View Poll Results: Take Halo to the vet?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Now just in case

6 66.67%
  • Wait as long as she's feeling fine

3 33.33%
  • Nope

0 0%

Thread: HALO -- What would you do?

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

HALO -- What would you do?

Halo is turning out to be a Medical Mystery Kitty. (Halo's most recent health crisis is here).

The fatty tumor on her liver is growing again. As I was leaving for the airport on Tuesday, I noticed it is much larger than just a month ago. It seems to grow and shrink on its own.

Halo is feeling well. She's eating and playing normally. She's not sleeping any more than usual. So, should I take her to the vet anyway? Or should I continue to monitor the situation and if she starts getting "mopey" take her back?

She is terrified of the vet (not really the vet -- but the carrier). She still runs and hides from me when I'm carrying a box, suitcase, laundry basket (anything that remotely resembles a carrier). I hate to keep traumatizing her. And the one time I got the bright idea to just carry her in my arms while Bobcat drove to the vet, she peed in fright all over me. She just hates any kind of change at all. Money is not the problem. We can afford to take her.

So, what would you do?
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Is it possible to call the vet and get his/her opinion? I really think that would be best since they already know her history. I know what you mean about her being terrified. Peanut has always been that way about the vet, and is even more so since her surgery last year. I keep her confused with the carrier because sometimes all we do is go in the motorhome - which is no big deal to her - but other times we go to the vet and that terrifes her.

I really think calling the vet would be the best idea. They may give you thinks to look/feel for, or they may want you to bring her in right away to get ahead of the tumor before it gets too bad.

Good luck and here's hoping it will just go away on it's own again like it did last time.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I too would start with a CALL to the vet. Tell them that you are uncertain as to your next step.

on one hand you wouldn't want to end up taking her "too late" and on the other hand you would prefer not to traumatize her with the trip.

Hopefully they won't be the type to just AUTOMATICALLY say "bring her in".

Can you arrange a home visit by the vet?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

I have to agree with TopCat, any chance the vet could make a home visit>> Hoping for the best for Halo!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

just like you are having AIDS, feeling fine until it's too late.

I think I should keep calling, bothering until I get a few opinion/option(s) that move us further - the tumor shouldn't keep getting bigger.

do you think you are sure you have tried everything, every test?

and for halo to be checked by someone, vet could come!

prayers? always available! {{{halo}}}
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

I'm sorry to hear this. I agree with the others that you should call your vet and explain what's going on. I hope that everything will work out and that Halo will be fine. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

I'm sorry to hear this is going on right now. I agree with the others about calling the vet and explaining how you feel the stress and anxiety she experiences bothers you, and you;d like to know if a home visit was possible.

Perhaps the vet will ask you to explain what is happening and they'd then determine if a quick stop by your house is merited or if an office visit is necessary so that he/she could run Xrays and such.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    I'm sorry to hear this is going on right now. I agree with the others about calling the vet and explaining how you feel the stress and anxiety she experiences bothers you, and you;d like to know if a home visit was possible.

Perhaps the vet will ask you to explain what is happening and they'd then determine if a quick stop by your house is merited or if an office visit is necessary so that he/she could run Xrays and such.
    I agree with what Kim says.

Since I don't visit cat health too often, I am just seeing this now and read the whole thread that you made earlier. What a scary time for you. I am so happy to hear that Halo is doing so much better and pray that she continues to do so. I also pray that the growth will shrink on it's own like the last time.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I got here a bit late, but agree a call would be first. Then I'd ask about a mild sedative to give Halo before she goes to the vets the next time. It takes about an hour to work, but would relax the poor girl so she doesn't stress out so badly. Prayers that it's nothing serious Lisa.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Kuhio98, what's the latest on this? How's Halo?
    You're evidently unsure what steps to take next. I think I might be considering a 2nd opinion, if it were me. If money isn't an issue, I'd just go off quietly and get a 2nd opinion, and still have the first vet home (so as not to stress Halo with two clinic visits in the catcarrier).

I think that might set your mind at rest.

Or call a university that does extensive cat research, like we have in Sydney, there's a Uni with cat research division my vet actually liaises with all the time. He also lectures there. They would be happy to talk to you I'm sure.(EDIT: A uni in the USA I mean, it reads like I meant you should call Sydney!)

Let us know how it goes. Hugs and prayers for Halo.
    TopCat
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)