Thread: Questions about Filou

Questions about Filou

You know that my little boy has kidney failure. His levels however are only deteriorating slowly. His urea level is more or less constant, his crea unfortunately is rising - the ratio between crea and urea is more of an indicator than the absolute level of both.

However he is happy and behaves healthy and hasn't lost weight- he loves his Royal Canin Renal diet. He gets his weekly fluids and behaves not too bad at the vet's. The vet and we agree however that we couldn't do it ourselves as Filou needs 3 people to control him with the fluids (he weighs 7,5 lb )

Now we have an additional problem. Filou always has produced tartar and needed tooth cleaning every 1,5 years. The last time was a year ago and the tartar is building again. His gums are not red yet but it's only a matter of time. Now the vet is reluctant to clean his teeth under anesthesy as the meds needed for that leave the body via the kidneys and she is afraid they would harm the kidneys even more. But trying to clean his teeth while he is awake and kicking may need more than 3 people.

I am so worried. Does anyone have experience?

Wow, that is a tough choice. I have no experience to tell you about. But I think the key is to weigh out the necesity of tooth cleaning over the danger of anesthesia. I sure wish I could be of some help.

Filou is so lucky to have a mom that is as caring as you!!! We have a kidney kitty that probably had her teeth cleaned for the last time, because she, like your boy, would not survive the anesthesia. I wonder if the struggle would be worth upseting Filou(and you, too). Would he let you rub his gums with a cotten ball soak in chicken broth?? I am a bit jealous that he gets fluids only weekly!! I give the girls fluids three times a week!!! And Molly, like your boy, loves the renal diet from Royal Canin!! GOOD LUCK!
    Nine is Fine!!

Oh gosh, Barbara, Tubby's teeth were always good so I never had to deal with anything like this! Like Jen says, you'd have to weigh the "costs" and benefits of each before making a decision. Are his teeth really really really bad where it's almost an absolute necessity to get them cleaned? On the other hand, will the anesthesia do severe irreparable damage to his kidneys? All I do know is that from the day I found out Tubby's kidneys were failing, he got 1/4 of a Pepcid (antacid) a day, then he got a UTI so he got antibiotics for 10 days and towards the end he got potassium pills. All of these had to be filtered through the kidneys, possibly damaging them more, but the benefits far outweighed the costs for all of them.

I don't have any advice about cleaning his teeth yourself while he's awake because that is also something I've never done. Too bad he's not like a dog where you can give him a chew toy to clean his teeth.

The only thing I can think of is to wait and see how things go before getting too worried. Hopefully Filou will continue to do well and you'll have to deal with this in about 6 months time.

{{{hugs}}}
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Barbara, I'm glad to hear that Filou is doing reasonable well, hopefully he'll have many good years left with you.

I'm afraid I haven't got any good advice on teethcleaning - Fister could do with one too. His gums are getting a bit red again, so I'll go and get the antibiotics he has had a few times before - don't remember the name of them, but will find out. Perhaps this could be an option for Filou too, to avoid the sedation.

Give Filou - and also Tigris some kisses and scritchies from me, and headbumpies from Fister.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I agree with Jen Luck. Ya gotta weigh the tartar problem over the dangers of anesthesia.

I'm lucky I can clip my cats nails let alone brush their teeth!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Teeth cleaning is important, to be sure, but the risks of anesthesia, esp. w/a cat in renal failure, makes me nervous. How good for you both that he gets fluids weekly. My Puddy has been back on every other day for some time now and, if I see her looking scruffy, a sure sign that she's not feeling well, she goes back to weekly. More fluids always seem to perk her up and her creatinine levels lower as well. Just a though there....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help w/the teeth cleaning issue. But when a cat is so sick, I have to weigh the odds and that's prob. how you feel, too, or you wouldn't have posted the issue.

Blessings,
    Mary

I meant to say

that Puddy goes back to daily (not weekly) subQ fluids if she's looking scruffy, which helps to lower her creatinine levels. Sorry.

Blessings,
    Mary

What about Feline Greenies? Is Filou allowed something like that? It might cut down on the need for cleaning. www.greenies.com

We used a cat-only clinic in Chicago. Because of the problems with anesthesia, they used ....I'll describe this as best I can....a very large fish tank into which they blew gas. Somewhat like the laughing gas dentist use. Far less anesthesia was used this way.