Thread: biting and snarling on getting up in the morning

biting and snarling on getting up in the morning

Please give me some advice: my 5 month old chihuaha, female, mostly adorable and sweet, well trained has a problem that i need to correct. She likes to sleep late, which is OK, but at some point i need to get her up, she does not like to be disturbed if still in bed, and will bite and snarl which has made me afraid in the morning to get her to take her out. Once she is up and in my arms she is all kissy, but the getting up is a problem, and i really dont like this behavior. especially since sometime she does this with sitters as well.

Cranky dog

Hey, Greentea, welcome to Pet Talk! Sounds like someone is NOT a morning doggie. Does she not respond if you call her name when you go to wake her? Where is she sleeping that you have to get her? If not in a crate, I'd start crate training her. If she's in a crate, it may be that she's "defending" her room. But, I agree, it needs to stop.

Have you tried tempting her with a little treat to come out of the bed and go outside? Lots of praise when she does? Does she have any other times when she's bitey like that, especially when you pick her up? If yes, you might want to have her checked for sores and bone problems. Could be pain.

If the treats don't do the job, try using a very growly noooooooooo and just hold her and be still until she stops. No ouching, no other talk or movement until she stops doing it. In fact, you might turn your head away and "ignore" her. In the wild, that is one of the first responses to "ridiculous" behavior--ignoring it until it stops, then, positive reinforcement for the good behavior.

Keep us posted as to how she's doing. That is not good behavior even if one is sleepy!

Christi
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials

thanks

thank you for the advise. she is crate trained but we have her at night in her "burrow" bed at the foot of our bed, which i realize now is not a good idea. i will try the treat approach, and she does respond to her name and the treat, and i will try to crate train her for nightime, she likes the crate during the day when i have to leave her for a bit, thanks, and i will try what you advise.

You're welcome and I hope it helps

I don't generally let my dogs sleep "out" until they are at least a year old. Even the little dogs, who mature sooner than the big ones. The two I have now don't even get to sleep out unless I'm taking a short nap. There are too many things they're interested in getting into. lol

Lots of praise when she's doing well. Consistency is the other key to making sure she's feeling "secure." I know people will think I'm nuts to talk like that, but dogs need the "security" of routine and knowing the rules.

When you can, I'd start her in obedience classes. Somewhere that uses positive reinforcement. That helps set you as the "alpha" and maker of the rules. Have the other members of your family and even your pet-sitter attend on occasion (if not every lesson) and work with her with you there. Everyone needs to use the same commands to mean the same thing, and be consistent in one command for everything.

She's likely a clever girl and will figure it all out pretty quickly, I'll bet and life will be much happier for all of you.

Keep us posted,
    Christi
    Dog Potentials

When you put her in the crate at night leave a leash on her... In the morning if she doesn't come out, force her.
    This behaviour has to stop, because alot of small dogs will become crate aggressive.. If the leash thing doesn't help you.. Your gunna have to go in and grab her, shes a puppy, show her that your the alpha. Help her understand that when you want her out, shes comin out.. Period.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Dogs absolutely cherish their sleep. Alot of dogs will be grumpy if you wake them from a nice sleep. Great advice everyone!

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Hmmm, I don't think I'd put a leash on her in the crate for a couple of reasons. 1) She might chew it, which leaves you short a leash, or, 2) She might get tangled up in it and choke herself to death, or hurt herself badly.

I agree it's not good behavior to be a grumpy-gus in the morning. Never had that problem with any of my dogs and I've had small dogs for a long time. But, forcing the behavior only causes resistance and worsens the problem. It needs to become "fun" for her to get up of a morning. A favorite toy, even a treat to get up and loving when she's good.

What you might do, if you can take the time to do it, is open the crate door and go on about your business. If she comes out, greet her happily and praise her. Then, take her out to potty. If she doesn't come out after about 15 minutes, shut the crate door until she "gets up." Then, open the door and praise her like she's the most wonderful dog ever. Yes, that will seem to "cater" to her crankiness, but we want her to start WANTING to come out and be praised.

As long as she's in perfect health, the praise when she responds and "ignoring" when she doesn't is likely the most effective method of getting her to enjoy waking up and being with you.

Chris
    Dog Potentials

When I was growing up, we had a dog lose his hearing when he got old, and would snarl if you startled him awake with touching, etc. Does your baby respond to other verbal cues?