Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you boil eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
    [color=purple]at least a few inches over eggs.. don't they float? why has mine..
    Sometimes the end of the shell will "point" up, but the bottom stays down. If they float, the eggs have gone bad - DON'T EAT THEM!
    Also, when the yolks get that discoloration, it's because the eggs are overcooked. (or so I've heard)

Sounds like you have the same "Big Red Betty Crocker Cookbook" as I do!

It's an oldie but goodie - just a good basic cookbook that weighs a good 5 lbs.! But it's got all those simple things in it, like boiling eggs, to complicated stuff I'll never even attempt! You can tell my favorites by the butter & oil stains!

LOL Debbie.

I usually put 1 or 2 eggs in a little pot, and put enough water to cover the eggs. If you put some salt in the water, it prevents the shells from breaking. Turn on the stove and wait for the water to boil. Once the water starts boiling, I set the timer at 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes are up, I take the pot off the stove, pour the water out, and cover the eggs in it for awhile. They're perfect that way...not too soft and not too hard, but just right. If you want the yolk to be hard, boil it for 4 - 5 minutes. I personally don't like boiled eggs if the yolk gets too hard, and I hate it if its too soft, so 3 - 3.5 minutes is good for me.

I must admit that when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was a joke!

I just put them in warm water and when they boil, cook for 6 to 10 minutes, time depends on what they're used for.

WhenI want hard boiled eggs, I put the eggs in the pan of water, turn on the stove, and put the timer on for 22 minutes. I check to see if I need to turn down the heat(have an electric stove). The eggs are perfect....
    Nine is Fine!!

I boil water on the stove, set the eggs, let them boil for a few minutes (probably around five minutes?) then remove them from the heat and set the pan in the kitchen sink and just turn on the cold water and let it run in the pan and over the sides for another minute. Then, I just let them sit for awhile until they're cooled off!

facebook

quoted by cyber-sibes
    Sometimes the end of the shell will "point" up, but the bottom stays down. If they float, the eggs have gone bad - DON'T EAT THEM!

yikes!! really? everytime, everytime I just boil them right after I got them at grocery, they just always float on the sides and points too. at least I haven't died yet!

but anyway, my way - I start with cold water, boil for about 10-15 minutes until I see, what is it called, egg foams? floating up, they're ready for devil eggs!
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

The cooking methods suggested are perfectly sound, the length of time depends on whether you want them totally cooked through or just heated up and not runny. Another hint for totally cooked (for deviled eggs for example) is NOT to use the freshest eggs but any eggs that have been in the fridge for a few days. Some professional cooks suggest letting them sit on the counter for 1/2 to one hour or so. Alway finish by running under cold water (the eggs silly, it's too cold out for you to run around under cold water, especially in Chicago) for ease in peeling.

Quote Originally Posted by popcornbird
    LOL Debbie.

I usually put 1 or 2 eggs in a little pot, and put enough water to cover the eggs. If you put some salt in the water, it prevents the shells from breaking. Turn on the stove and wait for the water to boil. Once the water starts boiling, I set the timer at 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes are up, I take the pot off the stove, pour the water out, and cover the eggs in it for awhile. They're perfect that way...not too soft and not too hard, but just right. If you want the yolk to be hard, boil it for 4 - 5 minutes. I personally don't like boiled eggs if the yolk gets too hard, and I hate it if its too soft, so 3 - 3.5 minutes is good for me.

This is more or less what I do as well except I don't do the last step of covering the eggs. My eggs aren't runny either. Some of you seem to be cooking for an awfully long time. Seems that your eggs might be a bit too *rubbery* for me. I've also used the method of heating to boiling, covering and letting sit for twenty minutes, but that takes a little longer. I always start with the eggs in cold water as opposed to dropping them into boiling water.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Gee, glad I asked!

I had heard so many different stories that I figued I'd better ask to get it right.....

What I did: Cold eggs in cold water. As soon as it started boiling I set the timer for 10 minutes because I wanted them hard boiled. I was upstairs on the computer when the timer went off so they probably were boiling for 12 minutes before I got back to them. Rinsed them in cold water and let them sit on the counter to cool. The bad news is I forgot about them and left them on the counter all night. I'm thinking they'll still be ok because Easter eggs sit out for a few days and are still good, right? I didn't have time this morning to peel them so I don't know how they turned out yet, but will be sure to let you all know!

Richard, I knew I had heard something about how to prevent that gray color, but I couldn't remember what it was. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks everybody! For my next act I'll dial the phone for pizza delivery.......
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Not boiling them 12 minutes will also help with the gray/green.

Of course you can eat them next day! Peel them and make egg salad sandwiches

This is how I was always taught...and how I do mine. I put the eggs in a pot, and cover them with tap water. Put them on the stove and wait for them to boil, once they are boiling, I time them 6 minutes. I sometimes leave them longer,but 6 minutes seems to do it...infact, i think i will go make some

Robyn

Only eat scrambled...on toast...........with Marmite...............
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

"Marmite" Is that like marmalade??

14. How nice to know ....Karen....that I am not the only one who has exploded eggs. Aren't they a pain to scrape off the ceiling?????

This is Marmite for you! I use to hate it, but love it now - spread thinly on toast.

http://www.c-wilkie.pwp.blueyonder.c...es/marmite.jpg

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.