Thread: Question about transports?

Question about transports?

I've been looking into getting a cockatiel. I found a person in Wakefield, OH that is willing give me a bird. Only problem it is little far for me to drive. I would be willing to meet someone halfway if I could find someone from that area.

I really don't know how to go about it really. Would it be worth it? Do I pay for gas for the people do the transport?

I really wanted find a bird around here. But I don't want go to a pet store. I'd much rather find a breeder.

Is there anyone from that area would be willing to meet me halfway?

Would it be stressful on the bird if it traveled for 2 hours to meet me and another 2 1/2 hours get back to my place?

I haven't gave the person my final answer yet. They have some 4 month old cockatiels now, or I can wait 3 weeks she has a bird on some eggs now.

Any info or opinions will be appreciated.

I'm not really posting a reply but just to let you know you may get more answers if you post in Pet General

About the paying for gas, I would definatly offer to pay if someone was doing the journey for you

I've been trying to get into animal transports for months, its usually volunteer but a friend of mine who owns the local doggie pound pays her transporters if they go far out. nobodys sent me any news on transports in my area though

Ok, thanks to both of you. If I do find someone they would probably have to drive 2 hours or little over 2 hours meet me halfway.

If this does not work out. I guess I can always wait and see if anyone closer to where I live have any cockatiels.

I might put this in Pet General later. I need to find out for sure how far this person is first.

By the time you pay for gas, you'd be better off just going to the local Petsmart and buying one for $30.

The travel would be INCREDIBLY stressful for the bird. 4 months old... is he done being hand fed? Have you ever hand fed a baby cockatiel? Talk about WORK! If you put the syringe in the "hole" in their throat and you'll kill the bird. Raising a baby from an egg is major dedication and you'll have to feed them hourly for the first few weeks.

You are right I should go to Petsmart. I think there might be one close by. I haven't really checked yet.

I have had a cockatiel before, but it was my parents bird. He is still living. They never could handle him though, he always bit them. That is why I want find one has been handled alot.

Petsmart wont have hand-raised birds, garunteed. If you want a friendly one, go to a breeder. The story on small pets in Petstores isnt any differnt than the dogs and cats they sell. I have yet to ever heard of or owned a healthy small animal from a petstore that also had a good personality.

You do that because your a good person who loves animals and deserves a job working with them. Still doesn't make up for all the birds I see in Petsmart daily with crap stuck to their feathers, or the puppies who just reek of urine.

Wow! I didn't mean for this post turn into a argument.

I'm going try Petsmart I found one that is about 1 1/2 hour way from me. I don't know how they are since I have never been. I think that will be less stressful then a 4 or 5 hour trip.

I'm still looking at breeders also. Just haven't found one yet or heard back from the people I have contacted.

I know very little about birds but I do know a thing or two about transports.

I've helped transport dogs from kill shelters to rescues. I volunteer my time and am not paid to do it. Usually it's broken down so that volunteers only have to drive an hour or two. Some volunteer to house a dog overnight if it's a multiple day trek.

If you set up a transport between you and the breeder, you shouldn't have to pay gas, but if you want to give those that helped a little money or a gift, it's not out of the question.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Kim, I didn't realize you got a job with petsmart, congratulations, I remember you interviewing for it. You would be great at that job.

I use banfield in petsmart for my veterinary care and they are wonderful.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I am sure there are some "bad" stores in any chain, but at least you know you're in a good one! We don't have PetSmart around her, just Petco.