Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you boil eggs?

Hybrid View

How do you boil eggs?

No, really, seriously. I know you boil the water then put the eggs in, but for how long? I've heard of "3 minute eggs" but I think those are kind of "rare"? I want mine to be completely done so how long do I leave them, and do I have to turn them?

As you can see, to Terry's chagrin, I'm no cooking aficionado.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I love the thought of a "rare" egg! I believe if you want to make sure they are hard boiled, it's best to heat the water in the pan from cold, don't add boiled water to the pan. I think 5 minutes would probably do it, but I'd leave them for 7-8. Just don't do as I once did, put the eggs on then get involved in a film. I remembered I was boiling eggs when I heard them explode in the kitchen. The pan had boiled dry. I couldn't get rid of the smell for days.

since i dont eat eggs i dont know, but as far as i know its between 5-10 and you could turn them over if you want, i guess it also depends on the flame you are boiling them but you could give a try at 5-7 so it doesnt gets overcooked........
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Just for amusement i googled this, and lo and behold:

http://www.goodegg.com/boiledegg.html

Good luck, T+P.

How do you boil eggs?

I have always set a timer for 12 minutes to boil eggs & they have always been good.. Also if you put vineger in the water while boiling your eggs will peel just perfect..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    My husband's breakfast favorite is what he calls "six minute eggs". They are still runny and goopy after 6 minutes. So, if you want hard boiled, you'll need to boil them longer than that.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

You put the eggs in a pot and cover them with water, several inches above the eggs. Start with cold eggs, cold water and start the boil slow to "set" the egg. If they are covered with the water, there is no need to turn them, they will cook. I would boil (on medium) at least 10 minutes.. cut them off and let them sit a few minutes, then pour out the hot water and cover with cold water, dump that and cover with cold water again until the water stays cool.. Peeling immediately helps them to peel easier. (I always add some salt to my water before they start to boil too to help them peel easier)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Debbie, you can't be serious!!

Ok, boil enough water to cover the eggs. When it boils, put them in, I usually prick a hole in them to avoid them cracking (I'm talking about 1-2 eggs here). If you want them "softboiled" white solid but yolk soft, leave them in for 5-6 min. then put cold water on for ten seconds to stop the heating process. If you want them hard boiled, but still with a kind a softy yolk, leave them in for 8-9 min.
    Last edited by Randi; 03-12-2010 at 10:00 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Yay! Someone else to join me in the "microwave compatible" club!

Don't feel bad - I had no clue how to boil eggs, either! I don't even know how long to fix a hamburger.

I don't mind baking but I LOATHE cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat
    I don't even know how long to fix a hamburger.
    You "fix" a hamburger leaving out the "pickle".......

T&P..

To keep the yolks from turning gray, let them cool by themselves....they will turn the nice yellow color you see on the cooking channel!

LOLOL

Only on PT could anyone post a question like that, get answers, suggestions and jokes from all across the planet.....

------------------------------

Great deviled eggs.

Boil and peel.
    mash and add mayo, a little brown or spicy mustard. some greens (parsley, chives or ????) Toast some rye bread and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    You put the eggs in a pot and cover them with water, several inches above the eggs. Start with cold eggs, cold water and start the boil slow to "set" the egg. If they are covered with the water, there is no need to turn them, they will cook. I would boil (on medium) at least 10 minutes.. cut them off and let them sit a few minutes, then pour out the hot water and cover with cold water, dump that and cover with cold water again until the water stays cool.. Peeling immediately helps them to peel easier. (I always add some salt to my water before they start to boil too to help them peel easier)
    That's basically what I do too, except I didn't know about the salt trick.
    Earlier this morning I was looking in my refrigerator and thinking about boiling some eggs. Now I'm definitely going to have to, this thread has me craving them.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

How many pet talkers does it take to boil an egg?

One to post the thread.

Some to read the thread

More to volunteer advice.

A couple to admit to their culinary shortcomings.

The original poster to take advice, boil some eggs, forget about them, remember them later, then peel -do a careful examination of said egg, then proclaim she didn't get any bad advice.

How many PTers does it take to boil an egg?

Who cares when you have this much fun doing it and there are no pots to wash?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

As we speak I am boiling eggs, only I can't remember exactly when I put them on Just before I logged onto PetTalk actually but I have, after all, looked at a few other threads. hmmm, I'll just have to wing it! What I do is wait until I can spin them and they twirl, not wobble. (good trick, and it works!).

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    How many pet talkers does it take to boil an egg?
    I've been waiting for that one!

I'm in the process of using an egg, but for dipping a pork shop in, and then in breadcrums. If I keep sitting here, I'll never have my dinner.

If I told my friends and family that I'm a member of a board where fifty people have posted about how to boil an egg ..... what do you think they'd do!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    How many PTers does it take to boil an egg?

Who cares when you have this much fun doing it and there are no pots to wash?
    Reminds me of lemonade for some reason..... The good news is Mario wasn't involved in this one. Mario and eggs can get quite messy.

You guys are all right - who would have ever thought a simple question would turn into such an entertaining thread, not to mention a craving around the world for boiled eggs! I figured I'd get a few "What kind of idiot are you?" posts, one or two good advice ones and that would be the end of it.

Barbara, have a quite a few glasses of wine, try the Gimpet paste and let us know if it tastes like Marmite. I've never had Marmite so I wouldn't be a good tester - whew!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl