Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs who lean

Dogs who lean

Does your dog lean on you to show affection? The dogs my husband had growing up never did, but all of my family's dogs did! Do you think it's breed specific, or did my family just have peculiar dogs?

My dog will lean on us if we are sitting on the couch, sometimes even resting her head on us and looking up at us. She's too small to do it when we're standing. But, I used to babysit for a family who's Doberman would lean on you.

My younger Lab, a 75lb. female will lean against any part of me that she can. She has fallen asleep in this position a few times. Her favorite, though, is "lap dog". Luckily she jumps in my lap only with her front paws, and leaves her back paws on the floor. She will then lean against me with her head and upper body until I hug and cuddle her!

------------------

my dogs are to small to lean, however when im on the couch therre leaning on me or on my lap

------------------
    sylvia alexander

Originally posted by Karen:
    Does your dog lean on you to show affection? The dogs my husband had growing up never did, but all of my family's dogs did! Do you think it's breed specific, or did my family just have peculiar dogs?
    Yes! My dog leans on me every chance she gets. She's not a kissey kind of dog so I suppose this is how she tells me that she loves me.

Oh God, yes...Galen is 70 pounds of leaner! He seems to think you want his face in yours, and if you're sitting on the futon, you are fair game!

My "laprador" is always ready to lean on
    me, he is forever on my lap on the couch,
    all 100 pounds of him! But I wouldn't have it
    any other way.

Syren (R.I.P) was a 'laprador' I love that word now that's for using it and at 95+ lbs thought he was a lap dog to my husband, and would lean every chance he got. Now the Bassets mainly Iggy will lean on my husband and Branda the female does it to me but mainly when I have food around only.

------------------
    Please Help Me To Be Half The Human My Kritters Think I Am!

My late great Great Dane "Biggie" was a leaner-and this is apparently common to danes, it's something they need to be taught not to do if in a home with little kids or old folks, Biggie was a pound rescue and the first time he met my 3 year old neice he pinned her against the wall leaning and drowned her with kisses.

Originally posted by Karen:
    I have had dogs all of my life and never until I acquired two female golden retrievers did I have a "leaner". Those girls just can't get close enough to me. It is usually worse after I have been away. I end up with Honey on one side and Lilly on the other, just pushing against my knees! Glad to know it happens to others too.

I have a lab/cocker spaniel mix and if I am sitting down he has to be in my lap. He is still just a puppy so he is small. When he gets sleepy he loves to be cradled in my arms.

If you talk to an animal behaviorist or read the book, Leader of the Pack, it tells you that leaning is not a sign of affection, but dominance. Depending on the size and temperment of your dog, it may be a behavior to discourage. Even the smallest dogs (Yorkies) can have a very strong desire to be the Alpha Dog. Sherry

The leaners my family had where all large dogs, but not at all aggressive, in fact we used to joke about one of them being a great watch dog - she'd watch the burgulars come in, watch them find the good stuff, then watch them leave! So in their cases, it was definitely affection, not dominance!

I agree with Karen-all of my leaner have been very gentle-submissive types inc my grate dane Biggie and my current rotty/bloodhound mix. At 5 1/2 yrs old I've never heard Tucker even growl. Judy

My 75lb Lab's leaning is not dominance either. She is a big sweetheart, and wouldn't hurt a fly!