Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How do you boil eggs?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    I ate kidneys once (the water filtration system). But it was France so you expect that kind of thing. It wasn't TOO mad. But then the lamb I had ordered arrived. The waitress took the lid off...I expected a nice shoulder or chop and there sat the operational end of the solid waster removal system on my plate. Smelled like it too!

*** and yes...I am familiar with Rocky Mountain Oysters...but have never eaten one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties
    The filling is a bit like a thick stew. Do you know stew?
    Stew???

As in a Stewart?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    So it is chicken pot pie
    Just what I was thinking! Sounds yummy in either chicken or beef versions....as long as there are no kidneys of the water filtration type - ugh! Funny how innards have gone out of vogue here in the colonies.....

My mom used to take lard sandwiches to school for lunch. I thought this was the grossest thing in the world until I went to Germany.....

Of course.....I used to take Miracle Whip sandwiches to school for lunch and some people might think that's gross too.....including me!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Excuse me? What does my godson, Stewart, have to do with boiled eggs? He likes Marmite on his toast though!

Yes, Sara, just like chicken pot pie, but with steak. And yes, I mean the water filtration type of kidneys. Loads of folk don't like the thought of offal. Steak pie on it's own is perfectly acceptable without the kidneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties
    Excuse me? What does my godson, Stewart, have to do with boiled eggs?

You asked it we knew Stew....and for a second there I thought we were headed into a cannibalism thread!

I have no idea how this thread ending up here after starting nicely but yes- the German, French AND Italian cuisine is full of stuff like kidneys, tripes, heads etc.

Regarding all this I would qualify as an American because I never ate it, even at a child. In Paris there used to be butcher shops that had nothing but that stuff (entrailles it's called, that means guts) and I couldn't even go along them as I couldn't stand the smell.

However, being an advocate of cultural relativity: in all poor cultures, meat is not wasted the way we do it only eating ribs and fillets and converting the rest to cat food

I know I'm a little late posting, but I figured you've already gotten your answer.

I put the eggs in cold water in a pan and put it on a medium heat. Once the water starts to boil, I allow 5 minutes then I take them and run them under cold water, to prevent them from still cooking.

STRONG WORD OF ADVICE:

Do NOT fall asleep while boiling eggs. 1. They explode. 2. They a 6itch to clean off the ceiling and walls.

Trust me, I speak from experience!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Donna, you are number 3 now with the experience "How to explode eggs without a microwave!"

Such a funny topic

For days now, I thought this thread was a joke, but hey, you guys really are talking about boiling eggs.

When I get some spare time, I may just read all the posts about egg boiling, and learn something!

Me too Sallyanne. I have only read this page and don't have time to read it all but will later on. Richard's comment about cannibalism had me laughing out loud!

Barbara,

Good! I thought I was the only yutz that did that!! I should start a "How to Make an Egg Explode without a Microwave Club" Anyone care to join??

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Barbara,

Good! I thought I was the only yutz that did that!! I should start a "How to Make an Egg Explode without a Microwave Club" Anyone care to join??
    Too late, Donna, it's already started! You're member #3. Sara (ES) and Karen (KK) are the other members. Anymore members out there?

SAS, Pam and Donna, you really do need to go back and read the entire thread. There is SO much more involved than boiling eggs.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

You can see that it is a very exclusive club with only the most honored members

I will see whether I can make some eggs explode this weekend only to have the fun of joining it

I should be granted "honorary mention membership" for my ability to explode potatoes