Thread: Telephone

Telephone

Has anyone noticed that more and more when you call someplace, someone answers the phone and are talking so fast that you can not understand a word they are saying? It goes like "Hello!bsalhfda;jkvbdalufoi';vh;avnoi;v;skj"..
    I find this is happening to me a lot lately... call the doctors and get that, call the phone company and get that... My response is "Huh?" and they do it again "jkdshv;jhpdmdifjfofnj;vid'n!".. I just had to tell a girl "I didn't understand one word of what you just said, could you please slow down?" I have told them, "Look honey, I am from the SOUTH and down here we talk slow and listen slow, so could you slow down to MY speed?". Anybody else running into that?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

LOL! Some of my friends do that. It's so annoying.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Laura ~ It happens here all the time. I especially hate it when people leave message on the answering machine and rattle off their phone number so quickly that you have to listen to it 3 times to get all the numbers. If you want me to call you back, SLOW DOWN. You know your phone number by heart, but I don't.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I've never had that problem.

It's usually me talking that fast.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Did you ever talk to a very annoyed older lady that told you "Look Honey, I live in the south and you have to talk slower for me to understand you?" LOL! Was that YOU I talked to tonight?!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
    It's usually me talking that fast.
    Me too! I don't know why I do it, but I catch myself sometimes and try to slow down. That doesn't always last though. I usually talk fast when I'm nervous - in high school and college anytime I had to do a presentation in front of a class a ten minute speech at home turned into 3.5 minutes

I work in Customer/Membership Services and it AMAZES me how some people that supposedly use the phone every day at their jobs are so incredibly stupid about their phone manners, or lack thereof

I am from Florida, born and raised and sometimes I feel I am talking too fast. I live in the South but sometimes I think Florida is in a category all it's own with the amount of people that move here from all over. My parents were from the North. Maybe that's why I talk so fast, hearing them.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Kuhio- I have that same problem!! I want to leave a voice message that says, "please speak slowly, clearly and into the mouthpiece IF you want your call returned". I have had many people (clients!!) call and say, "Hi, Johanna, this is so and so, call me back, thanks". NO PHONE NUMBER!

Ack. Speak slowly, and clearly!

I'm guilty. I talk fast too.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Talking fast is less of a problem for me than the automated answering machines that have 8 or 9 choices---none of which are what I want.

13. I do much of my work over the phone and get so frustrated by both...."thank you for calling asldjfldjlkjldsjldj." I know it become very rote to answer a phone but what good does it do if the caller cannot understand?

And "call me" with no phone number or so fast I need to replay over and over getting one number at a time.

When I leave a message I say my name at the beginning and my number (with area code) twice and my name again at the end.

I also find amazing how many people rely on auto callback. I use one phone for outgoing calls and another for incoming. When an applicant replies on my outgoing line I know they didn't listen carefully to the message.

Quote Originally Posted by mruffruff
    Talking fast is less of a problem for me than the automated answering machines that have 8 or 9 choices---none of which are what I want.
    I hate that too!! At least, sometimes you're lucky enough to be able to get back to the switchboard girl.

Some english speaking sales person rang a few weeks ago and talked really fast - I said "#&ck off" and hung up.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.