Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adopting a bassador puppy

adopting a bassador puppy

Hey you bassador owners! I'm thinking of adopting a basset/black lab mix.
    I love lab mutts and have one now and have had several in the past, but am weary of some of the basset hounds characteristics ---- particularly wandering off. I live a very active outdoor (unleashed) lifestyle and this could pose a problem for me and my new dog. Also have lots of wild critters cruising my property begging to be chased. Have any of you had this problem with this mixed breed? Or any other issues for that matter. Are they affectionate? gentle? health issues? I'd love anything you could share.
    Thks

Are you adopting a mix from the shelter or is this dog coming from a breeder?

By what you described about your lifestyle & the like it seems as if a basset may not be the best choice. But a mix could be.

Have you seen the puppy? How old is it?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Bassador thats a new one . Obedience is essential for any dog so that would be a start. But then having a scent hound x retriever instinct to hunt and explore could be too much for an offlead area, then again the dog could be fine... being a mutt you dont know what you are getting .

Also if the pup is coming from a rescue the foster carers/ shelter staff should be able to help you with any Qs you have.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Please tell me that this is not a mix done on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    Are you adopting a mix from the shelter or is this dog coming from a breeder?

By what you described about your lifestyle & the like it seems as if a basset may not be the best choice. But a mix could be.

Have you seen the puppy? How old is it?
    He is a mix of lab and basset, and is available @ the local animal shelter. I haven't visited him yet (on purpose -- don't want to let emotion get in the way!), but will see him today. I understand the obedience thing, but "having a scent hound x retriever instinct to hunt and explore could be too much for an offlead area" is exactly what I am concerned about. Obviously some mutts are harder/or impossible to get trained to an acceptable level.

Whew, glad to hear that you are looking at this pup from a shelter, not a breeder. I can't give much advice as I don't know enough of Bassett characteristics - but I would love to see a picture. Let us know how the visit goes!

Quote Originally Posted by k muench
    He is a mix of lab and basset, and is available @ the local animal shelter. I haven't visited him yet (on purpose -- don't want to let emotion get in the way!), but will see him today. I understand the obedience thing, but "having a scent hound x retriever instinct to hunt and explore could be too much for an offlead area" is exactly what I am concerned about. Obviously some mutts are harder/or impossible to get trained to an acceptable level.
    I'd say go & see him. Some shelters don't know the exact parentage & sometiems are wrong about the breeds that he may be mixed with. You never know.

I am so glad to hear that this is not a "new designer breed" bred on purpose. Gosh those breeders make me so mad.

Good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I think he'll be more independent, but not to worry. Hounds are smart, but not obedient. They are bred to find game and wait for the hunter or bring it to the hunter, they are sent off to work on their own. Only a smart dog can do that. They work with people, but not next to them. I think what you have to worry about is keeping the weight off, a labradors ability to put on weight mixed with a bassets short legs could be an issue.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Basset/beagle Experience

The Basset Hound is one of the nicest, laziest dogs I've ever known. Growing up, we always had Beagles as my father was a hunter. We also knew other families who had Beagles and an occasional Basset. The wandering and running off, I believe stems not only from their inbred instinct, but more from the fact that many Basset/hunting dog owners tend to keep their dogs outside and really, only let them out of their cages when it's time to go hunt. No small wonder that when they get loose, they are off and on the chase.

I have a Beagle now. She was from the beginning a housedog and a pet, She learned to obey and do tricks before she learned anything else. She even comes to work with (as she is my constant companion). The lounge next door where I often eat lunch has adopted her and willingly invites her in to join me, and the patrons give her treats and have her perform for them. Ironically, since these dogs do love to hunt (I myself do not hunt), I did train her for the field as well. My father who is an avid hunter said she "would never hunt" - because of the indoor socialization and her pet nature. This is an opinion shared by many old time die hard hunters. But to his amazement, not only is she a fantastic hunter, she is probably the best behaved and willing listener of any dog he's ever seen in the field (the real consequence of her early socialization and training).

To make my point. Yes, these breeds do want to hunt and are very happy when on the chase. But treating them like any other breed with early training will allow them to bond with you and become more than just a working/sport dog. My dog is rarely on her leash. And she attends all my children's sporting events outside and in big fields. She stays by my side. She even comes to family events likes picnics and such - and again stays with the crowd.

Now I don't want to paint too rosy of a picture. If left alone and ignored, she will entertain herself which invariably leads to smelling around - which invariably leads to her wandering off. Suffice to say, that I have never known a Basset or Beagle who could simply be let off their leash and left to their own devices all day who wouldn't eventually decide to go exploring!

Dan

Invisible Fence

I own two rescued labs and installed "Invisible Fence" this summer to keep them on my property. They have 3 out of our 10 acres enclosed and it gives them plenty of roaming room. It wasn't all that expensive compared to the numberous trips I had to make heach day to bring them back and it was a lot cheaper than traditional fencing. I highly recommend it and the only draw back is that it doesn't keep other dogs out. Luckily we're isolated and that hasn't become a problem. Good luck to you with your upcoming adoption.

We have bassets, and they are sweethearts of dogs. They are the most laid-back dogs I've ever had. They are very low-energy. Sometimes we joke that they are cats in dog bodies because they nap so much. Labs, in general, are more energetic, so that could make a difference in personality. I will say that bassets do have a tendency to wander if they are not in a confined area. They tend to follow their noses.

Here is a link to a basset forum, and there were (and probably still are--I just don't frequent that site much anymore) several "bassador" owners there who may be able to give you some good ideas:

http://www.basset.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Hope this helps!

Before getting the expense of the invisible fence check with thee salesmen some breeds (and indiviual dogs) totally ignore the zaps . Had a freind whos boxer walked right through it all the time. If salesman denies that fact walk away from him fast. Just remeber too a houd bays not bark . Had neighbors with 2 bluetick hounds They never taght them to be quiet . it was horrible living next to them.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Quote Originally Posted by Corinna
    Just remeber too a houd bays not bark . Had neighbors with 2 bluetick hounds They never taght them to be quiet . it was horrible living next to them.
    That depends on the dog. Our boys do have the loud baying bark, but they really aren't barkers, thankfully. The only things that really make them bark are stray dogs and squirrels. Our neighbor's beagle also has that deep hound bark, and he is definitely a barker.

Basset/Lab Mix

I just go a brand new bassador...basset lab mix and she is the most amazing puppy she is quiet when you are sitting and watching tv and loves to run around outside. I haven't had an issue with her taking off anywhere because she sticks by my feet. she is the cutest little darling.

Here is the link to her page...

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/780487

I would suggest this breeding to almost anyone Cola, my puppy, seems to have a good mix of behaviours from both breeds!

But being a x breed all pups will/ can be totally different .