Thread: Easy to get dogs to turn lights on

Smile Easy to get dogs to turn lights on

I have 2 border collies, both easily learned to turn the lights on and off. Pretty easy trick actually! Both love to do any tricks I can teach them, always looking for a new one.
    Chuck

For those who are interested in teaching this trick to their dogs, how would you go about doing it?

I'm currently trying to teach Jamie to close doors, but no luck so far xD

facebook

I taught Jack to turn the lights on...we're still working on turning them off But what I did was put a dab of peanut butter on the underside of the switch and he would accidentally hit the switch up in his attempt to get the treat. It only took him maybe 10 minutes to master! Now you can't keep him away from light switches

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I think this would cause more harm than good in my house, lol . My hound, Maggie, already lets herself in the bedroom when we shut the door (it's a bi-fold, and she has taught herself to push in the middle and then slide it over the rest of the way with her nose) so that she can get on the waterbed, pictured in my sig (Maggie and Belle both on the waterbed). I think I'll save the light switch trick for when they are earning money to help with the power bill .

I'm having trouble with it because Alli isn't tall enough...

I think Jenny'd rip up the walls and wallpaper trying to get the PB off. Plus, I'm still trying to teach her not to jump up.{its going well}

Of course, unless she saw me put it there she'd probably never notice.

My mom would probably not let me put it there anyways.
    Thank-you Maltese_Love
    for the wonderful siggy
    of Jenny.

Quote Originally Posted by dog_pug123
    I'm having trouble with it because Alli isn't tall enough...

I really laughed at that..lol..first teach her how to get the stool over by the switch and then to get on the stool , then get to the light switch trick..lol..lol..lol..

Thumbs up Easy to get dogs to turn lights on

All you need is a switch with a ball on a chain that the dog pulls (from DogTricks.biz ). It is very easy to teach your dog, just pulling on a ball. Much cleaner than using beanut butter! and way easier than teaching your dog to close the door. I found opening the door was easy to teach (just pull on a rope tied to the knob) but closing did not come naturally.

my dogs dont really do tricks, more like favors for me when they feel generous. though once little Nora tried to chase her tail (which happens to be about 1cm long), and flipped over. she stood on her head for a little while, then realized she was upside down.
    me

Tito has learned to open the front door, which is a pain in the butt! I might as well hang a sign out front ¨ROBB ME PLEASE¨, thank goodness for double locks.

I tought my old dog to open doors. He got so good he was able to unlock the door, turn the handle down & then push the door open with his nose. However he refused to learn how to close the door hehe

I only tought him that trick because it was annoying listening to his big deep WOOF, everytime a critter was in the yard. He would just let himself out & chase it, or bark once & watch it run away