Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs who lean

Very many of your dogs are however displaying dominance by leaning. It feels pleasant and yet the dog is getting reassurance on demand and preventing you from doing what you want to do, so who is controlling that situation? A dog that is showing dominance in this way may not be dominant in any other situation, but if any of you have dominance issues it may be food for thought.>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Carrie I have a question for you.
    When I am sitting on the lawn and my dogs are role playing, there is always
    one of them trying to lean on me.
    I always thought, that the dog who was leaning on me was a sign of strength
    (confidence)
    Like 2 against one?
    The only other time I think they lean
    is when there are strangers around/
    or fireworks.
    So I thought I was more of a security
    in this case?

Hi again,
    Certainly, when your dog is feeling insecure and unsure of what action to take then his natural instinct is to look to the pack leader for direction. When a stranger enters your area your dog is checking out what he should do by what you do and gaining security and reassurance by the contact.
    Excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard the term "role playing" applied to dogs before. Could you help me out a bit and explain it for me?

Excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard the term "role playing" applied to dogs before. Could you help me out a bit and explain it for me?>>>>>>>

Sorry Carrie, I should have explained it.
    My male and female Akitas are constantly testing eachother when they play. (sort of role playing like wolves do in the wild)
    They are very primitive in
    there thinking/behavior.
    When they are playing almost every move they
    make means something to them.
    I just wished I new how to read all that
    body language like some of my friends do.

Excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard the term "role playing" applied to dogs before. Could you help me out a bit and explain it for me?>>>>>>>

Sorry Carrie, I should have explained it.
    My male and female Akitas are constantly testing eachother when they play. (sort of role playing like wolves do in the wild)
    They are very primitive in
    there thinking/behavior.
    When they are playing almost every move they
    make means something to them.
    I just wished I new how to read all that
    body language like some of my friends do.

Hi again,
    O.k. without actually being able to see the dogs playing it is very hard to give you a definite answer but I would guess that you are right. It sounds like the dog leaning on you is ensuring it's own safety in the game knowing that the pack leader will not allow things to get out of hand. So essentially using you as safegaurd.

I love to be leaned on. It makes me feel loved. My dog Sporty does it all the time. He always looks up at me with the beautiful eyes while doing it.

I've just read through this lot and I make myself so mad sometimes. I don't express myself very well so I am here to eat humble pie and apologise to you all.
    Leaning is not always a dominant behaviour as it looks like I was suggesting before.
    Touch is very important for dogs, that's why they like being stroked. In the wild pack touching helps to strengthen bonds and the pack will often sleep curled up together, not just for warmth but for comfort and security too. Dogs have retained the need for physical contact as a pleasure and a way of communication. Sorry again for being so dim.

I agree with Carrie on this one. I believe leaning is a sign of control and dominance, not necessarily aggression. The first time I noticed my black shepherd leaning was at dog obedience. It especially happens when he does not want to obey a command. I will tell him "sit", and finally he will but will lean on my legs as he sits. In this context it is a sure sign of dominance as I can tell he didnt want to listen to me but did reluctantly. Now that it is confirmed that leaning may mean dominance I will alter that behaviour. I found this leaning behaviour strange and now it makes sense.

When Heidi is being petting and she really loves it, and when a stranger is petting her she will lean on them. But that is basically the only time she will lean is when she is getting petted. My aunt said that its breed specific, like GSPs do it, but she thinks she knows everything.

All of my Rottweilers have done it Echo LOVES to lean on people

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I have two that lean and two that don't. My guys, though, don't just lean for the sake of leaning. Generally, it starts as me petting them and they lean into it. One of the leaners is very insecure during storms, fireworks, etc, and will stand next to me in all his quivering glory during one of those events. On occasions, he leans then, too.

I can see where it could be viewed as dominant behavior, but I don't feel it applies in our circumstances.
    Becki

LucyBelle will come over and back up until she is seated inbetween my legs when I am in a chair and lean against me that way ,, We call it PARKIN IT.. she will do it on command too,,,

Merlin just leans in until he gets my attention,, usually within a few secos... doesnt take long... I tend to lavish attention on my babies!!

Lady doesn't lean much, she just sits on my fot when she knows I have to go somewhere adn she can't come. It's her saying "Awww, come on, dad do ya have ta?"

Yes! Sadie is a big leaner! So is tred, (RB) Na neighbor doggy, yellow labby, who was even a bigger leaner than my girl.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

My flatcoat retriever leans. I have also read that New Foundlands like to lean. I think it maybe a gundog trait.

Josh is definately not a dominant dog. We call him the moral standards dog. The type of dog who will sit outside in front of an open door and wait to be called in.

http://www.dogtrick.741.com