Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit bulls: Vicious animals or misunderstood?

Pit bulls: Vicious animals or misunderstood?

There was an articile in the paper about Pit Bulls. It said: Pit Bulls, Vicious animals or misunderstood? And it ended up saying if you make one mistake with them your done for it and at 2 years old you have to be the most careful. Is this true? I've gotten attacked by my neighbor's two a couple years ago when I lived in Alabama, and I moved because of them. I definetly don't think it's the dogs doing though, I know it's the owner's or breeder's doing to make the dogs vicious. What do you guys think I personally don't really know what to think of the dogs...

"It's all about the dog"

There are many threads here on "Pit bulls", so I'll keep this brief. ANY animal, if poorly bred, mistreated, abused, or otherwise poorly trained can be dangerous. It's the twit owners, not the animals.

I totally agree with you after it being explained slightly.

"It's all about the dog"

Look at those jaws...

Reminds me of that day in Alabama. Anyway, I would never want to get bit again by those jaws. Just wanted to show you guys the powerfulness.

"It's all about the dog"

Unfortunately, there's always a story of a pitbull attack in Philadelphia, some by getting loose, others by family dogs. Recently a 2 year old girl had part of her scalp ripped away (survived) while visiting her cousin's house. ]Personally, I also agree that it's most likely the owners. I could put my hand in my neighbor's pit's mouth, grab his huge head and give eskimo kisses and do anything to him. He was great around kids, babies, everything. He was in terrible pain on his last day on earth, but when I went over to kiss him goodbye, his owner said it was the first time all day he stood up and he put his head on my lap. He was protective, but obedient. I was the only person outside family who could just walk into their house. I firmly believe it's all in your aura and personality with any dog. But yes, as with any dog, unless it suffers from an neurological disorder, it's tempermant lays on the owner. I've never ever met a mean pitbull. Early training and socialzation with any dog is crucial. I hang my head in shame to say that my Cody, being a Lab/Golden mix was undersocialized (my fault-I didn't know) and could be unpredictable (but never bit anyone). Sorry to go on. I just get angry when certain breeds are blamed for having a bad reputation.

I've been Boooo'd!

I am not going to lie, my girl Jesse can be aggressive when she gets scared. She has never bit anyone, but our last vet appointment, we had to muzzle her. Granted, the vet tech was the same one who take care of her after her leg amputation, but she still might have tried to bite her. Jesse is dog aggressive too, if she is not held on a leash. She is not a pittie, she is an English Springer spaniel, and is so loving around me and my mom that you would never guess she would do that. The whole point of me saying this, is that ANY dog breed can be aggressive and "dangerous."

One last thing, in a scientific study on dogs most likely to bite, the pit bull was 4th...from the BOTTOM of the list...golden retrievers are more likely to bite then a well-raised pittie. This pretty much says that it IS the owners fault if the dog is agressive...

Sorry, that was a little longer than I had planned..this is just a subject that affects me so much because I love dogs...
    Steph and Jes

Recently, two Husky's attacked and killed the child they lived with.

Some people are nervous around my husky mix and I respect that. But I treat her with all the love and care in the world and I hope she knows that she doesn't have to bite anyone, be it out of fear or annoyance.

Like Lady's Human said, any dog can be vicious if raised in the wrong enviroment.

I've never met a mean pitbull but have come across more than a fair share of mean smaller breeds. I don't hate any dog because of it.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth

Like Lady's Human said, any dog can be vicious if raised in the wrong enviroment.
    that's SO true!! I have never met a mean pit bull, either. I honestly think that they are misunderstood, they are not vicious; but you cannot show them any aggression whatsoever! At the humane society, the lady who runs it has a pit bull foster. She gave me kisses the other day and I know I sound cheesey but it was great. It just warmed my heart. Here she is..her name is Aris:

Isn't she a beauty?
    she is just an awesome dog. A few people on here have pit bulls and they are NOT vicious!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

First off, I'm so sorry you were attacked that must have been horrible! I own a pit bull she is not aggressive at all she loves people! A pit bull does mature slow, it takes them until two or three before they are mature. A pit bull is never supposed to show any human aggression at all. So many people that own them have no businnes owning that breed. I honestly think they are very misunderstood when a pit bull does attack it's almost alwyas the owners fault. As they say, "Blame the deed not the breed" If you could meet my Ebony you would love her. I know you might be a little scared because of what happened to you but I can honestly tell you she would kiss you death nothing more.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Well, just in my opinion, I am scared of them. But I do know it is not their fault. It has to do with the owners. A pug could go attacking someone, just like a Pit. Although I'm not scared of any other breed... I still know it's not the dog. All of the dogs are being blamed, not that one dog only. After all, DON'T BLAME THE BREED BLAME THAT DOG

Quote Originally Posted by dog_pug123
    After all, DON'T BLAME THE BREED BLAME THAT DOG
    Nooo... really, it isn't the dog's fault, either!! It can't help how it was raised and trained. Its their irresponsible owners' faults!!

facebook

Pit bulls were bred for hundreds of years for aggression towards other dogs and docility towards humans. Check out "Monser Myths" from a local Pit BUll rescue, BAD RAP.

Also, http://www.atts.org/ is worth taking a look at....temperament testing done on lots of breeds of dogs...the Pit Bull is one of the high scoring breeds on this test. 83.3% of them passed, as opposed to 65.6% of Scottish terriers, 64.8% of Schnauzers, etc.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    Pit bulls were bred for hundreds of years for aggression towards other dogs and docility towards humans. Check out "Monser Myths" from a local Pit BUll rescue, BAD RAP.

Also, http://www.atts.org/ is worth taking a look at....temperament testing done on lots of breeds of dogs...the Pit Bull is one of the high scoring breeds on this test. 83.3% of them passed, as opposed to 65.6% of Scottish terriers, 64.8% of Schnauzers, etc.
    Those are interesting websites...I have to admit the ATTS test seems a bit tough, though. Mainly just the gunshot part- I would be terrified! I think my dogs would probably be okay with that though, my husband is always trying out different sounds on them to get them interested, so they mainly ignore it. I think my dogs would pass but I'm not sure how they would react to an aggressive stranger since that's never happened before.

rupert, I can understand your hesitation around pitbulls if you were attacked, that must have been awful. But I agree with the others, it is the owner's fault, not the dog's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Nooo... really, it isn't the dog's fault, either!! It can't help how it was raised and trained. Its their irresponsible owners' faults!!
    EXACTLY!!! I am in love with pit bulls and this BSL makes me sick!!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    Thats what I have always said. Even pits who were trained and bred to fight aren't aggressive towards humans. In fact, they have to be docile towards humans because if they get hurt or injured in the fighting ring, their owner has to come get them out, and they can't attack them. You know?? So yes, thats another BIG myth.

facebook