Thread: My puppy doesnt like to go for walks.. Why?!

Unhappy My puppy doesnt like to go for walks.. Why?!

I have a 11 week old puppy and we've been taking her out for short walks and she doesnt seem to be enjoying it all that much.. As soon as she walks outside she wants to go back in. We are taking her out twice a day to get her use to it..

Any tips?
    Say hi to Sasha!

Are you sure its that she doesn't like walks, or that she's not used to walking on a leash??

facebook

Baby steps...for real, lol. My Sandy, yellow lab, at almost 3 months, was scared of walk. Love's backyard to play, but was very skitish about walking. New territory, strange new world, I guess. I had to do it slowly, let her look and get used to new scenary--we started going little further each day.

Maybe, she feels vurnerable to danger or your tugging her to hard along?

She will get used to it, it will just take some time. The world's a big, scary place for a wee little puppy girl! And it is winter time, and pretty cold out there for a not-too-fluffy gal, too. She's as cute as can be, give her a kiss for me, okay?

3 months from now, you'll probably have forgotten all about the time when she didn't like walks!

She'll get used to it. Kai used to be terrified of walking. I got him used to it by letting him explore the (fenced) yard with a collar and leash dragging. Then I started walking him around the yard (holding the leash) and eventually started walking him around the block.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by binka_nugget
    She'll get used to it. Kai used to be terrified of walking. I got him used to it by letting him explore the (fenced) yard with a collar and leash dragging. Then I started walking him around the yard (holding the leash) and eventually started walking him around the block.

Thats what we did for Oscar and Baby.

When I first got Tikeya, she never wore a leash, she would follow me EVERYWHERE.. ( I'm not passing that on as advise though lol )
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Thanks for the tips guys!

Seems to be getting better everytime so I guess it's just a matter of time.

Karen : I will give her that kiss
    Say hi to Sasha!

Sasha is ADORABLE! Yeah, I think the leash trailing and then the 'letting her walk you' aspect is one of the best ideas. It really IS a scary world out there. Keep up the praise when she does well. Soon, she'll be pulling you along with her. (Of course, we don't really want THAT, but she'll get used to the big old world as time goes by.)

If she's up to date on her shots, start taking her lots of places and make them positive experiences. Give her time to look around and see what's what. She'll be much calmer after a while and a much more confident dog in the long run.

Do be aware, though, that a "scare period" is coming up. At about 4 months, they go through this period when if something scares them, they tend to remember it as scary. Try to stay as positive as possible and patient with her. Think it sounds like you're on the right track with that darling girl.

Chris
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials

Sasha is too cute!! What breed is she, do you know? Just love her!

I agree with the advice given above. Patience, she'll get used to it. It's a big scary world out there for this little puppy to get used to. Like ktreva52 said, there is a period of time when if they get really scared of something, they'll remember it for the rest of their lives. Positive experiences at this age is very important!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

dab_20 : She is an American Bulldog

Thanks for all the tips guys! She's already getting better!
    Say hi to Sasha!

I had the same problem with my Rottie when I first got him. We hooked the leash on his collar for him to wear inside to get used to the feel of it. After that we walked him around inside so he could feel me holding the other end and know what it was like. Once I did that he did fine. It was just the leash scaring him. That might be your problem.