Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs who lean

I have an 85 pound golden retriever who thinks if he can't get your attention by leaning he will come up from behind you and cross in and out between your legs. And when you put him in the motor home he thinks he is suppose to sit on my lap on the front seat. I think it is an attention getter. But what a great thing to give your attention to.

My family has a springer who loves to lean. It doesn't matter whether you're standing or sitting-he just wants to get as close to you as he can!!!My own dog, an English staff. bull terrier, also leans but only when someone is already petting her. My boyfriend's dog, a shepher/rottie/hound mix, leans to get you to pay attention to her. I don't think the behavior is breed specific-just specific to particularly "love-y" dogs.

I have a labx that leans on me so much that when I walk away he falls over. I halfheartedly try to discourage him but I like the way he leans when standing or sitting next to me, looking up at my face with a goofy smile

Lord Yes, my dog loves to lean and lay on my ALL the time, and I'm not kidding, he is either leaning on me or laying on me no matter where i am at. In the bathroom, in the shower, on the couch, in bed, and the worst, in the car. It would be ok if he was a small dog, but he is a boxer-great dane mix.
    Taffanie

Originally posted by daisydog3:
    My family has a springer who loves to lean. It doesn't matter whether you're standing or sitting-he just wants to get as close to you as he can!!!My own dog, an English staff. bull terrier, also leans but only when someone is already petting her. My boyfriend's dog, a shepher/rottie/hound mix, leans to get you to pay attention to her. I don't think the behavior is breed specific-just specific to particularly "love-y" dogs.
    My rottie leans also, mostly as an attention-getting strategy and because she's a huge suck. However I was also told that the leaning and pushing behaviour is partly instinctual in certain dogs who were bred for herding animals. I've noticed that my friend's Gordon setter gets nervous if people are too far apart (i.e. in different rooms of the house) and will try to "lean" on them to get them to move closer together.

My Australian Cattledog loves to lean on me! He will run up to me and lean on me. When I start petting him he will slowly slump or slide down my leg, roll on his back and plead for a belly rub. He loves his belly rubs.

Rachel

Whew! Now I know that Cody isn't as weird as I thought! He will greet visitors for a pet and then IMMEDIATELY run back over to me, rub against my leg, look up at me as if to ask "is it ok that someone else petted me? I still love you!". I just think it's adorable , not an act of dominance, but if that's the case, I'm not going to enjoy it as much with that in mind, but will be disappointed if he stops!

I have two Doberman's that lean when you pet them. The female is worse than the male, but they are both love bugs!! People haven't really minded, or at least they aren't saying anything. I think it's just their nature to get "more" attention.

We have an Akita who leans occasionally, and also when we are sitting down she will turn her back to us and then sit on our feet! When her "daddy" (my husband) or I return home, Roxi sits on her haunches and lifts both paws up, waving them in the air at us and against us - to get some lovin', of course! Any time we have guests or strangers at the house, she always positions herself between the family and the "intruder" at all times, which a lot of dogs do, probably!

Both my former pomeranian and my new one lean on me all the time. Rocky used to do that immediately when I came home from work. Sunshine does this all the time, when I'm in the kitchen cooking, she leans against my legs and also in the mornings, while drying my hair, she comes in, brings a toy and lies down behind me, leaning against the back of my legs. When sitting next to me on the couch, she leans right up against my arm, sometimes, putting her head on my shoulder.

------------------
    Alice

Tobi, my year and 1/2 cocker spaniel leans when she rides on my lap in the car. She'll throw her head back into my neck area and it seems to be all about affection. It's like she is so happy to be riding around. It's sweet.

My GSD, Shiloh, will sit at my feet, put her head on my knee and stare up (adoringly?) at me. She's not a leaner, though, because she can't lean with her tail wagging wildly!
    Su

Hello,
    A couple of points some of you may be interested in;
    Leaning can be a breed related trait. Great Danes, for instance, were bred as hunting dogs of large, bulky prey such as wild boar. These pigs were dangerous to hunt as they would often turn and fight. Great Danes, natural leaners were bred to intensify this trait and would bring down the boar by leaning against them at full speed.
    Secondly some of you seem to think any mention of dominant behaviour means aggression, this most definitley is not the case. In very few cases is aggression linked with dominance. Very many of your dogs are however displaying dominance by leaning. It feels pleasant and yet the dog is getting reassurance on demand and preventing you from doing what you want to do, so who is controlling that situation? A dog that is showing dominance in this way may not be dominant in any other situation, but if any of you have dominance issues it may be food for thought

Carrie,
    Your explanation of leaning as a dominant behavior was excellent. I completely agree with you. I have 3 dobes, 2 lean. The oldest is 12 and I let her lean all her life as I thought she was "insecure", now that I know I still let her lean she is old and the kindest dog in the world. The second dog is a middle aged dobe who I recently aquired. I discourage his leaning and make him sit for attention. My youngest dobe 7 months is a nudger not a leaner. This we are working at discouraging too.
    Kudos for your excellent definition of dominance.
    Cheers,
    Shannon

Hi,
    Thanks that's very kind of you.
    I know what a pain a nudger can be - cute for about five seconds! A friend of mine has an Irish Setter who constantly seeks attention this way at home. She loves the dogs behaviour and so I have stopped visiting them at home and only go out for walks with now as it drives me insane!!