Thread: Dog Toys (other than Kongs)

Dog Toys (other than Kongs)

I think I posted about this before, but I can't find the thread. No matter what I do, I can't get Roscoe to get interested in his kong. What other toys would keep his attention while we are not home? He likes ropes, squeaky rubber balls, stuff like that, but he doesn't seem to play with them unless we are home. I think he still has a little bit of separation anxiety (although he has gotten a lot better with it) but I think a fun toy would really help. Any ideas? Thanks!

I am not going to be much help, because my dog doesn't play by herself (neither did my first dog, I think it must be something I am doing wrong). But, one thing you may want to try is one of those heavy feeder balls that he can roll around and make treats fall out of. He may like that. Both of my girls were perfectly happy just looking out the window all day.

Anything is worth a try I don't want him to get too bored when he's home alone, but he doesn't seem to get interested in much. Thanks!

My dogs aren't too interested in kongs, either, unless there is food in there. Peanut butter works pretty well for it though because it takes a while for them to get it all out, and Adele especially will keep working at it until every speck is gone.
    Does Roscoe like stuffed toys? Marta really likes playing with stuffed toys with a squeaker, even by herself. She just loves the feel, and the sound it makes. She has a cool Booda octopus that has squeaky tentacles and rattles, too that she really likes (she keeps it away from Adele though ). Like Ginger's Mom suggested, maybe a feeder toy? They make some really neat looking ones, but I've never tried one.

I've put everything I can think of in his kong, even his absolute favorites, and they are still in the kong when I get home. I'll put a milkbone or something in it with one end sticking out and he'll bite off whatever is sticking out and leave the rest Roscoe likes stuffed toys, but he destroys them. Especially if they have a squeaker, because he wants to get the squeaker out His other toys that he loves he doesn't play with unless one of us is home.

I've heard of nylabones (sp?) do those work?

Have you tried putting some meat, peanut butter, or cheese in the kong? Maybe if you do that he will pay a little bit of attention to his kong. If you have already tried that or it doesn't work, there are some kong ropes... There is a rope that's threaded through the kong.

i dont have any toys like that that i use. but zero will play with soccer balls by himself in the backyard, its hilarious. he will sprint around the yard pushing it with his nose, and kicking it with his legs. so funny

I've put everything I could imagine in the kong - from regular dog treats, to peanut butter, to people food that he would normally love. Always still in the kong. *Sigh* What a crazy dog

Sammyj was never interested in much untill I got yollie..and he is getting better at playing but not by himslef..they play great togather..and he loves to watch her..shes all over the place, and he will go get a toy for fetch now and bring it to me..its really cute..

I actually have thought of getting him a playmate, and that might still be a consideration. The only thing that worries me is my two cats. They are still pretty scared of Roscoe, and introducing them to another dog might be too much. Maybe if Roscoe was smaller, and we could just get another small dog. But I'd have to get him a large playmate! Hubby and I have to talk about that some more.