Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How do you boil eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara
    Not boiling them 12 minutes will also help with the gray/green.

Of course you can eat them next day! Peel them and make egg salad sandwiches
    I totally agree - with both statements.

And btw, you can not really use any of these timings, apart the ones where you time it from when the eggs actually boil, it depends on how many you're boiling - that's why I said one - two eggs in my post.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

"Marmite" Is that like marmalade??

Eggs and marmalade??????? bleugh.............its a lovely yeasty spread
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    How nice to know ....Karen....that I am not the only one who has exploded eggs. Aren't they a pain to scrape off the ceiling?????

Sounds like I may be just one teensy step ahead of you in the kitchen department, Sara.

Not boiling them 12 minutes will also help with the gray/green.
    I was thinking the same thing, Barbara. But I have to wait until tonight to peel them to see how they turned out. Will let you know.

I actually made them because I found a yummy chicken salad sandwich recipe. I never thought of putting eggs in my chicken salad, but it makes it nice and creamy like - yummy!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Marmite is Marmite and everyone in the UK loves it. And Vegemite is Vegemite and everyone in NZ loves it. And no it isn't like marmalade

This is one of the funniest threads in a long time. I don't know what to think of the fact that two of my closest worldwide freinds are in the same small group of egg-exploders

Does a potato exploder count? In my brand new oven, a few years ago, I put in baking potatoes and for some horrible reason I forgot to poke them. Next thing I heard were EXPLODING POTATOES in my new oven

Nightmare! Exploding potatoes??? Oooo, I've never done that! At least the oven must have confined the spray! Much as I hate cleaning the oven, it is probably marginally better than scrubbing the ceiling ... and the walls ... and the windows ... and the doors ...

7. Okay....truth time....I've done the exploding eggs TWICE! The first time I put them on to boil and went to take a shower. On the way to the shower I spied a book I was reading. Sat down to read a bit. Finally went to shower. Wondered about the firecrackers I was hearing....but it was 4th of July weekend so..... Got out of the shower. Read a bit more. Was thirsty. Went to the kitchen for a glass of water.....smoke and egg bits everywhere.

The second time the mess was not so bad.....but the smell was. Since then I do not leave the kitchen area while boiling eggs....

Oh Karen, and Sara.. sorry Debbie - you too ~ I think we will NOT be allowed in Gini's kitchen this summer

9. And I was going to volunteer to bring egg salad!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Quote Originally Posted by lbaker
    Alway finish by running under cold water (the eggs silly, it's too cold out for you to run around under cold water, especially in Chicago) for ease in peeling.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Exploding eggs aren't the worst kitchen disaster. One package of Pop tarts, a US Army Major who shall remain nameless to protect the foolish, and the Fort Drum Fire Department.

Said Major wanted pop tarts after his run. He put the pop tarts into the oven, set the oven on BROIL and went for his run. The Major came back to his barracks to find the FT Drum FD in front of the building with smoke pouring out of the kitchen. It's amazing how much smoke those pop tarts can produce!

We also had someone do something equally stupid with spaghetti, so we weren't letting either one of them near the BBQ grill.

Perfect! If anything, they were actually a little undone. The center of the yolk was not quite as opaque as the rest of the yolk, but I would consider all of your advice excellent since they turned out so well. Oh, and no gray/green at all! I was surprised but since the center wasn't quite completely done, I guess they weren't overcooked at all. Don't know how that could be after 12 minutes.....

I've racked my brains and for the life of me, I can't ever remember exploding anything - what a boring life I've lived.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

OMD....I've had such fun reading through this thread.....who would have thunk that a question about boiling eggs could generate so much response and so much laughter at the same time. Exploding eggs..... Sorry to laugh as I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time.....it's the visual.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

And then there was the time that I was boiling eggs and the eggs didn't explode, but pretty much everything else did.

Somehow the electric stove melted a hole through the bottom of the pan. There was a loud POP, the water drained out, and a fuse blew. Quite the adventure!

How on earth did you manage that one? Were you boiling your eggs in particularly corrosive acid?