Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep my cats indoor or indoor/outdoor

Should I keep my cats indoor or indoor/outdoor

hello. in a few months Ill have to decide whether or not she will be allowed outside. Our yard doesnt have fences on all sides, the side without a fence is next to the road (very convenient) and so I am wondering you all think. Should I keep her inside or let her outside. I am very worried about lettign her outside as she might go across the road, or she may get attacked by the evil next-door cat , a burmese male called Milo. I would hate to have her inside all the time. I know lots of you people have happy indoor cats, though. i dont know if I could convince my folks to build a fence!! The next-door cat comes on our property, too though.

I keep all 3 of my babies indoors, and they couldn't be happier. If they were to go outside I would just worry about them the whole time, I think it is too dangerous outside (other cats, dogs, animals, cars...).

That is totally your decision. I keep all of my cats indoors, all the time. They are always happy - which is what matters most. If you do let your cat outside, make sure she is up to date on vaccinations, has proper identification and is spayed. Be prepared for the worst if she leaves and doesnt come back for a while. That happened to cats I had when I was younger and it ended up that they were hit by cars or eaten by a wild animal.

It is risky, but many cats live happily outside.

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

My cats are indoor/outdoor which is the norm here in my country anything else is considered cruel here, but that is NOT my opinion, infact since being on PT I think if you can build a lovely protected outdoor area that is the ideal IMO, and what i dream about having one day,that way you can be assured of their safety and also see them enjoy the great outdoors, PURRFECT, so if you can convince your parents to build an outdoor area for the cats then that would be the best life can offer them, otherwise probably best to keep them indoors, if you can.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Mine have never set foot on outside ground! I've never let my cats outside. The only exception was Chaz, who was adopted from a fish store. He was used to going outside briefly and always wanted to wander. We tried our best to keep him inside, but he was very sneaky and got out several times.

The last time he was hit by a car and I found him under the hedges in the alley. I cried for days.

It's just too risky; cats are good at getting out of enclosed places, no matter how secure we think they are.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

All ours are indoors only.
    Skinny and Cindy knew the outside life as strays, indoors is the Ritz Carlton to them
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I keep my Felix inside for the most part.The odd time he looks to get out I put his harus on and I have a long leash that goes up and down my cloths line in the backyard.I always supervise thou.I live around a very busy area for traffic.He also as an ID tag,just in case.I would never let him just roam the streets...its just too dangerous.

Felix's Catster Page- http://www.catster.com/?150963

Felix's Website Page- http://www.felinefelix.piczo.com

Beer's Dogster Page- http://www.dogster.com/?168340

I replied in your other thread about the dangers an outdoor kitty can face, so you already know my opinion

Seriously, like I said, it IS also an American idea. I know most european countries would think its absurd to keep a kitty indoors only. One magazine article I read that was written in England said that cats that live indoor try to commit suicide by jumping off balconies (read this only days after my indoor only kitty Pouncer took a fall off the balcony and broke his paw! LOL) but the truth is, indoor kitties can be every bit as happy and entertained indoors if you provide lots if interaction with yourself and other humans in the house. Give them plenty of toys to keep them active physically and emotionally.

PS: Saw your question about litter... the clumping can actually trun into a cement like substance when you add a lot of water, and it actually can block up everything inside her and kill her. Small kittens make huge messes and always are training water in their fur. Then when they step into the litter, it sticks to them. Then they groom themselves and injest the litter. Make sense?

Also, rule of thumb regarding litterboxes and multpile cats: one box per cat, plus one. So if you have 2 cats, you'd want 3 boxes. 4 cats = 5 boxes. I have 5 cats and 7 boxes. I tried to NOT do the rule of thumnb for the longest time saying that was stupid.... but trust me, its a good rule!

You are in New Zealand, so I'd say indoor-only. Why? Becuase cats have done so much damage to the native species on your lovely island, and you don't wnt your kitties killing off the last of something, do you? And you'd be setting a good example for others as well.

Only let your cats out if your garden is all fenced. Even then, it is necessary to supervise. As you say you live close to a busy street, I would keep the cats indoors!!

My 2 eldest cats are allowed outdoors, but only in our garden. Inka cannot escape due to her handicap, and Maya is to scared to escape. I don't know yet what we will do with both other cats, we will give it a try this summer.
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Fences mean nothing to a cat so that won't keep one off a road. Indoor-only cats are mentally healthy and can live a long, physically healthy life protected from attack by other animals, injury and exposure to life-threatening diseases like FIV and FIP. What they don't know about they don't miss.

The idea of a enclosure is a good one. If constructed properly it can provide access to the "outside" and provide security as well. I know two European cats who are indoor-only with one walked on a harness. She looks forward to the walks but expects the harness. She knows the rules.

My dear Dant้ was rescued from the street and didn't ever want to go back out. He spent his days on a protected balcony where he he watched the world go by or snoozed in safety and comfort. That was enough for him. His serious sleep was reserved for inside on the bed anyway.
    Randy

Cupcake and Ambush are both indoor cats. The last time they were outdoors was when they were strays. We have a screened in back porch that they love and spend a lot of time there and if they're not out there.........I have several birdfeeders near a window which keeps them entertained. So I'm more for keeping cats indoors, its much safer and you know where they are.

I have indoor/outdoor cats, but I know that most cat lovers would encourage you to keep your cats indoors and I totally agree. At the age my Mimi is at, it is too late to try and keep her inside, totally, but she really spends more time inside, than outside, and usually, when she is outside, she cuddles with the dogs on the deck, so is safe. Butter was an adult stray when he joined me 5 years ago. To even attempt to keep him indoors all the time would be disasterous for him and for us! But he tends to stay inside more and more as well. We keep a litter box set up at all times, but Mimi is really the only one who uses it.

If you can find a way to keep your cat inside, I would do it. Once they get a taste of the "great outdoors", it is hard to change that habit. And a fence isn't going to do any good. A cat enclosure is the best way to insure their safety if they go outdoors.

Logan

She is the perfect age to train on a harness! (NOT a collar).

I have seen very happy cats on a harness and leash that are tied to a large screw in the ground(like dogs have). You just have to be sure that the leash is not long enough to tangle around another object, like a tree.

And I have seen cats walking happily on a harness and leash. Might be an option for you.

My one cat was a wild outdoor one, my other guy dumped, but obviously used to being outdoors.

They are happy inside - they have toys and me and each other! In a second floor condo.

The risks are too heartbreaking otherwise.

I vote for INDOOR - with toys and attention and love.

hugs
    Catty1

I have had 3 Cats in the neighborhood killed by Cars,so I keep the Found Cats Inside.
    Scratchy,Orange Blossom and Orangie were all killed by Careless Drivers,and other Porchies were killed by the spread of FIP.
    I would keep Seafa inside as its better to be safe than sorry.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS