Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2006 winter Olympics.

The 2006 winter Olympics.

A few more weeks!!!

I am so frigging excited!!

----------------------------------

A few weeks ago I noticed a bus kiosk plastered with a poster with the lettering "Apolo" on the top and a pic of some guy.....It was Apolo Ono, the shorttrack speed skater!

A few days later I saw "Bode" - Bode Miller the downhill skier!

So far those are the only two adverts I have seen for the games.

I love the Skeleton, luge and Bobsleds. Short and long track speedskating, hockey and ski jumping! Super G and all the other skiing events.....
    The biathalon ROCKS but we don't get to see enough of that..I even enjoy CURLING!!!

I hope that we get even coverage of all sports.

------------------------

And I want to toss out a special "thanks for the memories" for
    Eddie the Eagle! The Brit bricklayer who made me laugh, the Jamaican Bob Team who make me scream, Cathy Turner who made me tough and the 1980 Hockey Team....they made me proud.

-------------------

Two and a half weeks?

I can hardly wait!!!

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    We'll get some (most likely all of Canada's games at least) of the coverage of Curling up here but then again that's because curling is like some kind of weird cultural thing in Canada, and yes if I had to I could sort of explain the basics of the sport..I'm looking forward to the hockey (both men and women) and the figure skating.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Crikit
    We'll get some (most likely all of Canada's games at least) of the coverage of Curling up here but then again that's because curling is like some kind of weird cultural thing in Canada, and yes if I had to I could sort of explain the basics of the sport..

LOL, It's darts with rocks.

And If I could find a woman who could sweep a floor that fast, I'd marry her in a heartbeat.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

new poster sighting!

Lindsay...I don't follow snowboarding so I do not know who she is....

Four More Days!!!! :d

ack - I love short-track. It is the most insane sport imaginable. I remember first catching it at some wierd hour on espn-8 or something like that. I was hooked.

Richard - forget the BBQ - I think I'll jump on a plane right now and come down and join you in watching the games. We seem to like alot of the same events.

I guess I've seen enough of the mainstream stuff over the years - I love the smaller sports that have been relegated to the cable markets.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Quote Originally Posted by catland
    Richard - forget the BBQ - I think I'll jump on a plane right now and come down and join you in watching the games. We seem to like alot of the same events.
    We'll warm up with the loooonnnnngggg skating events the first week.....I love the fact that the STS is the last week of the games......close out the games on a frenzy.

It's like taping knives to your shoes and running around the kitchen in circles....

Well, since Byron got a motorcycle so you could come to the BBQ can you bribe him with something else?

I watched REAL SPORTS on HBO last night.

Bryant Gumbel had a last-word kind of sign-off last night...

In it, he hinted that the Winter Olympics were crap and just a vehicle to boost the February TV ratings....he also alluded to the the number of black athletes entered in the Games were comparable to the number of blacks at a GOP convention.

At first I couldn't beleive that someone would blatantly critique the work that these people do just to get to the Games...

I love the stories of the cross country skiers from the Middle East, Jamaican bobsledders and all the other oddball participants.

It took me a minute to figure out that some outspoken nitwit can't help but
    lash out because he couldn't pack his bags for an Italian vacation on the company's dime.

Of course he'll end up with footage about some athlete that competed in the Games later on....you know.....for his show. Ratings being as the are!
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I'm watching the opening ceremonies right now. Fantastic!!! Go figure. A 9 yr old girl sings the Italian anthem. What a remembrance that will be for her. Richard, did you see that famous Italian singer carrying the folded flag??? Please...wipe the drool off your face.

Look out! Winter Olympics are headed my way in 2010. They will take place about 2 hrs. drive from me and there is construction going on all over the place
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    I'm watching the opening ceremonies right now. Fantastic!!! Go figure. A 9 yr old girl sings the Italian anthem. What a remembrance that will be for her. Richard, did you see that famous Italian singer carrying the folded flag??? Please...wipe the drool off your face.

Look out! Winter Olympics are headed my way in 2010. They will take place about 2 hrs. drive from me and there is construction going on all over the place
    That girl's rendition of the Italian anthem was gorgeous. I love other countries' anthems. I can't say I like ours much :X

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    I watched the opening cermonies twice. Once on CBC and once on NBC (CBC guys talked way to much and well Peter Manbridge was kind of annoying, not that anyone other then fellow Canadians will know who he is.) but they were cool, can't wait until the closing ceremonies when Vancouver gets to take over for the last half of the ceremonies should be interesting to see what they do in comparison to the Italians.

On another note...first hockey game starts today.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

Twas not dooling....she was beautiful tho..

The gal that sang the Italian Anthem lip sync'd it....No GRAMMY FOR HER!

LOVED THE FERRARI...

What was with the Parade of Nations?

I recognized MOST of the songs-they play all the time on the only radio station I get in my office....nothing but 80's rock and roll.

I thought the kid that won the Snow Board Gold did well during the medal ceremony....I was waiting for some Gen X exuberance....

"LIKE DUDE, IT WAS LIKE I WON, DUDE!"
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

That was Carla Bruni a supermodel.... not a singer.

The gal that sang the Italian Anthem lip sync'd it....No GRAMMY FOR HER!

I noticed too. Too bad.

LOVED THE FERRARI...

Me too!

What was with the Parade of Nations?
    I recognized MOST of the songs-they play all the time on the only radio station I get in my office....nothing but 80's rock and roll.

I have to say.... I was ashamed of the music selection my fellow Italians made for the parade. I know what the intention was though.... they wanted to choose "safe" music that most people knew. They could have done without YMCA IMO.

I thought the kid that won the Snow Board Gold did well during the medal ceremony....I was waiting for some Gen X exuberance....

hehe

I can't wait to see the Hughes and Miesner girls perform.
    Last edited by beeniesmom; 02-13-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    Yeah, what was with that? Our friend has a son at one of the local high schools. He said the guy that put all that music together graduated from one of our local high schools. Why in the world would a guy from Chicago Suburb, Midwest, USA being putting together the music for the Parade of Nations at the Olympics that are held in Turino, Italy? I've heard more people comment on this....so I think it's pretty obvious that he screwed up.

Terry thought the Ferrari was a neat touch too.

Bodi who?

And drat for Apollo.

Way to go Flying Tomato! Now if I could only remember how to say that in Italian......

Oh, and I really don't like cocky athletes. The US guy (from Texas) who won the speed skating - don't remember his name - 3 1/2 years ago he decided he wanted to skate in the Olympics. Now that he won he's saying this has been a life long dream. How does 3 1/2 years translate into life long? He's another cocky one I don't like, probably why I don't remember his name.

The Flying Tomato on the other hand, was humbled by the whole experience and I loved his interview after he won.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Way to go Flying Tomato! Now if I could only remember how to say that in Italian......

Il pomodoro volante!