Thread: Bloat and/or DM

Bloat and/or DM

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone ever had a dog diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy. Tok had been diagnosed a year and a half ago, and he was progressing very slowly. He had lost a lot of weight, but was still doing the stairs pretty well and running around outside. He had his slips, but was still very independent.
    Then a month and a half ago he bloated, his stomach had twisted. It happened late at night, by the time we got him to the vet it was too late, his spleen also twisted, he was close to rupturing, and in heart failure. We had to euthanize him.

I found out only after that his DM placed him at a higher risk for Bloat. I wish I had known beforehand. Has anyone had any experiance with either of these conditions?
    Jen and pack

For Tok, I will always remember the happier days when you howled and played as one of our pack. You will never be forgotten, and you can never be replaced. God has a special place for special creatures, and that is where we will meet again. Forever in our hearts, love always, your family.

Very sorry to hear about your dog Tok.
    I have never had one of my dogs bloat, but
    I have heard stories of
    others that have.
    My male dogs sire died of bloat.
    Very devastating to have this happen to your dog.

----<---<--<{(@

Dm

I can't recall ever hearing of a connection between DM and GDV, but that doesn't mean much. You might find this DM discussion interesting.
    http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-b....pl?read=25853

I'm very sorry to hear about Tok, he was a beautiful dog.

I've never heard of Degenerative Myelopathy before but I did some research on it and it sounds terrible.

As for bloat I did have a dog die from it about 5 years ago. At that time I had no idea what bloat even was. By the time I could get our Keisha to the vet she was just about gone. She died on the table.
    It's something VERY, VERY horrible to watch and I'm sorry you had to see your poor boy go through it.

My condolences to you.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

So sorry about Tok, that's very sad. I worry about bloat an try to be very careful with their feeding. There is one PTer, christiansmommy, who lost their dog to bloat about a year ago, Dale the Swissie. She was devastated. I guess certain breeds are more suseptible.