Thread: Stupid in America?

Stupid in America?

They just did a promotion for this program on ABC...tonight!

It sounds good...it's about schools in America!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Hmmmm... hubby as a teacher should find interest in it. He'll either get fired up about it or nod his head saying "THAT'S what I deal with every day!"

He gets up in arms because people think teachers should not only impart knowledge but also be parole officers, surrogate parents, and a host of other roles. Don't even get him started on state standardized testing, where teachers are basically forced to spoonfeed tests to kids so they know the correct answers for the tests and nothing else.

I saw the guy who hosts it on The View yesterday. It looks interesting, I'll probably watch it. Thanks for reminding me

Well, the media don't help. On cnn.com I read a phrase that included a grammatical error. There are many spelling errors and grammatical errors on captioning.

I didn't see the piece, but grade inflation has gotten worse than ever, IMO. Standardized tests are the worst idea, if the teacher only teaches to the test. I remember taking a very difficult chemistry test in high school, and while the teacher didn't teach specifically to it, he taught a thorough chemistry course which ended up covering everything in the test.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

That was a real eye-opener. I can't believe the vouchers were turned down! And it was so close in one state, about 60 to 53 or something. I think the vouchers would make a world of difference here. And those few schools who didn't have to follow the school board, they were awesome. I think people in the government just want to stick with what they have because it'd be too much work to switch.

Think about it: We're in need of more doctors and nurses in this country because of the baby boomers, but how are the kids going to get into college for that at the rate this is going? If we did something now so many more people could become doctors or nurses.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Rats! I missed it. We have several teachers in the family, so I really wanted to see it. One of my friends teaches creative writing in Middle School. They are not allowed to correct spelling, grammar or punctuation because it might inhibit the "creative process".

So, now you know why we've got a generation of Americans who can't write or spell but can express their thoughts and opinions "oh, so creatively".
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I think the most important teaching starts at home. Kids today are taught that what they want is more important than anybody else. There is NO respect or consideration for anyone else, no manners, it is a "all about ME" world.

I worked at a school for 21 years and when I first started, the kids were happy and carefree and fun to be around. When I left they were rude and unhappy people who didn't care about anything.

It STARTS at HOME! NOT in the classroom!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

As I thought it would, it irritated hubby to the nth degree. It was soooo against public schools.

They neglected to mention so many things and made public schools look like a bunch of bungling idiots. So much of what teachers can and cannot do anymore is dictated by the state and their hands are so tied by what they can and cannot say. They are bombarded with paperwork and they have kids from ALL learning levels in their classes, not just special needs or geniuses. They have both kids in the same class with anything in between. Unlike the special school shoewn as shining examples -- those school had one type of student. Of course they'll be more successful! They deal with one learning style and can hand tailor teaching methods.

The teenager who couldn't read? Where was mom when he was 5 before he started 1st grade? I knew how to read before 1st grade. PARENTS need to teach their klids the basic and the schools should reinforce and expand on their knowledge.

And why don't the majority of American kids do well on tests? they are sooooo mind-numbed from TV and the internet. Most kids in forgeign countries do not spend the amount of time in front of TV and the computer our kids do. How can we cpompare the American education system to other countries when its the extracurricular activities that affect them most?

Then our kids idolize musicians and such that can't even spell their "names" right. Oh, and internet slang? HUGE disservice to American kids! And just how is THAT the responsibility of the public school system?

I agree with you 100 percent Kim, the parents have to be there too, the schools can't do it alone.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper

The teenager who couldn't read? Where was mom when he was 5 before he started 1st grade? I knew how to read before 1st grade. PARENTS need to teach their klids the basic and the schools should reinforce and expand on their knowledge.

And why don't the majority of American kids do well on tests? they are sooooo mind-numbed from TV and the internet. Most kids in forgeign countries do not spend the amount of time in front of TV and the computer our kids do. How can we cpompare the American education system to other countries when its the extracurricular activities that affect them most?

Parents who don't make time to be around to talk to their children
    about homework & actually check to see if the child understands whats
    being taught in school, actually shouldn't be surprised that their child
    can't read. Education should be teamwork between the school & the
    parents.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    Parents who don't make time to be around to talk to their children
    about homework & actually check to see if the child understands whats
    being taught in school, actually shouldn't be surprised that their child
    can't read. Education should be teamwork between the school & the
    parents.
    LOL,
    I see the Home Improvement/Home Sales shows and everyone wants a HOME OFFICE!

These morons don't care about kids....

They are too busy trying to make money to give them everything THEY/WE didn't have
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.