Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How do you boil eggs?

I'm glad someone asked about Marmite, I had forgotten I have some in my cupboard - it will keep forever, I think. Wonder how similar it is to Vegemite.

When I England I used to buy some to bring home. One Christmas, I was out shopping with John's sister and I wanted Marmite but couldn't remember the name of it. She had quite a few laughs, me trying to explain what it was.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    You put the eggs in a pot and cover them with water, several inches above the eggs. Start with cold eggs, cold water and start the boil slow to "set" the egg. If they are covered with the water, there is no need to turn them, they will cook. I would boil (on medium) at least 10 minutes.. cut them off and let them sit a few minutes, then pour out the hot water and cover with cold water, dump that and cover with cold water again until the water stays cool.. Peeling immediately helps them to peel easier. (I always add some salt to my water before they start to boil too to help them peel easier)
    That's basically what I do too, except I didn't know about the salt trick.
    Earlier this morning I was looking in my refrigerator and thinking about boiling some eggs. Now I'm definitely going to have to, this thread has me craving them.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

How many pet talkers does it take to boil an egg?

One to post the thread.

Some to read the thread

More to volunteer advice.

A couple to admit to their culinary shortcomings.

The original poster to take advice, boil some eggs, forget about them, remember them later, then peel -do a careful examination of said egg, then proclaim she didn't get any bad advice.

How many PTers does it take to boil an egg?

Who cares when you have this much fun doing it and there are no pots to wash?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

As we speak I am boiling eggs, only I can't remember exactly when I put them on Just before I logged onto PetTalk actually but I have, after all, looked at a few other threads. hmmm, I'll just have to wing it! What I do is wait until I can spin them and they twirl, not wobble. (good trick, and it works!).

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    How many pet talkers does it take to boil an egg?
    I've been waiting for that one!

I'm in the process of using an egg, but for dipping a pork shop in, and then in breadcrums. If I keep sitting here, I'll never have my dinner.

If I told my friends and family that I'm a member of a board where fifty people have posted about how to boil an egg ..... what do you think they'd do!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I was out running errands this morning and got back just before Noon. My stomach was talking to me....I hadn't had breakfast yet. Now, I don't eat many eggs at all because sometimes they do funny things to my insides...will save you the details. Anyway, I remembered this thread so I thought I would give it a try.

Small pot, 2 large eggs, enough tepid water to cover
    About a minute after setting element to high, one of the eggs cracked so I fished him out and replaced with another one.
    Took about 6 min. to come to a boil (I have an electric stove)
    Turned down to low and set timer for 2 1/2 min and turned on the toaster oven for my toast.
    After the timer went off, I drained the water and let eggs sit in pot until my toast was ready..about a minute later.
    So I cracked open the first egg and it was hard. I like it on the soft side so I can dip the toast in the yolk.
    Cracked open the second egg (the one that went in last) and it was perfect.

So next time I'll start the eggs in hotter water so it takes less time to boil and only cook for about 2 min. Then drain and let sit for another minute.

See what you started Debbie???
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

If you want to dip the toast in your yolk you better start with boiling water and put a tiny hole in the egg (there are machines at Williams Sonoma I suppose that do that) and just give it 3-4 minutes.

We never mentioned the question of the white: I think it is yucky if the white is still fluid. Siegmar has no problems with it. Thus in hotels where they have boiled eggs I get one and check it: if the white is still fluid, he has to eat it

BTW Marmite looks like Gimpet paste for cats I wonder whether Gimpet tastes the same

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    How many PTers does it take to boil an egg?

Who cares when you have this much fun doing it and there are no pots to wash?
    Reminds me of lemonade for some reason..... The good news is Mario wasn't involved in this one. Mario and eggs can get quite messy.

You guys are all right - who would have ever thought a simple question would turn into such an entertaining thread, not to mention a craving around the world for boiled eggs! I figured I'd get a few "What kind of idiot are you?" posts, one or two good advice ones and that would be the end of it.

Barbara, have a quite a few glasses of wine, try the Gimpet paste and let us know if it tastes like Marmite. I've never had Marmite so I wouldn't be a good tester - whew!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Barbara, have a quite a few glasses of wine, try the Gimpet paste and let us know if it tastes like Marmite. I've never had Marmite so I wouldn't be a good tester - whew!

Good I didn't read that yesterday. Now it's too early for wine and anyway I have run the test the other way round: F+T never wanted to share their Gimpet with me but they couldn't care less for Marmite

Right after I posted on this thread yesterday I went and boiled some eggs. Later I went to my dad's house, guess what he was doing? Boiling eggs too!
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Hey T&P,

When you post "How do you make a standing rib roast, garlic infused potatoes, green beans and radicchio salad with a lemon vinagrette" we'll know we created a monster!

Funny you mention that Richard, it occured to me over the weekend that somewhere along this thread Debbie, you said you wanted to find out about boiled eggs because you were making chicken salad. Well EXCUSE ME Miss Thing, but there is nothing lame or simple about making good chicken salad, with or without hard boiled eggs I bet you are secretely a whiz in the kitchen and just try to get out of cooking

Quote Originally Posted by lbaker
    I bet you are secretely a whiz in the kitchen and just try to get out of cooking
    My secret is out!!!! Drat, now Terry is going to be expecting gourmet meals from now on.....

Fortunately for me, I'm not kidding. Terry says I'm a good cook. I say I know how to open packages quite well, and boiling water I've got down to a science. Anymore than that...well...let's just say...you're on your own.

Richard, the day I ask about the standing rib roast is the day you can haul me to the loony bin because of right here, right now.....what is a standing rib roast? Rib roast, ok, fine, a cut of meat, probably beef, but why is it standing?

Zippy, can you hand me the number for the pizza place?
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

"Why is it standing?"

Because no one asked it to dance of course

hahahaha, that reminds me of Zippy's joke about Arnold the carrot who was the only vegetable at the prom being unhappy - because he had to take a leek

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    what is a standing rib roast? Rib roast, ok, fine, a cut of meat, probably beef, but why is it standing?

lolol,
    Why does it stand? Hemorrhoids??

Before it's cooked it's tied up so the ribs stick straight up....

Funny what I have learned from Pet Talk!!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.