Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tiger is very sick today

GGRREEAAATTT NEWS WAYNE

Wayne, I am so happy to hear that your kitty is back to normal. I know how upsetting it is, to be so darn helpless. If they could only tell us what happened, or where it hurts!

Last summer I grew some wheat for cats and my Vet (who found green grass in their stools)....said not to give them grass anymore. So I don't. Since my guys are indoor, I can control it.

This last annual (in Feb.) visit for Miley and Graemer, the Vet found a pine needle in Miley's ear. Yep, it had been there since Christmas. It never bothered her, but it would have eventually. I should probably invest in a little magnifier/vet looking glass to check their ears, noses etc. from time to time.

Cats, pets....aren't they wonderful!????

Again, I am so happy you were able to bring your cat back to good health!

Way to go Wayne! aka Dad to SO many kewl kitties!

sas, You have got that right! If they could only indicate where the irritation or hurt is, that would be such a big help to us. But generally they don't and the best we can do is to learn their body language. Now that I'm thinking about the whole episode, that something caught in her throat was not the most obvious What mis-led all of us was the barfing up of her stomach contents. This would automatically arouse suspecion that she had devoured something that made her sick. Also, that she eats whatever I eat, whether it is part of a cat's diet or not. But when the vet suggested that the problem was in her bronchial areas, this was news to me. So, we all live an learn and I'm sure that many of us got an education on this one.

........wayne

I just wanted to say that I am so glad that Tiger is okay.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

stenagrasaurus. Thanks for your thoughts. I had only recently visited your post, which was contemporary with mine, and I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Yes, I have lost a few myself, and it hurts, even if they have been with me/us for only a couple of years, and especially if they become part of the family. Since I have little or no family, my furkids are an adequate substitute. Do you plan to get another kitty? I certainly hope so. I visited the Visalia SPCA shelter a week ago, and they had a few cats, and there were a couple that I would have really liked to take home with me. In fact, the volunteers there were ready to sign me up as a foster home for them. I have enough felines around this place to keep me busy. But I am still tempted.

BTW your name is reminescent of an ophthalmosaurus, an actual fossil sea-going reptile. Do you study paleontology?

Wayne, thank you for your comments. We don't have any plans of getting a kitten any time soon. We'll just have to take the love that we have for Misty and spread it among the other eight animals that we have. It's always tempting to take in more but I think we are also at our limit. Of course, if the poor abused, neglected stray happens to come along, who knows.

No, I don't study palentology. I had gotten my name from a court reporter supply catalog. It's a joke. The definition of stenograsaurus is: "let the record show that the above is: 1. a skilled creature who can listen faster than anyone can speak, move their fingers in excess of 225 words per minute and go several hours without visiting the bathroom. 2. A harried creature who must endure unappreciative, fasttalking lawyers, overworked judges and mumbling witnesses. 3. A true, legal professional dedicated to the preservation of the record."
    Now that you know what I do, don't be making fun of any spelling errors. I'm not working right now.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Originally posted by Stenograsaurus
    No, I don't study palentology. I had gotten my name from a court reporter supply catalog. It's a joke. The definition of stenograsaurus is: "let the record show that the above is: 1. a skilled creature who can listen faster than anyone can speak, move their fingers in excess of 225 words per minute and go several hours without visiting the bathroom. 2. A harried creature who must endure unappreciative, fasttalking lawyers, overworked judges and mumbling witnesses. 3. A true, legal professional dedicated to the preservation of the record."
    Now that you know what I do, don't be making fun of any spelling errors. I'm not working right now.
    The mystery is solved!! I have always wanted to ask that question too!!!!

I'm thinking that a paleontoligist's deifintion of a stenograsaurus is a record-keeping lizard. Hmmm, I'm wondering if it lived during the Triassic, Jurassic, or the Cretaceous period?

............wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 04-16-2002 at 08:54 AM.

Wayne, I am glad that Tiger is so much better. These little monkeys just crawl right into your heart and stay there, so when they are sick, it is so upsetting! A blade of grass, never have I heard of that one.

This is one of the best parts of this forum, we all can learn so much from each other.

Give Tiger an extra hug.....from all of us!!

Wayne, I am so happy Tiger is so much better.

I've never heard of kitties get a blade of grass stuck like that before and was dumbfounded when I read your post. When I let Tubby out, the first thing he does is head for the grass. But since he's on a leash, I pull him back because all he does it throw it up once he gets back in the house. I feel so bad because I know how much he likes it, but I'm also worried because we live in a townhome, and I know they put something on the grass to kill the dandelions and other weeds, and I don't want him eating grass with some kind of chemicals on.

Soooo, good to hear that Tiger is back to herself, and the good that came out of it is that the two of you are closer than ever.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I have to say this whole episode reminds me of the time my daughter put a pea up her nose. Apparently it was spilled on the floor from a dish at dinner and picked up by the investigative 1 yr. old. The symptoms she had were runny nose, eyes, etc. When I took her to Dr. he found the pea and pulled it out with a probe. Now, 27 years later, we still laugh about it. So glad to hear your baby is feeling better. Love and hugs from Syl, CJ & Bubba

Mollymc. welcome to Pet Talk. I hope you enjoy being part of this forum as many of us " pet talkers" are.

Yesterday, Tiger was out in the tall grass near me, while I was "weed-eating" the weeds away. I hope there is not a next time for this episode, but if it does occur, then I will be more ready for it.

One thing about Pet Talk is the mutual education we all recieve by participating and commenting on the posts.

.........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 04-17-2002 at 07:03 PM.

Geez . . . who would ever think a blade of grass could get lodged up there?! I'm so glad to learn that Tiger is fine now, and the culprit has been apprehended . . . way to go, Dad!

Did your vet happen to mention if this was a rare occurance? As you say, maybe it did happen during her barfing . . . now I wonder how safe it is to grow container "cat grass" for indoor cats . . . I tried it for Lily, and when she would nibble on it, that always was a sign of tummy upset because shortly thereafter she would invariably hurl. Same thing with my dogs . . . when I notice one "grazing", I know what to expect next.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Ava Joy, No, I don't believe there would be any problems with any carnivores grazing, as long as the grass is kept short and soft. Apparently, what Tiger ate was coarse, and too long for her to adequately digest. I suspect that what she ate was mature foxtail, as the entire California countryside, from Mexico to Oregon, is full of it this time of year. I have not seen the vet yet to let him know about the occurance, but will be in that part of town tomorrow. and I plan to see him then.

........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 04-19-2002 at 06:58 PM.

Wayne - so sorry I'm late getting back to you - just so relieved that Tiger is well and truly over her horrible experience . Who'd have thought a blade of grass!! Amazing!
    Please give her (when you next see her dashing past!) a couple of head bumpies and if allowed a couple of nose kisses xxxx

Mollymc welcome to Pet Talk - such a funny story of your daughter - bet she loves the retelling 27 years later!!!!

Lynne