Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of treats do you give your dog?

She is just adorable..that face! it's hard to teach them at that age..it's like kids..their attention span isn't that great. just have patience and keep doing it..but, do it at like 15 min. intervals. good luck with her.

Make sure the treats you get for your puppy are soft and/or squishy. Squishy ones make the best. Most/some dogs (most of the dogs I've met...) do not like baby carrots, but do try them. Liver treats are good for puppies, they're squishy and soft, perfect for puppies. Look for treats esspecialy designed for puppies, they work well for puppies

Firstly a BIG kiss for that beautiful little face

I buy Tobey meaty strips (Smackos?) and just pull off tiny bits at a time as rewards. The bags tend to last a long time so maybe training tips aren't my strong point!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Welcome to Pet Talk! Your little girl is adorable.

I'm not a big fan of soft treats, they have a lot of salt and sugar in them. For training sessions I often use these Nutro treats, they are soft but better than most I've found. I cut them into small pieces. I prefer using small pieces of boiled chicken instead of soft treats.

As treats my dogs like these Newman's Own organic dog treats. I don't use those during training sessions though, they are too big and hard to use in training. I do make them work for everything they get regardless or wether or not we are in a training session.

My dogs also love baby carrots, apples, bananas, and other fruits and vegetables. (Just be sure not to give her grapes or raisins, they are toxic to dogs.)
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I buy dried liver treats and I make a big jar of salmon treats every Sunday night. I use them for training, and i put some in their Kongs every morning. The recipe is for 3 dogs. Store in fridge for a week, or freeze and use as needed:

3 cans of salmon, plus the water in the can (I buy cheap salmon)
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp. of garlic powder
    1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese---if you want
    Add about 1 1/2 c. of flour, or enough to make the dough the consistency of brownie mix. Spread on greased cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. When cool, cut into small cubes with pizza cutter.

So for about $4, I have healthy treats for 3 dogs--2 standard poodles and a mini poodle--for a week!

Welcome to Pet Talk, Jon83, and darling Sasha! I'm sure that Sasha is going to grow into as very big, beautiful young lady! Sorry I have no treat/food advice... but everyone's replies will do you nothing but good. Good luck in training lil' Sasha1

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)