Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Pet Peeve

Current Pet Peeve

My current pet peeve...which really makes me shudder, and almost hurl...

How "John Deere" is popular. Gosh, I could PUKE. It makes me sick to my stomach. I was in St. Louis, I don't know the population, my guess is 4 million. They have JOHN DEERE shirts. People buy them because its "popular". Like...OH. MY. GOSH. Ugh! I'm sure more than half of the people who own a "John Deere" shirt don't even know what it is! It's a farm equipment manufacturer, not some damn popular logo you can wear on your shirt and look cool in!

It really makes me mad because I live in Saskatchewan, a village of 380 or so people. We own a farm, we own more than one piece of John Deere equipment, a tractor, a combine and a pull type combine. The problem is, I would enjoy wearing a shirt with John Deere on it. But you see, now that its "popular", if I wore it, people would think I was trying to be cool. It takes away from the whole thing!! GAH!!!!!!!

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself, but I just DON'T think it should be popular.
    Same with "trucker caps". Do people even know WHY they are called "trucker" caps? My dad wears a "trucker" cap almost every day BECAUSE WE FARM. It's a farm thing. I gagged when they became 'popular'. Sure, whatever, fine and dandy I accepted it now.
    But when things like this are made popular, it makes it REALLY frustrating for people who liked to wear those things BEFORE THEY WERE POPULAR. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

Lol so anyway, that is my pet peeve. Yeah so I kind of went on a rant, but I cringe every time I think about John Deere being "popular". I feel a bit better now.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

I live in St Louis and I see where you're coming from, but I never see ANYONE wearing John Deere shirts or hats. I see them sold in stores, but I never see ANYONE wearing them hehe

facebook

I do understand what you saying. I would love to get a sweatshirt for john deer.......... of corse now i AM NOT! I understand completly!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Oh and the trucker hats? I agree completely. That was a horrible, HORRIBLE trend. I am SO GLAD that phase has passed. I personally think they are so ugly lol

facebook

well i'm a fan of john deere because that is where my dad works but there are people at my school are acting all like oh my goodness i got a john deere sweatshirt and i'm like wow i thought you said you hated john deere but they say they like it because it's popular and i'm like that is not why i'm wearing it.
    [muneca]&[chiquita]

I understand you completely. The city people in WI wear John Deere and the country folk like myself prefer Oliver farm equipment and still wouldn't be caught wearing an oliver shirt. I'm often a victim of "before it was pop culture". Like remixed songs from the 60's that teenagers actually think are new songs. They ask how I knew the words to a song that just came out. Duh I've known the song for my entire life.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I've seen that fabric in the fabric stores and wondered what in the world people did with John Deer fabric! Make curtians for their tractors??

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    I've seen that fabric in the fabric stores and wondered what in the world people did with John Deer fabric! Make curtians for their tractors??

That would be hilarious if they did now the sun won't be in there eyes but ya i seem to wonder they also make other tractor companies feel bad hello..... like Cat, Brigham, etc....they probably work harder than john deere!
    [muneca]&[chiquita]

It's popular here too. In little old Ashland KY.

Doesn't bother me though.

I could really care less.

It's a fad. It will blow over in a few months.
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    ACTUALLY . . . my little cousin, who is a few years older now, used to absolutely LOVE John Deere EVERYTHING! He had all the toys! His mom did his room in John Deere . . . put up a John Deere border, painted his walls green & yellow . . . and made him curtains with John Deere fabric.
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

Quote Originally Posted by christa
    ACTUALLY . . . my little cousin, who is a few years older now, used to absolutely LOVE John Deere EVERYTHING! He had all the toys! His mom did his room in John Deere . . . put up a John Deere border, painted his walls green & yellow . . . and made him curtains with John Deere fabric.
    I have a cousin who loved that stuff when he was younger too. My mom's dad is a farmer and my cousin lives in D.C. (my grandfather lives in Texas) so he used to LOVE visiting grandpa on the farm and seeing all the tractors. He loves anything with the John Deere logo on it because to him that reminded him of grandpa.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Christa, I would love to see a picture of that room! That had to be just the cutiest! You have satisfied my curiosity of what they fabric was used for.. I never realized there was such a "fad" with John Deer stuff.. It was not a fad around here so I guess that is why I didn't know.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

My grandfather was appalled when his standard demin overalls, which he'd worn around the farm for YEARS became "fashionable" when I was in high school. Why did he care? Their price just about doubled in a year - and he had trouble getting them in his size suddenly, even from the place he'd brought them for year upon year. (Admittedly, he needed an odd size, as he was a squarely built individual - broad shoulders, but not that tall.)

Though it was adorable, because when they made them for babies a few years later, my nephew looked all for the world like a miniature version of his great-grandfather - down to the hairline, and the rolling gait. Grandpa's rolling gait was from years of walking with one foot in one row of the garden, and the other in the row next to it. Jimmy's came from the fact that he was diaper-age, but still, it was cute!

You just keep wearing - and liking - your John Deere stuff. Good tractors, them there machines. And if anyone questions you, you can drawl, "Honey, I wore John Deere before it was "hot," and I'll wear it after the fad has gone away. My loyalty is toward the tractor, not the fashion."

I hate music fads. I've loved Green Day for a long time. Just now since American Idiot was made, EVERYONE loves Green Day. It bugs me when I'm humming a song made before that cd , such as Brain Stew, and people are like "Cool Song! What band?" and I answer Green day and their like "no it's not!" and I'm like "yes it is" and their like "I would know! I have their CD!" THAT SONG WAS MADE AROUND 1992!!! It bugs me.

I also don't understand why things like John Deere are so popular. I saw someone wearing one when I was in San Antonio and I asked why they were wearing a tractor company shirt and they said "You idiot! John Deere is a clothes brand, not a tractor company!"

Made by I_luv_rusty
    ***I've been Frosted!***

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesRawk
    I asked why they were wearing a tractor company shirt and they said "You idiot! John Deere is a clothes brand, not a tractor company!"
    To which you replied - "I'm not the idiot in this conversation! It's been a tractor company for over 150 years. It's not their fault they suddenly became "fashionable!"