Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Brodie . . . More Allergies???

Update on Brodie . . . More Allergies???

I know we have a high risk of allergies for living in KY, but GEESH! First Josie with her asthma . . . now Brodie???

I took Brodie to the vet today for his Vomiting/Wound/Vacs.

He got all of his yearly shots. (DID NOT enjoy those. )

The vet thinks that he has an allergy to food and that's the reason he is vomiting. She also thinks that his "wound" is not a wound, but an allergic reaction.

If I remember right, I noticed that sore just a few days after I started feeding him the regular Nutro.

She wants to start him on Hills Prescription DD . . . it says: "Food allergy and intolerance may result in numerous skin and stomach problems that can cause discomfort and pain in your cat. This condition, also known as an adverse reaction to food, is usually an abnormal response to the protein found in many pet foods." - Sounds like our problems . . . I hope it helps.

I was really hoping that it was just hairballs. I just don't know . . . I'm more confused now than ever.

Can anyone help me make sense of this?
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

CJ also has allergies. We know this because he has had continual diarrhea for the entire year or so he's been with us. I finally got sick of spending a ton of money on food that made no difference, so I bit the bullet and paid for the allergy test. See here for the results http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...hlight=allergy

Finally in January we started him on the Science Diet Z/D. Haven't heard of the DD.... We are finally starting to see results in the form of tootsie rolls. However, it must be noted that he is also on Prednisolone. The vet figured his intestines were inflamed and the Pred is an anti-inflammatory (sp?). Ever since he's been on the Pred, his vomiting has virtually stopped, and now with the Z/D we're getting tootsie rolls, so I'm hoping in time we can eliminate the Pred and just stick to the Z/D.

The only problem is, Peanut does NOT like the Z/D and will not eat it, even if I go a few days without giving her anything else (tried the old "she'll eat it if she gets hungry enough and she wouldn't! ), so now I have to figure out how to feed her - who has been free fed for her entire 17 years - without CJ getting his nose in the regular food. After a few days of tootsie rolls, we were negligent and he got in the regular food again and even though he only ate a little, the diarrhea returned immediately.

So, it's actually a good thing your vet suggested this diet first so you don't have to go through the trial and error routine I did. I actually sent an email to Science Diet to get their take on it. Here's their reply:
    Dear Debbie :

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are delighted to help you today.

Most allergy experts agree that protein is what causes allergic reactions, not fat. Typically, peanut oil is not allergenic to peanut-sensitive individuals and that soybean oil is not allergenic to soybean-sensitive individuals.

Brewers rice and rice protein concentrate is white rice.

Attached is additional information on allergies you may find helpful. We would suggest speaking with your veterinarian for the appropriate food recommendation.

Comments from our customers are one of the most important sources we have for measuring the quality and acceptance of our products and the services we provide. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to call our Consumer Affairs Department toll free at 1-800-445-5777 or revisit HillsPet.com.

Sincerely,

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
    Consumer Affairs

I do believe this diet will help Brodie. Sounds like his allergies are worse/different from CJ's because CJ doesn't have any skin problems - just the diarrhea. The Z/D is expensive, but according to my vet, the long term complications of inflamed intestines and bowels are nothing you want to deal with, so what do we do but bite the bullet and give them what they need?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Update on Brodie

Poor little Brodie! It's hard to make them understand that the food they like may not be good for them. Wish I could offer a solution here. All of the PT folks are super, hopefully someone can offer some help. Maybe your vet can suggest some way to make it more appetizing. Come on, Brodie... Meowmie is only trying to help you feel better, your new food can't be so bad. Go ahead and give it a try, okay?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Oh Christa, I'm so sorry that you and Brodie are having such a tough time right now! I know it has to be frustrating with all the vomiting on your new carpets! I hope that the new food helps his tummy and skin get feeling better soon!

((((HUGS))))
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I went back to the email SD sent me and looked at the attachments. This was interesting too. It may not look well formatted because they sent a PDF file and it didn't copy and paste too well. If you want to PM me your email address, I will forward the entire email from them to you.
    -------------------
    Caring
    for your
    Pet

SIGNS OF FOOD ALLERGIES AND INTOLERANCE
    • Itching • Skin rashes
    • Vomiting • Diarrhea
    • Excess gas • Hair loss

THE ROLE OF NUTRITION
    In the past, pets with adverse reactions to food were fed homemade recipes or novel proteins (proteins the pet has never eaten). Today, the latest innovation in pet food uses the process of hydrolyzation to break down protein molecules to a size that doesn’t allow an allergic response.
    The same process has been used for years in special formulas for infants who are sensitive or allergic to milk protein.

HOME CARE
    • Because the ingredient causing an adverse reaction may occur in a variety of foods, only give your pet the food recommended by your veterinarian.
    • Do not feed any table scraps.
    • Be sure everyone who feeds your pet is aware of your pet’s nutritional needs.
    • Provide free access to fresh, clean water.
    • Speak to your veterinarian before changing your pet’s medication or feeding regimen.
    Your pet has been diagnosed with an adverse reaction to food, a general term used to describe any food allergy or intolerance. This information is provided by your veterinarian to help you understand the condition and give your pet the best home care. Proper nutrition can help
    limit the health problems associated with food allergy or intolerance.

WHAT IS AN ADVERSE REACTION TO FOOD?
    Adverse reactions to food, which include food allergies and food intolerance, can have unpleasant dermatological and gastrointestinal effects. Food allergies can occur at any age and develop over time. Signs may occur immediately after the pet eats the offending ingredient. Most
    adverse reactions to food are caused by large, intact proteins that the body’s immune system interprets as allergens.

CAUSES OF ADVERSE REACTIONS TO FOOD
    Factors that can cause or increase the risk of adverse reactions to food include:
    • Certain foods or food ingredients
    • Poorly digestible proteins
    • Damage to the digestive tract, caused by inflammation, infection or surgery
    • Certain breeds, such as Siamese cats, West Highland White Terriers, Cocker Spaniels and Irish Setters appear more likely to develop food allergies and intolerance. Adverse Reactions
    To Food
    HYDROLYZATION: CUTTING PROTEINS DOWN TO SIZE
    Intact protein can cause an allergic response
    Hydrolyzation breaks the protein down into small pieces
    Hydrolyzed proteins are too small to cause an allergic reaction

Special Home Care Instructions For Your Pet:
    Prescription Diet® z/d™
    Prescription Diet® Canine z/d™ULTRA
    Special Feeding Instructions:
    AMOUNT
    HOW OFTEN
    HOW LONG
    OTHER INSTRUCTIONS
    NEXT CHECKUP/FOLLOW-UP
    Prescription Diet® z/d™ and Prescription Diet®
    Canine z/d™ ULTRA are specially formulated as nutritional aids for pets with adverse reactions to food. The hydrolyzed protein sources are unlikely to stimulate an allergic response in your pet. They are also highly digestible.

Prescription Diet® Feline z/d™
    The first and only dry food on the market with hydrolyzed protein sources for cats with food allergies. Contains no intact animal protein, but some intact protein in the form of rice, which has a very low allergy risk.

FEEDING TIPS
    • Follow your veterinarian’s directions when feeding any Prescription Diet® therapeutic food.
    • Gradually introduce the new food over a 7-day period by mixing the new food with the old.
    • If your pet is reluctant to try a new food, hand feed or mix the dry food with warm water (dog food only).
    • Be patient but firm with your pet – success depends on strict adherence to the new food.
    ----------------------------

I realized they did also send me information on the d/d so I guess I have heard of it.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    I realized they did also send me information on the d/d so I guess I have heard of it.
    Can you send me that info?
    -christa

Quote Originally Posted by momcat
    Maybe your vet can suggest some way to make it more appetizing. Come on, Brodie... Meowmie is only trying to help you feel better, your new food can't be so bad. Go ahead and give it a try, okay?
    Actually, this new food, the D/D, is supposed to be REALLY YUMMY!!!

AND . . . there's 3 or 4 different flavors . . .

Duck & Green Pea
    Venison & Green Pea
    Rabbit & Green Pea

LOL . . . anyway, the vet says that cats really really really like the taste. So that shouldn't be a problem.
    -christa

Christa, I missed thisearlier! So sorry to hear this about poor Brodie! and I was so hopeful the hairball food wold help! At least he was keeping it down better than the other food

Please keep us updated on how things are going.

We are praying taht ypu can get Brodie to eat his Food. When I still was Guardian of Mr Scrappy they gace me a Medical Senior Food for him,which Michael,then a Kitten loved.
    I hope that you can do better with Brodie.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Often Hill's has wet food in the same formulas as the dry...maybe adding some of that to the dry would make it more appetizing. If there isn't the exact formula, maybe your vet has a wet Hill's or other food that would be ok.

Good luck with poor Brodie!

hugs
    Catty1

They do make the D/D in wet food . . . it's just hard to give one wet and not the other. Josie can't have wet because if she eats anything even remotely soft, she scoots her little bum all over the carpet for days! But I might think about getting a few cans from the vet for Brodie to give him . . . maybe I can sneak them to him in the laundry room or something. Thanks for the idea.
    -christa

I'm so sorry to hear about Brodie. Hopefully his new diet will do the trick and he'll also enjoy eating it. Please continue to keep us updated.

Those foods sound yummy enough for people!

I hope that you can get this resolved and the cat weaned off pred. Steroids can cause liver damage and diabetes if used long term.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Wow . . . finally found my thread.
    -christa

All things about Cat Health belong in this forum, where people are more likely to be able to respond with knowlegeable answers. Cat General is just for this that are not health, behavior, games, breed-specific, rescue or memorial related!