Thread: Here's a question for you ...

Here's a question for you ...

For one of my nephews (not a Pet Talk member) I made some hot chocolate mix as part of his Christmas present. I have some left over for myself, too. I have been kind of hoping for my favorite chai tea mis to go on sale - I usually drink it black, but like the creamy kind, too. So I looked up recipes to make Chai tea mix online, too. Why do they all use non-dairy creamer powder instead of, or in addition to dry milk powder? What's the point of that? As someone with food allergies, coconut among them, non-dairy stuff usually has a bunch of ingredients and something it it I am allergic to. Why complicate matters? Why not just use dry milk powder? Anyone know?

(Once I pick up some powdered tea I will make some with the dry milk powder, and report back in, I promise!)
    I've Been Frosted

The Non-dairy creamer adds mouthfeel (Yes, from my years in QC in a beverage plant, it's actually a term). Dry milk powder is fat free, so the Non-dairy creamer replaces the fat.

It adds richness/body to the liquid.
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 01-06-2015 at 07:16 AM.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    The Non-dairy creamer adds mouthfeel (Yes, from my years in QC in a beverage plant, it's actually a term). Dry milk powder is fat free, so the Non-dairy creamer replaces the fat.

It adds richness/body to the liquid.
    Hmm, okay, I wonder how little I can get away with ... Gotta love a good edible experiment!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hmm, okay, I wonder how little I can get away with ... Gotta love a good edible experiment!
    You could just add a touch of butter, which is what is used in real chai.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    You could just add a touch of butter, which is what is used in real chai.
    Ooh, I could do that! And there's only butter in butter! Excellent idea! Plan C is now in effect!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    For one of my nephews (not a Pet Talk member) I made some hot chocolate mix as part of his Christmas present. I have some left over for myself, too. I have been kind of hoping for my favorite chai tea mix to go on sale - I usually drink it black, but like the creamy kind, too. So I looked up recipes to make Chai tea mix online, too. Why do they all use non-dairy creamer powder instead of, or in addition to dry milk powder? What's the point of that? As someone with food allergies, coconut among them, non-dairy stuff usually has a bunch of ingredients and something it it I am allergic to. Why complicate matters? Why not just use dry milk powder? Anyone know?

(Once I pick up some powdered tea I will make some with the dry milk powder, and report back in, I promise!)
    I tried to research your question and came up with zip for the non-dairy comparison. Dry milk powder has a longer shelf life than fresh milk. Like Duh! Non-dairy is probably cheaper. Like Oleomargarine. I use real milk products, even though I get milk dermatitis. I've not been keen on lots of artificial ingredients and hidden additives, even before I developed allergies.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Okay, experimenting has commenced:

"Taste of Home" recipe

2 cups sugar
    2 cups unsweetened instant tea
    1-1/2 cups powdered French vanilla nondairy creamer
    1-1/4 cups powdered nondairy creamer
    1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
    2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1-1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
    1-1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
    1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/c...#ixzz3OGae9j1l

Instead (given what I had on hand)

2 cups confectioner's sugar
    2 cups unsweetened decaf instant tea
    1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
    2 teaspoons ground cardamom
    1 teaspoons ground cloves
    1 teaspoon ginger

The above recipe says to use milk to make it, with 1/4 cup mix
    I will try this with hot water, as I left out
    all the nondairy stuff for bulk anyway ...

Revision 1:

Add 1/2 cup more unsweetened tea
    2 teaspoons more cinnamon

And I think this is the keeper for me! The first attempt I drank with 1 tablespoon of whipping cream added (I have some in the fridge left over from a weekend project) but it was not tea-tasting enough for me, so the revised attempt I mixed in the extra tea, did not add the cream, and it's a keeper!

I'll just add a tablespoon of cream when I am feeling indulgent!

Oh, and something I should post over in the "tips" thread - I rarely need more than a tablespoon or two of cream at any given time, and I get annoyed when the leftover stuff goes to waste. So now I freeze it - one compartment in one of my ice cube trays neatly hold a tablespoon, so I can just thaw as many as I need next time I want some for a recipe!
    I've Been Frosted

For clarity, I used decaf powdered tea as that was the only kind I could find at the supermarket. But caffeine does not bother me one way or the other, anyway! So, the final recipe - which you can feel free to alter in terms of spices and quantity of them you prefer - I know some people don't like clove, for example, is as following:

2 cups confectioner's sugar
    2 1/2 cups unsweetened powdered instant tea
    3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground cardamom
    1 teaspoons ground cloves
    1 teaspoon ginger

Put it all in a mixer or food processor, whirl together.

To serve, use 1/4 cup of the mix for one mug of hot water, add milk or cream or whatever your preference if you want it creamier.

It makes at least 15 mugs worth, which is great!
    I've Been Frosted

Final recipe!

After a few versions, I think this one is best:

Nonfat Chai Latte Mix:

2 cups sugar
    2 1/2 cups unsweetened powdered instant tea
    3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3 teaspoons ground cardamom
    3 teaspoons ginger

Put it all in a mixer or food processor, whirl together.

Do not attempt to mix it by hand, as then you end up with brown sugar boulders, it needs the mixer or for processor, or even a blender will do, I bet!

The added ginger gives it a bit of zip, yummy!

And if you attempt this at home -

DO leave the cover on the food processor/mixer/blender for a minute or so after pulverizing the mix - otherwise cuts rises! Yummy, task dust, but dust nonetheless!
    I've Been Frosted