Thread: So frustrating: Luna's lab results are back - negative!

So frustrating: Luna's lab results are back - negative!

Well, on the first sight, this sounds like good news, but it isn't. As reported here, my vet sent Luna's urine sample to a lab for a urinalysis, and we were hoping to find e.coli or another kind of bacteria to give her a systematic treatment - but there's nothing.

My vet has just called me because she's been in her office this weekend and saw the lab has faxed the results on Saturday - earlier than expected. So she called me to give me the news.

The entire thing is so confusing and frustrating. One option could be that there HAVE BEEN an bacterial infection, but at the time I got the urine sample, the Lasix has already flushed out all the germs. Since antibiotics always help Luna (at least temporarily), there must be some kind of bacterial infection, right? A previous urinalysis two weeks ago already ruled out crystals, but they found some blood cells and bladder tissue cells, but no cells coming from the kidneys (which is good according to my vet, because it means the kidneys are most likely not affected).

My vet mentioned the possibility of a bladder polyp, even though she thinks it's unlikely, as in 99%, cats with symptoms like Luna's have a cystitis caused by bacteria. However, you won't find out about the polyp unless you open her bladder surgically or x-ray her with the help of a contrast medium. But my vet still thinks it's unlikely that Luna has that, or - even worse - a tumor.

Anyway, surgery or this kind of x-ray shot is an ordeal my vet would like to avoid for Luna, and she would prefer to try the e.coli immunization (as she thinks the symptoms are still typical for that).

Also, we will take blood from Luna tomorrow, I want to be sure about her kidneys etc., especially as her fur isn't looking good lately.

I'm very nervous and worried about Luna, and I would have definitely prefered a positive e.coli test result.

Please keep my Luna in your thoughts. I love her so very much, and I hope she's not seriously ill!

Kirsten

Your vet certainly is on top of things with Luna. If the treatment for e-coli isnt to harsh/harmful to body organs than I would try that route. Yes, antibotics clear up bacteria, but there is always a source to that bacteria. It appears the source of all the bacteria problems remains a mystery with Luna, that would be the frustrating part. Would your vet consider doing blood workups on a more regular basis to compare results? Maybe a pattern might develope that would make things more clear.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

If the treatment for e-coli isnt to harsh/harmful to body organs than I would try that route.
    Yes, this is what she said. She said it won't be too harmful to her, so it's worth a try.

Would your vet consider doing blood workups on a more regular basis to compare results? Maybe a pattern might develope that would make things more clear.
    Well, maybe that would be an option. Of course Luna hates to have blood taken from her, and I already feel sorrry for her when I think of tomorrow.

Kirsten

Kirsten, I'm sorry to hear that Luna's problem is still a mystery but your vet sounds wonderful. Hopefully the e-coli treatment will help her. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Kirsten I really do feel for you, and I know exactly what you're feeling. I am experiencing the same thing with Pouncer. Right now he's responding positively to the meds, but in the back of my mind I am expecting to see him straining a week from now once he's being weaned off the steroids.

Poor Luna. I'm sorry to hear that she hasn't been well. I hope the vet will be able to get to the source of Luna's problems.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for her and ((((((HUGS)))))) for the nervous meowmie.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I too understand the frustrations associated with NOT KNOWING! Lucas (and his diarrhea) has been doing well for many months when all of a sudden the liquid poop is back. WHY? We don't know.

So here are many thoughts and prayers for you and Luna and hoping you can solve the mystery.

Awww kristen, I know you are so worried about your sweet Luna. Special prayers are being sent. Please keep us posted as soon as you know anything!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thank you everyone!

I don't know why, but I'm terribly worried atm. Maybe I'm just overreacting. Our vet just took blood from Luna, and I will probably get the results on Wednesday. I'm so nervous. I'm just worried that they find that something's wrong.

Kirsten

I can't say much- as it is really difficult to see what could be wrong with Luna- but I send my best thoughts to you and your girls.

Thank you! Right now, the entire thing is really depressing. I don't know why I'm so nervous; my vet says that most likely it's "only" her bladder problems, which alone is bad enough. Hopefully there's not anything else!

Kirsten

Prayers for Luna(and Kirsten,too)that nothing bad shows up in the lab work!
    Nine is Fine!!

Thank you!

Kirsten

Kirsten, while I am relieved that the results were negative, I totally understand why you are still very frustrated. I wish there was something that would make this all easier to figure out for your sweet girl. Hang in there!

(((hugs)))
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!