I just know it's time for flea protection. My
    kitties are getting their Advantage on Sat., but please
    don't tell them, it's a surprise !!!

thanks, I do need a reminder - I'm going to check right now if I've given one this month

No problem everyone! Anything to keep your babies Heartworm free! I would always get nervous when it was my turn to do Heartworm testing for other people's dogs. Luckily I personaly never found a single case!!

Advantage eh? I'm a Frontline gal myself. Not that there is much of a differance in the products. And don't worry I won't tell if you won't (I don't know why my dog hates the Frontline so much, it doesn't hurt!)

Cheers,
    T

This is a good reminder. I heard something today that is really surprising. When I had my dogs at the vet today I overheard a vet tech telling a customer that they have already had 5 cases of heartworm sofar this season! I would guess that the dogs were infested in the fall sometime, but I found that to be shocking and scary. I guess the fact that I already have 2 mosquito bites on my legs means that the heartworm season is truly here.

Adoremydogs-

MI and the Mid-West area is a Hot Bed for Heartworm. The conditions around there are just right. My friends clinic in Indiana had 93 cases of Heartworm last year! Of course I'm betting that is because there are a lot of 'barn dogs' that don't get stuff like HeartGaurd and are outside all the time. This winter was very mild so the bugs were just hopping for a chance to get out there and bite!

And a strange but true fact is that humans can get Heartworm as well. However, don't be alarmed you have to have a sever immunodeffience disorder (such as advanced AIDS) to come down with it. It is very rare, but I have heard of a few cases.

Cheers,
    T

Thanks for the reminder. We give it to them year round, and they need their pill on the 20th, couldn't you have just waited 2 days!!! {Just Kidding }

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Has anyone tried this stuff called Biospot?

I'll try to post the link to it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...d=8&pCatId=517
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Biospot is DEADLY to cats, even if you just put it on your dog and then it rubs off on the carpet and then the cat gets on the carpet! I suggest Frontline and Advantage.

Cheers,
    T

Thank you, Tigeress. You just made my decision a lot easier.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Always be wary of over the counter drugs for pets! Some are good, others are dangerous or simply don't work.

Cheers,
    T

I saw a misquito in my truck this morning, and gave Cincy her pill when I got home (I keep them on Heartguard year round and Sadie gets hers the 1st of the month) Also, did a Frontline treatment for both. Thanks for the reminder!