Thread: The Great Escape

The Great Escape

Well, it happened again. I fumbled the clasp on her harness, and Bonnie escaped. She just backed out of it because it wasn't on right.

Do you know that moment when they realize they are free? It seems like an eternity...they look at you in amazement to see if it's true and then whoosh, they're gone!

Bon is fascinated with freedom and revels in her escapes. The neighbors must all think I beat her because she runs away from me, and simply WILL NOT come. We practice "come" every day, and she will do it perfectly on her long line in the back yard--she'll come racing to me and sit--but that's not the same thing as true FREEDOM!!!

ADOLESCENT DOG!
    DISOBEDIENT DOG!
    BRAT DOG!

Of course, she will go to any neighbor who is out, and in fact several have been nice enough to get her collar when she does, but I know they think I must be terribly mean to her.

Well, this time she lead us a "catch me if you can" game all over the neighborhood, while I followed with her favorite toy and a half a pound of cheese to entice her. No way.

THAT DOG'S GONNA GET HIT BY A CAR
    SHE'S GONNA JUMP UP ON A NEIGHBORHOOD KID AND SCARE THEM TO DEATH.
    SHE'S NEVER GOING TO COME BACK

Finally, my husband got out the bike; then she chased him home. She was just standing by the edge of the yard, and I walked up closer to her and said "sit"....

AND SHE DID!!!!!

Then I took a step closer and put my finger under her collar and she didn't even jump away!

SWEET DOG!
    WONDERFUL DOG!
    GOOD DOG!
    OBEDIENT DOG!
    LOVE THAT DOG!

See, she IS learning something!
    Maybe, in a couple years, she'll really COME.
    Deb & Dave

"Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog."--Robery Morley

I know those feelings!!! Cincy loves to run from me! They do learn though!

This happened to me once when Bella was a little puppy. I was walking out the front door and she darted out. She immediately started running in big circles on the front lawn and I knew I would never catch her. Just before my panic went over the top I got an idea. When we are in the back yard and I want to go in, I say "Bella it's time to go in" and she usually follows me inside. I stood on my front lawn and said the same thing and, as I stood there thinking "yeah right, she'll never fall for this," she walked right back in the house!! That was truly a miracle! Fortunately now she doesn't even think about running out front. I think she realizes that trips out the front door have the possibility of her winding up at the vet's or groomer's! LOL!

Oh Deb, how scared you must have been! These dogs can sometimes give you the scare of your life. Sounds like Bonnie is REALLY learning a thing or two! Keep up the good work Bon!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

That is scary, the awful feeling that a car might catch your dog before you do. Going into a play stance and initiating a chase has always worked for me. Instead of me chasing the dog I make her want to chase me. All she really wants to do is play, she enjoys freedom, but she never wants to get far from her pack and curiosity gets the best of her when she sees her pack leader running away from her!

Bonnie, you stop scaring your mom like that, you hear!!!!
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Re: The Great Escape

sadie does that too!
    i get so mad

*becca and sadie*

One thing I have learned is NOT to ever trust!! Lilly loves to walk outside in the front yard with me, but let someone walk by, especially another dog, and it takes lots of "acccckkkk"that little sound I make to get her to listen. Last week at the lake at Furman, my Lilly wasn't stopping for anything! She flew out of the back of the car before I could get her leash on and she was in the water, chasing ducks before I could do anything!! I'm sure all the bystanders got a good chuckle out of it! I could just see her swimming to the middle of the lake......what would I have done then?? LOL!! I need to remember to always have treats for Lilly!

So glad you got your baby back! I know that mad then glad feeling very well!!!

Next time try this trick! Instead of chasing her and making it a game of keep away, get her attention and start running in the opposite direction. Her curiosity should get the best of her and she will follow you! This works for me.

I also play train the dogs with a game of find me! I run and hide real fast and then they have to FIND me. So when they are outside I can run opposite from them and yell FIND ME. The real trick is to get them to come and they don't even know they are. It's more of a game than a come!

Drake never leaves the yard, but when we are out on the trails and he goes down a path I don't want him to go down, he will never come to me. But when I say Bye Draker. Mom's Going! And start heading in the opposite dirction, he follows me!