Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designer Breeds

Designer Breeds

I was watching the news and there was a part on Designer Breeds. It said there was a new, popular one called a 'Puggle' a Pug, Beagle. They are cute, but it's really, very pathetic Giving mixed breed dogs purebred names. They said there are now over 200 registered 'Designer Breeds'. They are just high-priced, new named mutts. One breeder was selling her 8 puppies for $2500! People really need to fix mixed breeds. This is really stupid and horrible.

I love puggles, they're so cute Puggles are mix-breeds not mutts.
    I do not support mix-breeding. But I have nothing against mixbreeds or mutts
    I wouldn't spend $2500 to buy a mix-breed or a mutt,
    but I wouldn't spend that kind of money to buy a pedigree dog either

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Designer dogs are just plain wrong!!!!!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

ALL back yard breeding and unethical breeding is wrong, be it purebreds with papers or mixed breeds. You people need to get it through your thick skulls that a dog is a dog is a dog. It doesn't matter what people will pay for it, I'd love a foxhound pyrenees mix and I'd have to pay for it because they aren't normally found. Either way, its wrong for breeders to constantly produce puppies when there are plenty in shelters. All breeds were mutts at one point in time and people then called them wrong. Its time we learned from history, quit knocking down the breeds and start going after the breeders. If some family decided to breed a beagle and a pug whats the difference if they just breed two pugs. Same amount of puppies that the people shouldn't be breeding.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I agree. It's plain wrong. Everyone asked me what kind of dog I wanted before I got Missy. I just said, I won't know till the dog picks me. They all looked at me funny, I just said there's a dog in an animal shelter somewhere that needs me. Lucky me I found her at the first one I walked into. People don't get it. It's not about the breed, it's the dog. I just don't know how someone can go to a breeder and spend all that money, when you can go to animal control and adopt a pooch that has as much love as Missy's brought my family. Especially the love she's given my children.

I agree with every single one of you.

Sometimes it seems people forget how breeds evolved. Once upon a time this was bred with that because someone wanted a dog that did whatever.
    It isn't like "One day God created the labrador" and that was that.
    There is a reason why breeders began crossing breeds. My sister raises pugs, and the problems they have with their respiratory system and sinuses have become so common place. She likes the puggle breed because it's essentially still very much a pug, with the benefit from the beagle's airways.
    Just because it isn't recognized by any kennel club (yet) doesn't mean it isn't a new and evolving breed.

What a shame anyone could be disgusted with a dog just because they're not registered with the AKC.
    Jen and pack

For Tok, I will always remember the happier days when you howled and played as one of our pack. You will never be forgotten, and you can never be replaced. God has a special place for special creatures, and that is where we will meet again. Forever in our hearts, love always, your family.

BTW
    I wouldn't spend a dime over the necessary expences to rescue a dog. When it comes to the gas chamber at the local shelter, the gas does the same no matter the breed. Best friends don't need to cost a fortune.
    Jen and pack

For Tok, I will always remember the happier days when you howled and played as one of our pack. You will never be forgotten, and you can never be replaced. God has a special place for special creatures, and that is where we will meet again. Forever in our hearts, love always, your family.

howl4 and irescue, I agree with both of you, as far as the fact that NO ONE should breed unless they're bettering their breed. But, essentially, 99.9% of Puggle breeders are not breeding to create a breed, at all,or to better a breed, or to improve breeds of dogs, or to create a wonderful pet (because there are already countless well-bred purebred dogs that fit that criteria). Neither are the Doodle breeders. They are riding on a trend, and making millions doing it. I honestly saw one of the country's biggest "Puggle" breeders on Good Morning America, saying his "Puggles" have none of the health or behavioral issues of either breed - no Pug breathing problems, no Beagle behaviorial issues. Maybe a percentage of Puggles don't, but mixed breeds have no guarentee at all as to what they will act/look like. I'm sure just as large a percentage of the puppies not only have Pug breathing issues, they also howl, run away, and dig! They aren't improving Pugs,they're hurting them, badly.

The breeders who exploit these poor pups are sickening. And every mixed breed breeder IS adding to shelter statistics, if they aren't breeding to improve an established breed.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I agree. To some extent. I am not totally against breeding or mating or whatever. I'd really rather that all animals did not go extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by howl4metok
    Sometimes it seems people forget how breeds evolved. Once upon a time this was bred with that because someone wanted a dog that did whatever.
    It isn't like "One day God created the labrador" and that was that.
    There is a reason why breeders began crossing breeds. My sister raises pugs, and the problems they have with their respiratory system and sinuses have become so common place. She likes the puggle breed because it's essentially still very much a pug, with the benefit from the beagle's airways.
    Just because it isn't recognized by any kennel club (yet) doesn't mean it isn't a new and evolving breed.

What a shame anyone could be disgusted with a dog just because they're not registered with the AKC.
    The dog breeds that we have today were originally bred for a purpose. I am against breeding in all aspects if the dogs being produced are not being produced for working ability. What does a puggle do to work? Nothing. A companion? Yes, but there are just as many wonderful companions (puggles included) at the shelter.

What does a pug do to work?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I have no idea, I know nothing of the breed. There are a LOT of breeds out there that aren't used for anything anymore.

I'm not really "against" breeding purebreds that aren't bred to work so long as the breeder does health tests. It just kind of saddens me that people are breeding for companionship when there are so many wonderful companions in the shelters.

However if you are going to buy from a breeder, I do think it should be a purebred. We have so many breeds to choose from already, and if a person wants a "Puggle" or a "Labradoodle" then I really think they should just go to the shelter.

there are MANY PureCrosses at shelters. Just think of it this way, The original owners pay $800, they get tired of caring for it, you go to the shelter and adopt it for $50. WHY breed dogs if you are just breeding for companionship when on average 10 adoptable dogs die in each shelter every night due to overpopulation?? I agree with .sarah

Niño & Eliza

Wow, everyone here seems convinced that mixing breeds can't possibly better anything at all, and all such breeders are in it for money.
    I could say plenty about purebred breeders as well...
    But since it isn't possible that new breeds can be developed, and it isn't possible that these dogs have any purpose at all, then I suppose there is nothing more to discuss.
    Jen and pack